Sony H1

Old February 19th 05, 10:22 PM
Woodchuck Bill

Default Sony H1

It looks like the Konica Minolta Z series, has IS, is 5.1 MP, but it
only takes Memory Stick Pro and does not have a Zeiss lens. The lens
is 2.8-3.7, as opposed to the Panasonic FZ20's constant 2.8. Is this
camera a bit too little, too late, with the undoubtedly high Sony
price tag?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05...sony_dsch1.asp

--

Bill
Old February 19th 05, 10:56 PM
Larry

says...
It looks like the Konica Minolta Z series, has IS, is 5.1 MP, but it
only takes Memory Stick Pro and does not have a Zeiss lens. The lens
is 2.8-3.7, as opposed to the Panasonic FZ20's constant 2.8. Is this
camera a bit too little, too late, with the undoubtedly high Sony
price tag?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05...sony_dsch1.asp

Well, I didn't believe this camera was real... If Sony has gone backward to a
camera that only uses Memory Stick, they have shot themselves in the foot BIG
TIME.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.
Old February 19th 05, 11:04 PM
Woodchuck Bill

Larry wrote in
T:

In article ,
says...
It looks like the Konica Minolta Z series, has IS, is 5.1 MP, but
it only takes Memory Stick Pro and does not have a Zeiss lens.
The lens is 2.8-3.7, as opposed to the Panasonic FZ20's constant
2.8. Is this camera a bit too little, too late, with the
undoubtedly high Sony price tag?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05...sony_dsch1.asp

Well, I didn't believe this camera was real...

You had good reasons to suspect that it was a fake; we get lots of
those around PMA season. ;-)

If Sony has gone
backward to a camera that only uses Memory Stick, they have shot
themselves in the foot BIG TIME.

They obviously want to keep an incentive for users to buy the more
expensive models. This is a midrange. There must be an upgrade to the
828 around the corner...that model is almost 2 years old. I'm sure that
their new flagship ZLR will not lack any of the features you described
the H1 as lacking.

--

Bill
Old February 19th 05, 11:43 PM
Larry

says...
Larry wrote in
T:

In article ,
says...
[...]

I admit to not being thrilled with my F-828.. Ive said it before, if you are
aware of the cameras pitfalls you CAN work around most of them but it isnt
the great camera I expected it to be. I damn glad I didn't sell my F-717!

If Sonys new Flagship isnt something REALLY special then my 828 will be my
last Sony.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.
Old February 19th 05, 11:49 PM
Pete Fenelon

Woodchuck Bill wrote:
It looks like the Konica Minolta Z series, has IS, is 5.1 MP, but it
only takes Memory Stick Pro and does not have a Zeiss lens. The lens
is 2.8-3.7, as opposed to the Panasonic FZ20's constant 2.8. Is this
camera a bit too little, too late, with the undoubtedly high Sony
price tag?

Unless they price it *very* keenly, I can't see it taking too many sales
off K-M and Panasonic.

I can't see any reason to buy it over an FZ-20, which seems to be the
nearest comparison. Perhaps its more "modern" styling might appeal to
younger customers?

It has to be aimed at the K-M Z series, which aren't as nice as the
Panasonics; it just doesn't look good enough to take sales off the
A series.

And memory stick? Feh. No thanks.

I think might sell to brand-conscious people who'll buy Sony because
it's Sony, but it doesn't seem to stack up against any other comparable
cameras. Sony don't make crap, so it'll almost certainly feel good and
be reliable... even if I'm not sold on the looks

pete
--
"Send lawyers, guns and money...."
Old February 19th 05, 11:55 PM
Pete Fenelon

Woodchuck Bill wrote:
It looks like the Konica Minolta Z series, has IS, is 5.1 MP, but it
only takes Memory Stick Pro and does not have a Zeiss lens. The lens
is 2.8-3.7, as opposed to the Panasonic FZ20's constant 2.8. Is this
camera a bit too little, too late, with the undoubtedly high Sony
price tag?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05...sony_dsch1.asp

Well... I've seen an ad quoting June availabilty for the H1 in the
UK for £385. Without looking too hard I've seen FZ20s for £365. The K-M
Z5 seems to have a street price of £285; I think this one's doomed
unless they can sell it for the Z5 sort of price.

pete
--
"Send lawyers, guns and money...."
Old February 20th 05, 10:30 AM
David J Taylor

Woodchuck Bill wrote:
It looks like the Konica Minolta Z series, has IS, is 5.1 MP, but it
only takes Memory Stick Pro and does not have a Zeiss lens. The lens
is 2.8-3.7, as opposed to the Panasonic FZ20's constant 2.8. Is this
camera a bit too little, too late, with the undoubtedly high Sony
price tag?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05...sony_dsch1.asp

I'm not convinced about the image stabilisation, to be honest. "Super
Steady Shot fights motion blur during longer exposures at full zoom" - is
"Super Steady Shot" a currently known or tested technology? Is it in the
lens? Moving the CCD? Some sort of electronic stabilisation? To me the
caveats of "longer exposures at full zoom" suggests a very limited form of
stabilisation.

Memory stick is a killer, though.

Cheers,
David

Old February 20th 05, 02:41 PM
Woodchuck Bill

"David J Taylor"
wrote in
. uk:

Woodchuck Bill wrote:
It looks like the Konica Minolta Z series, has IS, is 5.1 MP, but
it only takes Memory Stick Pro and does not have a Zeiss lens.
The lens is 2.8-3.7, as opposed to the Panasonic FZ20's constant
2.8. Is this camera a bit too little, too late, with the
undoubtedly high Sony price tag?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05...sony_dsch1.asp

I'm not convinced about the image stabilisation, to be honest.
"Super Steady Shot fights motion blur during longer exposures at
full zoom" - is "Super Steady Shot" a currently known or tested
technology? Is it in the lens? Moving the CCD? Some sort of
electronic stabilisation? To me the caveats of "longer exposures
at full zoom" suggests a very limited form of stabilisation.

Memory stick is a killer, though.

It will still sell like mad. It is a Sony, after all. That is all the
salesmen need to tell newbies. It will also provide a long-zoom upgrade
for previous Sony owners who already own Memory Sticks. The reviews
could suck, and this will still sell quite a bunch.

I agree that opening up the market to CF or SD owners would have been
smarter, perhaps by having multiple card slots.

--

Bill
Old February 20th 05, 03:01 PM
Woodchuck Bill

Let's Go Digital posted a preview of the H1:

http://www.pma-show.com/review/sony/...1_preview.html

--

Bill