why so much spam

Old January 25th 08, 12:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Miles

Default why so much spam

* Allen wrote:
Miles wrote:
* Sparky wrote:

You could put this filter in the News folder and it would work for all
newsgroups to which you are subscribed. I have that one, and 163.com,
126.com and a few others in the News folder instead of adding them to
each and every group.
Allen

Apparently it doesn't work if only placed in the general News folder's
file "msgFilterRules.dat" for I am still seeing tons of daily "cmsg
cancel" and "shoes" in this newsgroup. So today copied the filter from
News to this NG's .dat file and will see if it works. FYI, here's the
latest nuance of the Thunderbird filter:

version="8"
logging="no"
name="Delete unwanted NG msgs"
enabled="yes"
type="4"
action="Mark read"
action="Ignore thread"
condition="OR (subject,contains,CMSG Cancel) OR (subject,contains,M.I.)
OR (subject,contains,M,I,) OR (subject,contains,M-I,) OR
(subject,contains,M`I) OR (subject,contains,M'I) OR (subject,contains,M
I) OR (subject,contains,shoes) OR (subject,contains,boobs) OR
(subject,contains,watches) OR (subject,contains,CMSG cancel) OR
(subject,contains,cmsg cancel) OR (subject,contains,shoes-) OR
(subject,contains,shoes,)"

And if this works, I'll certainly add a few more sporge words commonly
used in the subject.
Miles
Old January 25th 08, 05:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kevin McMurtrie

In article ,
Miles wrote:

* Allen wrote:
Miles wrote:
* Sparky wrote:

[...]

There's only one filter parameter that you need:

Organization=Google

Google is the one and only major Usenet feed that's friendly to
criminals. Other feeds might have a random spam here and there due to a
hijacked account but it's nothing like the relentless flood from Google.

--
I don't read Google's spam. Reply with another service.
Old January 25th 08, 05:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Miles

* Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
In article ,
Miles wrote:

* Allen wrote:
Miles wrote:
* Sparky wrote:

There's only one filter parameter that you need:

Organization=Google

Google is the one and only major Usenet feed that's friendly to
criminals. Other feeds might have a random spam here and there due to a
hijacked account but it's nothing like the relentless flood from Google.

In Mozilla's NG's I understand that many of the normal msgs, not spam,
are from Google, not directly from the NG. So if the same exists here
or in other groups, stand to lose msgs.
Old January 25th 08, 07:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Miles

* Miles wrote:
* Allen wrote:
Miles wrote:
* Sparky wrote:

You could put this filter in the News folder and it would work for all
newsgroups to which you are subscribed. I have that one, and 163.com,
126.com and a few others in the News folder instead of adding them to
each and every group.
Allen

Apparently it doesn't work if only placed in the general News folder's
file "msgFilterRules.dat" for I am still seeing tons of daily "cmsg
cancel" and "shoes" in this newsgroup. So today copied the filter from
News to this NG's .dat file and will see if it works.

My previous note was in error. Discovered that I had an extra folder
called "news" that only contained msgFilterRules.dat and thought that
would suffice for all newsgroup servers, but it does not. So the
filter is now only in the one msgFilterRules.dat under the
news.sf.sbcglobal.net server and that should take care of all newsgroups
subscribed to from that server, not other servers.
Old January 25th 08, 07:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Miles

* Evan Platt wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 05:50:11 GMT, Miles
wrote:

In Mozilla's NG's I understand that many of the normal msgs, not spam,
are from Google, not directly from the NG. So if the same exists here
or in other groups, stand to lose msgs.

I've been filtering GG crap for quite a while now. Dealing with the
large amount of crap in exchange for the small amount of good that
comes from Google just wasn't worth it. I'd rather miss minimal good
stuff than have minimal good stuff and tons of spam.

Yes, I know the saying about throwing out the baby with the bath
water, but this baby should never have been born.

You two may be right, and since I don't have any idea of the quantity of
msgs from Google in the newsgroups I subscribe to under
news.sbcglobal.net I'll watch it for a few days with the current filter
in place before dumping the baby.
Old January 26th 08, 01:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Stewy

In article
,
Tully wrote:

In article
,
Rich wrote:

On Jan 3, 6:11 pm, Sparky wrote:
I thought this was a rec.photo.digital group?
why is anytime i come i see dating services, make free money, get a
free plasma tv when you pay 1000 dollars?
this is turning into rec.ads.spam or something

who is owner and why dont they clean this place up

Because there are 1.3 BILLION CHINESE and Google loves every one of
the little commie *******s, so they are a portal for their SPAM.

This is an outrageous stereotype. Not all Chinese are little, and many
have been born of legitimately wed parents.

Yeah, right! It's like saying all north Americans are poorly educated,
underinsured supporters of blowing away ANYONE who steps on your
driveway.
Old February 3rd 08, 09:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Miles

wrote:

In Mozilla's NG's I understand that many of the normal msgs, not spam,
are from Google, not directly from the NG. So if the same exists here
or in other groups, stand to lose msgs.

I've been filtering GG crap for quite a while now. Dealing with the
large amount of crap in exchange for the small amount of good that
comes from Google just wasn't worth it. I'd rather miss minimal good
stuff than have minimal good stuff and tons of spam.

Yes, I know the saying about throwing out the baby with the bath
water, but this baby should never have been born.

You two are right. There remain multitudes of spam in this newsgroup
so have filtered Google. However, not certain if done correctly:

From contains organization=google
From contains http://groups.google.com
Delete msgs and ignore thread.

Didn't know if it should be in the from field, but nothing else was
appropriate. And then questioned the use of "organization."
And see that most spam headers are from http://groups.google.com, so
added that filter.

Appreciate knowing if this is done correctly or not.
Miles