summary of Kodak downfall

Old February 12th 14, 03:17 PM posted to sci.engr.color,sci.image.processing,rec.photo.darkroom,rec.photo.digital,comp.soft-sys.matlab
Steve Eddins

Default summary of Kodak downfall

On 2/11/14 10:47 PM, Dale wrote:
On 02/11/2014 03:24 PM, Steve Eddins wrote:
MathWorks, the maker of MATLAB, is still a member of the ICC.

do they have a toolbox and does it contain a CMM?

The Image Processing Toolbox contains functions to read ICC profiles and
use them for color conversions.

http://www.mathworks.com/help/images/color.html

http://www.mathworks.com/products/image/
Old February 12th 14, 05:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo [_3_]

On 02/12/2014 11:33 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

snip

You keep calling it "Advantix". The standard was "APS", not "Advantix",
and Kodak was not the only player. I have in my possession a nearly
complete Minolta Vectis DSLR system. Film was made by Kodak, Fuji, and
Agfa. Cameras were made by Nikon, Canon, and Minolta among others.

APS as a whole was a failure, not just Kodak's product line within the
APS market.

I did not say APS was a failure, I said Advantix was a failure and it was.
Old February 12th 14, 05:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo [_3_]

On 02/12/2014 11:38 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
Sony Mavica,

I never saw one of those...but the company I worked for used an early
digital camera that put the images on a floppy drive. It was used to
record damaged freight.

That camera would be a nice collector's item today.
Old February 12th 14, 07:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Long after the Mavicas were of little interest to the ordinary
photographer, body shops were buying used ones for this purpose.

mavicas were never of much interest to much of anyone. they were awful
and a commercial failure. they were slow, big and clunky and didn't
produce very good results.

sony failed to learn from their mistakes and came out with a cd mavica
which was an even bigger disaster, partly because you had to use
proprietary sony cds. if you used ordinary cds, you had to suffer
through an ad of some sort, punishing you for not buying authentic sony
cds.

and then sony came out with memory sticks, yet another mistake.
Old February 12th 14, 07:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , philo*
wrote:

Sony Mavica,

I never saw one of those...but the company I worked for used an early
digital camera that put the images on a floppy drive. It was used to
record damaged freight.

That camera would be a nice collector's item today.

no it wouldn't.

for as little as $10 on ebay, you can have one. that's hardly 'a
collector's item'.
Old February 12th 14, 09:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Long after the Mavicas were of little interest to the ordinary
photographer, body shops were buying used ones for this purpose.

mavicas were never of much interest to much of anyone.

Let me guess...you took a flight on which there were people going to
the CAA (California Autobody Association) annual meeting and did a
survey in Coach of whether or not they ever used Mavicas.

you guessed wrong. try again.