Digital Rebel Err99 shutter failure

Old June 20th 05, 03:16 AM
Jim Shaffer

Default Digital Rebel Err99 shutter failure

I have a Digital Rebel that's less than 6 months old and has taken
less than 2000 pictures. This afternoon it started flashing "Err99"
and not taking pictures. I've only used Canon lenses except for a
Vivitar macro. Cleaning the contacts didn't fix it. Taking out both
batteries didn't fix it. Searching around on the net, I found reports
of Err99 being produced by shutter failure. I tried the sensor
cleaning function and sure enough, the shutter didn't open. I'm going
to have to call Canon tomorrow. I'm thoroughly disgusted that it
happened with the camera so new. It's under warranty, but I'm on
vacation this week and I was hoping to get a lot of use out of the
camera. How common is this failure mode?