ISP ending Usenet service: which free/cheap ones are best?

Old June 9th 09, 04:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Keith nuttle

Default ISP ending Usenet service: which free/cheap ones are best?

AKT wrote:
My ISP (ATT) just sent this:

Please note that on or around July 15, 2009, AT&T will no longer be
offering access to the Usenet netnews service.

Does anybody know which free / cheap services are best?

I received the same thing to day. In response I have removed all yahoo
sites form my computer, including the ATT/yahoo home page.

While this may sound petty, if everyone who was a newsgroup user stopped
using yahoo, which is possible, it would reduce yahoo hits and
consequently the amount they can charge for advertisements.

I just set up with aioe.org, I don't know how it will workout.
Old June 11th 09, 06:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

Keith Nuttle wrote:

AKT wrote:
My ISP (ATT) just sent this:

Please note that on or around July 15, 2009, AT&T will no longer be
offering access to the Usenet netnews service.

Does anybody know which free / cheap services are best?

I received the same thing to day. In response I have removed all yahoo
sites form my computer, including the ATT/yahoo home page.

While this may sound petty, if everyone who was a newsgroup user stopped
using yahoo, which is possible, it would reduce yahoo hits and
consequently the amount they can charge for advertisements.

I just set up with aioe.org, I don't know how it will workout.

Hello, Keith:

I tried Aioe.org http://www.aioe.org, for about a year. It was pretty
good, and yet, it had its quirks...such as, a daily posting limit (which
is 25 articles, according to another author, in this thread).

Then, in April, 2008, I discovered Motzarella (news.motzarella.org); I've
had very few problems, with it.

Motzarella - User registration
http://news.motzarella.org/RegisterNewsAccount.php?language=en

Good luck!

Cordially,
John Turco

PS: Motzarella was suggested to me, by the late "Blinky the Shark." He
was a regular (and prolific) Usenet contributor, who died on January 31,
2009, at the age of 61.

Very tragic, indeed.
Old June 12th 09, 04:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Miles

* John Turco wrote, On 6/10/2009 22:28:
Keith Nuttle wrote:
AKT wrote:
[...]

I was wondering why Blinky has been so quiet. Gee, what a pity as he
was a great contributor to several newsgroups and offered very
friendly and helpful assistance.
Miles
Old June 14th 09, 08:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

Miles wrote:

* John Turco wrote, On 6/10/2009 22:28:

heavily edited for brevity

PS: Motzarella was suggested to me, by the late "Blinky the Shark." He
was a regular (and prolific) Usenet contributor, who died on January 31,
2009, at the age of 61.

Very tragic, indeed

I was wondering why Blinky has been so quiet. Gee, what a pity as he
was a great contributor to several newsgroups and offered very
friendly and helpful assistance.
Miles

Hello, Miles:

Yes, shortly after returning to news:rec.photo.digital, about a month ago,
I was shocked to learn of his death. (I'd quit checking this newsgroup,
sometime in January, 2009.)

Blinky the Shark's real name was Lee Rizor (1947-2009), incidentally.

Cordially,
John Turco
Old June 29th 09, 03:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Blast of Reality

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 15:47:08 -0700, Miles wrote:

* John Turco wrote, On 6/14/2009 00:51:
Miles wrote:
* John Turco wrote, On 6/10/2009 22:28:

heavily edited for brevity

PS: Motzarella was suggested to me, by the late "Blinky the Shark." He
was a regular (and prolific) Usenet contributor, who died on January 31,
2009, at the age of 61.

Very tragic, indeed
I was wondering why Blinky has been so quiet. Gee, what a pity as he
was a great contributor to several newsgroups and offered very
friendly and helpful assistance.
Miles

Hello, Miles:

Yes, shortly after returning to news:rec.photo.digital, about a month ago,
I was shocked to learn of his death. (I'd quit checking this newsgroup,
sometime in January, 2009.)

Blinky the Shark's real name was Lee Rizor (1947-2009), incidentally.

Cordially,
John Turco

Guess I (we) could try to send an email to his old address if it can
be found and perhaps his family will read out condolences and compliments.
Miles

Do you honestly think that your existence matters to anyone? Soon as you
stop posting on usenet you cease to exist to anyone who reads this nonsense
and it only proves that you have zero importance.

Get a grip.

Watch for the next time that some prolific troll stops posting. See how
often anyone asks, "Hey? What happened to troll-ASSAR? Rich? etc.?" Nobody
ever does. Because their existence really don't matter to anyone. If they
died and some obscure relative (they have no real friends) posted of their
death, it wouldn't effect usenet for more than one post, if lucky.

Catching onto the reality of usenet yet? I figured not.