Nikon D-100 users how good is it and what are the best lenses?

Old December 10th 04, 01:10 AM
vhl

Default Nikon D-100 users how good is it and what are the best lenses?

John A. Stovall wrote:
I'm thinking about getting a D-100 and a couple of lenses. what have
been the experiences of those with it about the shaper lenses and are
you happy with the camera?

I have had my D100 for over a year now and I am happy with it.
Its gone through 33,000+ photos. I've only had to take it to
repairs because I dropped it and bent the lens mount.

A Better lenses make a difference. I spent a few months using the
70-300AFG thinking it was pretty sharp at 300, but when I got
my 300/2.8. It blew it away (at any aperture).

How handy is it to use in a manual mode for focusing and selecting the
F if the speed is set? How is it at ISO 400 and higher?

Manual Exposure is not required for Shutter Priority. Just set it to
shutter priority, set the shutter speed and fire. Manual Mode means
that you have to set both Exposure Settings manually, ie. Aperture
and Shutter.

Manual focusing, I think, depends on the lens. For manual focus, I
prefer one with a big focus ring, but these days, seem like the
zoom rings are the fatter ones. On my two tele primes, the focus
rings are really good to use. (300/2.8 and 180/3.5).

Vin.
--
Vin
Melbourne, Australia

Old December 10th 04, 04:59 AM
4walls

If you are looking for a used one, I might be able to hook you up with
a friend who is selling his to upgrade to the new Fuji S3Pro. Drop me
an email if you are interested... fourwalls at gmail dot com.

Old December 10th 04, 04:59 AM
4walls

Old December 11th 04, 05:12 PM
Rainy

The D100 is a great camera but you also take a look at the Nikon D70.
Popular Photography named the Nikon D70 camera of the year for 2004. Not
only does it stack up against the D100 but it could also save you a few
hundred bucks! Please read http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d70.htm

"John A. Stovall" wrote in message
I'm thinking about getting a D-100 and a couple of lenses. what have
been the experiences of those with it about the shaper lenses and are
you happy with the camera?

How handy is it to use in a manual mode for focusing and selecting the
F if the speed is set? How is it at ISO 400 and higher?

"A people that take no pride in the noble accomplishments
of remote ancestors will never achieve anything worthy
to be remembered with pride by remote descendents."

Thomas Babington Macaulay
_History of England_

Old December 14th 04, 04:14 PM
adm

"John A. Stovall" wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 13:27:15 -0500, Ed Ruf
wrote:

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 18:25:18 GMT, in rec.photo.digital John A. Stovall
wrote:

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 12:12:22 -0500, "Rainy"
wrote:

The thing I like about the D-100 are the metal body and depth of field
preview features for starters...

FYI, while the D70 body is plastic there is a metal frame underneath. And
of course it too has a DOF preview function.

Once more I learn not to trust a sales person. I was told this was a
differentiating feature by a sale person in true camera store.

I'd take the D70 over the D100 (and in fact, that's exactly what I did do).

Better flash capabilities and metering, along with faster start up and
buffer size did it for me.

Old December 14th 04, 08:29 PM
Scott Schuckert

In article , John A.
Stovall wrote:

Once more I learn not to trust a sales person. I was told this was a
differentiating feature by a sale person in true camera store.

The D70 DOES have better electronics; while the D100 has better
internal optics (a real pentaprism) and mechanical parts.

I'm told there will be an intermediate model in the spring, but whether
it'll be marketed and priced as a "D80" or a "D110" remains to be seen.

Either way, this is the one I'm waiting for.