No spam!

Old March 28th 08, 05:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Miles

Default No spam!

haven't had a single spam in this newsgroup in 2 days. Could it be that
my filters in Thunderbird are kicking in, or is someone
editing/canceling out the spam?

My filters a

Subject contains cancel; mark as read and delete msg.
and
organization=google, http://groups.google.com, .cn, googlemail123.com,
gmail, 123.com, 161.com, and gmail.com. Delete msg and ignore thread.

I realize some of these may be redundant, but if it's working don't fix it!
Miles
Old March 28th 08, 05:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Heslop

Miles wrote:

haven't had a single spam in this newsgroup in 2 days. Could it be that
my filters in Thunderbird are kicking in, or is someone
editing/canceling out the spam?

My filters a

Subject contains cancel; mark as read and delete msg.
and
organization=google, http://groups.google.com, .cn, googlemail123.com,
gmail, 123.com, 161.com, and gmail.com. Delete msg and ignore thread.

I realize some of these may be redundant, but if it's working don't fix it!
Miles

I think it's your filters as there hasn't been a real let-up.

--
Paul (We won't die of devotion)
Stop and Look
Old March 28th 08, 06:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Barr

I realize some of these may be redundant, but if it's working don't fix it!
Miles

I think it's your filters as there hasn't been a real let-up.

Explore your reader filter's options -- there's probably a filter log
that you can switch on (or else it's already on, and accumulating
massive numbers of entries, like mine!)

I use Nfilter to kill all the google and canceled messages, and I have
to clear the log every few days because it goes on forever -- and it's
almost 100% google. The next time I do, I'm going to try some way to
count the number of entries. Maybe cut & paste it to MS Word and have
it summarize the file.
Old March 28th 08, 06:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Miles

* Blinky the Shark wrote, On 3/28/2008 12:36:

Thunderbird can't filter news on the Organization header.

That's what I thought; however it was mixed in with the first few I
added, so merely left it there. Also there is the redundancy with
googlemail123.com and 123.com, but since they're not hurting anything
will leave them be.

but had it turned off probably due to volume. Turned it on and will
watch it for a few days.
Old March 28th 08, 07:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Heslop

Robert Barr wrote:

I realize some of these may be redundant, but if it's working don't fix it!
Miles

I think it's your filters as there hasn't been a real let-up.

Explore your reader filter's options -- there's probably a filter log
that you can switch on (or else it's already on, and accumulating
massive numbers of entries, like mine!)

I use Nfilter to kill all the google and canceled messages, and I have
to clear the log every few days because it goes on forever -- and it's
almost 100% google. The next time I do, I'm going to try some way to
count the number of entries. Maybe cut & paste it to MS Word and have
it summarize the file.

Mine is a very very old netscape. It's a long story.

Old March 28th 08, 07:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Blinky the Shark

Miles wrote:

haven't had a single spam in this newsgroup in 2 days. Could it be that
my filters in Thunderbird are kicking in, or is someone editing/canceling
out the spam?

My filters a

Subject contains cancel; mark as read and delete msg. and
organization=google, http://groups.google.com, .cn, googlemail123.com,
gmail, 123.com, 161.com, and gmail.com. Delete msg and ignore thread.

Thunderbird can't filter news on the Organization header.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Old March 28th 08, 08:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Blinky the Shark

Robert Barr wrote:

I use Nfilter to kill all the google and canceled messages, and I have to
clear the log every few days because it goes on forever -- and it's almost

I think you can disable logging.

Old March 29th 08, 07:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Miles

* Allen wrote, On 3/28/2008 19:22:
Miles wrote:
haven't had a single spam in this newsgroup in 2 days. Could it be
that my filters in Thunderbird are kicking in, or is someone
editing/canceling out the spam?

My filters a

Subject contains cancel; mark as read and delete msg.
and
organization=google, http://groups.google.com, .cn, googlemail123.com,
gmail, 123.com, 161.com, and gmail.com. Delete msg and ignore thread.

I realize some of these may be redundant, but if it's working don't
fix it!
Miles

Miles, do you have the Filter Log turned on? If so, read the contents to
see what you are catching. If it isn't turned on, you should turn it on
and watch the results. It can be quite interesting at times.
Allen

As I said in the earlier post, it was off and I've now turned it on. a
few hours ago, found only about 4 spam, now have close to 30.
Old March 31st 08, 05:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Miles

* Miles wrote, On 3/28/2008 10:34:
haven't had a single spam in this newsgroup in 2 days. Could it be that
my filters in Thunderbird are kicking in, or is someone
editing/canceling out the spam?

My filters a

Subject contains cancel; mark as read and delete msg.
and
organization=google, http://groups.google.com, .cn, googlemail123.com,
gmail, 123.com, 161.com, and gmail.com. Delete msg and ignore thread.

I realize some of these may be redundant, but if it's working don't fix it!
Miles

Wonder why it has been recommended to action both "mark as read" and
"delete." Won't just plain "delete" suffice? (I see in the log
apparently both are acted upon -- so it duplicates log entries.)
Miles
Old April 1st 08, 03:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Blinky the Shark

Miles wrote:

* Miles wrote, On 3/28/2008 10:34:
haven't had a single spam in this newsgroup in 2 days. Could it be that
my filters in Thunderbird are kicking in, or is someone
editing/canceling out the spam?

My filters a

Subject contains cancel; mark as read and delete msg. and
organization=google, http://groups.google.com, .cn, googlemail123.com,
gmail, 123.com, 161.com, and gmail.com. Delete msg and ignore thread.

I realize some of these may be redundant, but if it's working don't fix
it! Miles

Wonder why it has been recommended to action both "mark as read" and
"delete." Won't just plain "delete" suffice? (I see in the log
apparently both are acted upon -- so it duplicates log entries.) Miles

Worse yet, the post makes it appear that Thundrbird, the client in
question, can filter newsgroup articles on the Organization header. It
cannot.