Guided Upright Works

Old June 14th 16, 10:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Guided Upright Works

It seems that the new 'Guided Upright' works pretty well. These shots
were rejects shot with the D300S + Tokina 11-16mm f/2.6. For both I
used two vertical lines and one horizontal.

This one is a tad extreme.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_157.jpg

....and this one more workable.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_159.jpg

I also tried two images I got from the web:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_161.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_160.jpg

Savageduck

Old June 15th 16, 12:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 14 Jun 2016 14:24:09 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

It seems that the new 'Guided Upright' works pretty well. These shots
were rejects shot with the D300S + Tokina 11-16mm f/2.6. For both I
used two vertical lines and one horizontal.

This one is a tad extreme.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_157.jpg

...and this one more workable.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_159.jpg

I also tried two images I got from the web:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_161.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_160.jpg

Paint Shop Pro has had that capability for many years. I'm glad to see
that PS has now caught up. The previous range of corrections was not
quite good enough. I have a number of images I shall go back and
rework.

Eric Stevens
Old June 15th 16, 01:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

It seems that the new 'Guided Upright' works pretty well. These shots
were rejects shot with the D300S + Tokina 11-16mm f/2.6. For both I
used two vertical lines and one horizontal.

This one is a tad extreme.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_157.jpg

...and this one more workable.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_159.jpg

I also tried two images I got from the web:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_161.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_160.jpg

Paint Shop Pro has had that capability for many years. I'm glad to see
that PS has now caught up. The previous range of corrections was not
quite good enough. I have a number of images I shall go back and
rework.

PS has had the 'Lens Correction Filter' for some 12 years. Then the
'Adaptive Wide Angle Filter was added with PS CS5. None of those
corrections could be applied to RAW files, and I seriously doubt that
the edition of PSP you owned had the capability to make that type of
correction to RAW files. I doubt that PSP has the capability to make
that correction to RAW files with its latest edition.

The 'Upright Filter" was added to ACR and Lightroom so that RAW files
could be corrected.
PS hasn't caught up, this is specifically the 'NEW' 'Guided Upright'
filter which was added to the existing three year old 'Upright' filter
for making these corrections to RAW files in ACR and LR. The 'Lens
Correction Filter' and the 'Adaptive Wide Angle Filter' remain in PS
(they were never in LR).

This new addition to the 'Upright Filter' in ACR and LR works very
well, and if you have some images which could benefit, it might be
worth revisiting them, particularly if you have some RAW files which
need the fix. I have been going through some of my stuff to see if
there are shots which would benefit. Here I am thinking of wide angle
architecture shots in particular.

Savageduck

Old June 15th 16, 01:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Perhaps with something such as this old D70 shot:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_163.jpg

Savageduck

Old June 15th 16, 03:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2016-06-15 00:23:15 +0000, Savageduck

wrote:

[...]

It does a neat job.
I have not played with it yet, but definitely will.

--
PeterN
Old June 15th 16, 05:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

[...]

I wasn't referring to lens correction: only geometric correction.

Old June 15th 16, 05:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Paint Shop Pro has had that capability for many years. I'm glad to see
that PS has now caught up. The previous range of corrections was not
quite good enough. I have a number of images I shall go back and
rework.

PS has had the 'Lens Correction Filter' for some 12 years. Then the
'Adaptive Wide Angle Filter was added with PS CS5. None of those
corrections could be applied to RAW files, and I seriously doubt that
the edition of PSP you owned had the capability to make that type of
correction to RAW files. I doubt that PSP has the capability to make
that correction to RAW files with its latest edition.

I wasn't referring to lens correction: only geometric correction.

geometric correction was in photoshop over 20 years ago. that's *easy*.
Old June 15th 16, 05:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

The 'Lens Correction Filter' is just the name of the PS filter which
dealt with geometric distortion, chromatic aberration, and lens
vignetting. It also dealt with horizon or vertical straightening. It
has an 'Auto Correction' or a 'Custom' correction. This could (still
can) oly be applied to other than RAW files. That is the advancement
with the 'Upright Filter' and the new 'Guided Upright Filter'.

Here is what that filter looks like, you can check it out in your copy
of PS CC.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_164.tif

Old June 15th 16, 10:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 00:23:42 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Paint Shop Pro has had that capability for many years. I'm glad to see
that PS has now caught up. The previous range of corrections was not
quite good enough. I have a number of images I shall go back and
rework.

PS has had the 'Lens Correction Filter' for some 12 years. Then the
'Adaptive Wide Angle Filter was added with PS CS5. None of those
corrections could be applied to RAW files, and I seriously doubt that
the edition of PSP you owned had the capability to make that type of
correction to RAW files. I doubt that PSP has the capability to make
that correction to RAW files with its latest edition.

I wasn't referring to lens correction: only geometric correction.

geometric correction was in photoshop over 20 years ago. that's *easy*.

Certainly, but some geometric correction is more easily capable than
others. PS's latest is a vast improvement (otherwise why did they
introduce it?).

Eric Stevens