Shooting Sunrises

Old September 9th 04, 04:27 AM
David Edwards

Default Shooting Sunrises

The other day while I was on the way to work I stopped to shoot a sunrise
that I had noticed over the last couple of years, looked particularly
interesting this time of the year. As I top a certain hillcrest, in the
valley usually is a light fog, with tree covered hilly terrain and the sun
is a huge red dot filtered through the haze instead of its usual bright
white. I have tried several times to capture this scene, but I can't seem to
get it right. What camera settings or filters do I need? I have been using
Fuji Superia 400 cause that's what I have a supply of, a Nikon N90s and f
stops from wide open to the other extreme. I have tried to focus on the
trees in the distance and using the focus lock, reframe the scene and shoot.
It just doesn't give me the colors I am seeing with my eyes. What do I need
to do differently?

--------
David E.
nitehawk01 at verizon dot net

Old September 9th 04, 05:08 AM
Colin D

David Edwards wrote:

[...]

If you are judging the color by prints from an ordinary processing lab,
then you can bet the printing filtration is set to average the scene to
grey. A sunrise consisting of red/orange clouds etc. will have most of
the color filtered out automatically. You might have to try a better
lab.

Colin D.

Old September 9th 04, 05:51 AM
Phil Stripling

"David Edwards" writes:

SNIP
stops from wide open to the other extreme. I have tried to focus on the
trees in the distance and using the focus lock, reframe the scene and shoot.
It just doesn't give me the colors I am seeing with my eyes. What do I need
to do differently?

Well, I'm curious why you think 'focus' has any control over the colors
you're seeing.

One suggestion is to switch to a slide film just to see if the lab you're
using for the prints is up to snuff. The other suggestion is to forget
where you're focusing and start using your camera's meter to read the sun
itself, then vary the exposure from the brightest to the darkest area in
the scene. On one roll of slide film. I'd suggest Velvia 100, 36 exposure,
and shooting every frame. Keep notes of what exposure you made for each
shot.

Old September 9th 04, 12:08 PM
Jim

"David Edwards" wrote in message news:h4Q%c.6248$5Y6.883@trnddc07...
First a GND filter would probably help a lot. Second switch to a more
saturated film for print Porta 160VC for slide E100VS. Also, try
bracketing over 1/2 and one stop.

Jim

* Check-out my web site at: http://SwensonStudio.com *
* landscape and travel photographs, featuring sunsets *

Old September 9th 04, 12:34 PM
Matt Clara

[...]

Use Fuji Velvia, a tripod, and bracket your shots. If you insist on print
film, try Superia Reala or Kodak Portra VC (less contrast), use a tripod,
and bracket your shots. You might be able to work in a graduated neutral
density filter to control the luminance of the sky.

Turn off your autofocus when shooting landscapes--it won't help a bit, and
is a major annoyance! (unless you can't see!)

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old September 9th 04, 09:09 PM
David Edwards

Jim, I checked out your web page. Those sunsets, and sunrises with the red
cast is what I was trying to get. Maybe it was the processor. I will have to
give your suggestions a try. Next year when my assignment rolls around again
I will have some different things to try. Thanks for the tips.

------
David Edwards