Issue with Canon Autofocus?

Old August 9th 05, 08:02 AM
CharlieH

I would say all non manufacturer lenses can have probems
I had a Pentax MZ5 with a Sigma 170-500. It used to hunt a lot and was slow
whilst focusing. When I switched to digital I bought the 300D with another
Sigma 170-500 and a Tamron 70-300. The Sigma hunted and the Tamron was dog
slow. Bought a canon 100-400IS L and wow, Replaced the Tamron witha Canon
75-300 USM III (did not have funds for the IS) and dead happy with speed and
focusing capabilities. I have had no problem since fitting Canon lenses to
my 300D and 350D, just miss the 500mm though

Charlie

"David P. Summers" wrote in message

G.T. wrote:
"David P. Summers" wrote in message

I'm considering buying the Canon Digital Rebel XT. Someone suggested
that they may have heard that the autofocus on the camera doesn't work
as well as some of the other choices (such as the Pentax or the Nikon).
He had some difficulties, but he thinks it might also have been the
lens. How does the autofocus on that camera compare to similar cameras?

Depends on the lens.

Are you saying it may have trouble with some lenses? Or that some lenses
have trouble? Or that there is not problem other than how some people use
some lenses?

I've seen webpages like...
http://www.canon-dslr.com/
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...oversies.shtml
Have me wondering...

Those have nothing to do with the Rebel XT.

Well, one didn't say, and the other was a predicesor model. If there was
a problem with a previous model, the question is, was it fixed? If not,
then that would say that what I've heard can be discounted...

Are you just a troll?

I'm someone trying to figure out if a concern about a purchase is a real
issue. I don't know why using the internet has to mean someone will
question your motives even when you are being quite sincere.

Old August 9th 05, 10:01 AM
Colin D

RichA wrote:

snip
I would look to see if the actuator pin that moves the autofocus mirror is
plastic, or metal. The digital Rebel EOS 300d is plastic, and mine broke at
9000 shutter clicks. Not happy. I don't know if the XT is plastic or metal,
but supposedly the higher end cam's are metal. The function of the autofocus
is fine, its the long term durability I am questioning.

So much for the durability and resiliency of polycarbonate versus
metal.

Jesus, Rich, you'll grab any straw to make your point, won't you?
You're as bad as Stacey. Nobody has said the actuator is made from
polycarbonate, probably nobody except Canon knows what it's made of.
The BODY is polycarbonate - the same stuff they make aircraft
windshields from. Tupperware it's not.

Get a grip.

Colin D.
Old August 9th 05, 04:58 PM
Bill Funk

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 01:23:56 GMT, "David P. Summers"
wrote:

G.T. wrote:
[...]

Personal opinion:
If, after reading the published reviews, as well as other sites
discussing he camera, you're not sure if it is the camera you should
buy, then don't buy it. There are many other choices out there. It
won't bother other Canon users at all.

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
Old August 9th 05, 06:19 PM
David P. Summers

G.T. wrote:

I'm someone trying to figure out if a concern about a purchase is a real
issue. I don't know why using the internet has to mean someone will
question your motives even when you are being quite sincere.

If you were all that sincere you wouldn't be quoting web pages that have
nothing to do with the Rebel XT. The date on one is from 2004 long

before
the XT was released, and the other is regarding the 10D, a camera that is
two revisions before the XT.

I think it is relevant. They speak to whether canon has a fundamental
problem in their focusing. You may disagree, but that doesn't mean
someone else isn't sincere. I tried responding with a post asking for
you to elaborate, but not luck

I'm sorry, but you have been one of the least helpful posters here. You
have done nothing but try to be dismissive and assume that nobody might
have a concern where you don't. When you do say something, it is a
short comment that really doesn't say anything.

It seems clear that using charges of "trolling" are now a way of trying
to silence posts that one doesn't care for.

Old August 9th 05, 08:16 PM
Bill Hilton

David Summers wrote ...

Thanks to Larry and everyone else who posted useful comments. I think
I undestand the issue a bit better and will ponder what has been said

Here's a site which discusses the 10D "problem" in detail, you'll
probably find it interesting. As mentioned earlier, the Rebel XT model
you are looking at doesn't have this problem (neither did most of the
10D's, but some did).

http://www.photo.net/learn/focustest/

Bill