Adapter: Canon digital camera

Old July 18th 08, 03:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Default Adapter: Canon digital camera

On 2008-07-18, John McWilliams wrote:
Roy G wrote:
"Kennedy McEwen" wrote in message
Its seems to be only countries using US plug types that get cordless
chargers. The rest of the world, including UK and Europe, get removable
power cords on their Canon chargers - because it IS cheaper.
Are you sure it is because of cost??

Perhaps removable power cords would need too many Safety Notices, or could
be too difficult for the average American. Remember, most of them can't
manage to use a knife and a fork at the same time.

Nice, Roy. We do need a few more misogynistic posts here, and bashing
nationalities fits right in. I forget where you live, but I'm sure there
are a couple of dorks around the corner.

Perhaps you meant 'chauvinist?' Bashing nationalities could only
be 50% misogynist at best.

You're quite right. And the number of misogynists posting here is
smaller than the chauvinists.

--
john mcwilliams
Old July 18th 08, 04:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

On 2008-07-18, Kennedy McEwen wrote:
In article , Roy G
writes
Perhaps removable power cords would need too many Safety Notices, or could
be too difficult for the average American.

It isn't for Americans - they get the cordless charger because the
market with common US electrical outputs is large enough to justify it.
The rest of the world uses different outputs, and no other individual
electrical connection corresponds to as large a market as the US.

I would have thought Schuko comes pretty close. But I have no figures to
hand and am not interested enough to look them up.

My first thought, too. But coming to think of it, although widespread
there are a few large countries in Europe not using Schuko and those
Schuko countries outside of Europe are probably not a large market for
digital cameras. While on the other hand US-plugs are also used in
Canada and most important in Japan. And the latter one is certainly
camera crazy.

jue
Old July 25th 08, 05:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

John McWilliams wrote:

Roy G wrote:
"Kennedy McEwen" wrote in message

Its seems to be only countries using US plug types that get cordless
chargers. The rest of the world, including UK and Europe, get removable
power cords on their Canon chargers - because it IS cheaper.

Are you sure it is because of cost??

Perhaps removable power cords would need too many Safety Notices, or could
be too difficult for the average American. Remember, most of them can't
manage to use a knife and a fork at the same time.

Nice, Roy. We do need a few more misogynistic posts here, and bashing
nationalities fits right in. I forget where you live, but I'm sure there
are a couple of dorks around the corner.

Hello, John:

Roy Gibson is a somewhat cynical denizen of Scotland, if you must know. :-)

Cordially,
John Turco
Old July 25th 08, 06:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

John Turco wrote:
John McWilliams wrote:
Roy G wrote:
"Kennedy McEwen" wrote in message
Its seems to be only countries using US plug types that get cordless
chargers. The rest of the world, including UK and Europe, get removable
power cords on their Canon chargers - because it IS cheaper.
Are you sure it is because of cost??

Perhaps removable power cords would need too many Safety Notices, or could
be too difficult for the average American. Remember, most of them can't
manage to use a knife and a fork at the same time.

Nice, Roy. We do need a few more misogynistic posts here, and bashing
nationalities fits right in. I forget where you live, but I'm sure there
are a couple of dorks around the corner.

Hello, John:

Roy Gibson is a somewhat cynical denizen of Scotland, if you must know. :-)

Oh, I remember Roy from a while back, and I do have a soft spot for most
things Scottish. IIRC, Roy is an innkeeper, which means he must be nice
to boorish Americans staying at his lodgings. Which may explain a bit.
Maybe we can find a better class of Yankees to send him? That is, IIRC.

--
john mcwilliams
Old July 25th 08, 07:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Miles

* Kennedy McEwen wrote, On 7/17/2008 23:45:
In article , Roy G
writes
"Kennedy McEwen" wrote in message
In article , SMS
writes
None of the Canon cameras use a power cord for the Li-Ion battery charger,
it's too much of a hassle, and one more thing to carry, and two more
connectors to worry about.
That's only true if "none" means "most"! ;-)

Its seems to be only countries using US plug types that get cordless
chargers. The rest of the world, including UK and Europe, get removable
power cords on their Canon chargers - because it IS cheaper.
--
Kennedy
Python Philosophers (replace 'nospam' with 'kennedym' when
replying)

Are you sure it is because of cost??

Yes - the correct moulded plug on the end of a length of cable is a lot
cheaper than one connector and multiple adapter types.

Perhaps removable power cords would need too many Safety Notices, or could
be too difficult for the average American.

It isn't for Americans - they get the cordless charger because the
market with common US electrical outputs is large enough to justify it.
The rest of the world uses different outputs, and no other individual
electrical connection corresponds to as large a market as the US.

And that same plug also works everywhere in Thailand, and as I recall
every hotel in Hong Kong, Korea, Taiwan, and the Philippines.
Old July 29th 08, 06:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

John McWilliams wrote:

John Turco wrote:

edited for brevity

Roy Gibson is a somewhat cynical denizen of Scotland, if you must know. :-)

Oh, I remember Roy from a while back, and I do have a soft spot for most
things Scottish. IIRC, Roy is an innkeeper, which means he must be nice
to boorish Americans staying at his lodgings. Which may explain a bit.
Maybe we can find a better class of Yankees to send him? That is, IIRC.

Hello, John:

You're fond of Scottish things, eh? Is that why you're using a Macintosh
computer, by any chance? g

Cordially,
John Turco
Old July 29th 08, 06:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

John Turco wrote:
John McWilliams wrote:
John Turco wrote:

edited for brevity

Roy Gibson is a somewhat cynical denizen of Scotland, if you must know. :-)

Oh, I remember Roy from a while back, and I do have a soft spot for most
things Scottish. IIRC, Roy is an innkeeper, which means he must be nice
to boorish Americans staying at his lodgings. Which may explain a bit.
Maybe we can find a better class of Yankees to send him? That is, IIRC.

Hello, John:

You're fond of Scottish things, eh? Is that why you're using a Macintosh
computer, by any chance? g

Not zackly, but I appreciate the connexion! I was thinking about the
Mike Meyers SNL skits where he often bellowed, "If it's not Scottish,
it's crap!"

--
john mcwilliams
Old July 29th 08, 10:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Hiram B Culpeper

"John Turco" wrote in message
John McWilliams wrote:

John Turco wrote:

edited for brevity

Roy Gibson is a somewhat cynical denizen of Scotland, if you must know.
:-)

Oh, I remember Roy from a while back, and I do have a soft spot for most
things Scottish. IIRC, Roy is an innkeeper, which means he must be nice
to boorish Americans staying at his lodgings. Which may explain a bit.
Maybe we can find a better class of Yankees to send him? That is, IIRC.

Hello, John:

You're fond of Scottish things, eh? Is that why you're using a Macintosh
computer, by any chance? g

Cordially,
John Turco

The Scottish spelling is Mackintosh.

Old July 29th 08, 03:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Hiram B Culpeper wrote:
"John Turco" wrote in message
John McWilliams wrote:
John Turco wrote:

edited for brevity

Roy Gibson is a somewhat cynical denizen of Scotland, if you must know.
:-)

Oh, I remember Roy from a while back, and I do have a soft spot for most
things Scottish. IIRC, Roy is an innkeeper, which means he must be nice
to boorish Americans staying at his lodgings. Which may explain a bit.
Maybe we can find a better class of Yankees to send him? That is, IIRC.

Hello, John:

You're fond of Scottish things, eh? Is that why you're using a Macintosh
computer, by any chance? g

The Scottish spelling is Mackintosh.

Not in Apple's world. For overcoats and apples, though.

--
john mcwilliams
Old August 7th 08, 05:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

John McWilliams wrote:

John Turco wrote:

edited for brevity

You're fond of Scottish things, eh? Is that why you're using a Macintosh
computer, by any chance? g

Not zackly, but I appreciate the connexion! I was thinking about the
Mike Meyers SNL skits where he often bellowed, "If it's not Scottish,
it's crap!"

Hello, John:

Never really cared for "Saturday Night Live," to be honest; I'm a
"Second City TV" fan, personally. :-P

Cordially,
John Turco