why so much spam

Old January 5th 08, 12:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jer

Default why so much spam

Paul Bartram wrote:
"C J Campbell" wrote

More to the point -- do these guys actually make money by posting all this
spam?

Well this guy obviously doesn't. Of all the various MI5 posts that my
attempts at filtering didn't remove, in every group I subscribe to, there
has not been a single follow-up, not even a 'POQ' or 'drop dead' reply. It
seems people are learning. The guy who obviously spent quite some time
arranging the scripts to send this garbage must now be wondering if it is
worth doing in future - we hope so, anyway.

Paul

It's like she spent all day putting herself together for a dinner party,
and after she arrived and walked in, nobody turned to notice. Tough crowd.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Old January 5th 08, 02:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Jan 4, 2:32 pm, Bert Hyman wrote:
() wrote :

It is sad that misuse by a relatively very few people has generated
such a large amount of resentment towards GG.

What's actually generated the resentment is that Google refuses to do
anything about it.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

I'm not sure Google could do anything. Isn't the MI5 stuff on all of
Usenet? And Usenet is too diffuse to be able to do much. Isn't
Usenet still individual servers at various places, one per newsgroup?
Old January 5th 08, 08:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bert Hyman

In

Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:

I'm not sure Google could do anything. Isn't the MI5 stuff on all of
Usenet?

I'm talking strictly about the crap that originates from Google.

They know about it and could stop it, but they don't.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old January 5th 08, 08:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Miles

() wrote :

It is sad that misuse by a relatively very few people has generated
such a large amount of resentment towards GG.

What's actually generated the resentment is that Google refuses to do
anything about it.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

I'm not sure Google could do anything. Isn't the MI5 stuff on all of
Usenet? And Usenet is too diffuse to be able to do much. Isn't
Usenet still individual servers at various places, one per newsgroup?

In my prior msg I was only commenting on newsgroups which I happen to
view in Thunderbird. Since I don't use Google to view newsgroups, don't
know if it would eliminate there as well. And Allen's reply was very
useful, in that the filter need only be placed in one folder, not every
newsgroup. (for Thunderbird 2.x that is news/news.
Miles
Old January 6th 08, 02:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Bert Hyman wrote:
In

Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:

I'm not sure Google could do anything. Isn't the MI5 stuff on all of
Usenet?

I'm talking strictly about the crap that originates from Google.

They know about it and could stop it, but they don't.

I don't know if this is still the case, but it used to be that if Google
filtered anything, then they because responsible for filtering
EVERYTHING, so that any message with illegal content because their
responsibility. They can, legally, only respond to specific complaints
to avoid this legal burden, at least as pertains to the US operation.
In other countries, like China, the government becomes involved in what
they can, and can't, allow, making things much more complex to administer.
Old January 6th 08, 03:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Miles

* Allen wrote:
Miles wrote:
* Sparky wrote:
I thought this was a rec.photo.digital group?
why is anytime i come i see dating services, make free money, get a
free plasma tv when you pay 1000 dollars?
this is turning into rec.ads.spam or something

who is owner and why dont they clean this place up

If anyone cares to do the same as I did in Thunderbird, simply add a
few filters so these MI5 msgs won't be seen. The filters I added a

action="Mark read"
action="Ignore thread"
condition="OR (subject,contains,CMSG Cancel) OR (subject,contains,M.I)
OR (subject,contains,M,I) OR (subject,contains,M-I) OR
(subject,contains,M`I) OR (subject,contains,M'I) OR
(subject,contains,M I)"

The above was duplicated in all newsgroup subscribed to by adding it
to every newsgroup .dat file. (FYI, "CMSG Cancel" has been seen in a
few newsgroups where someone goes through and cancels the sporges, but
then evidently we see the cancelled msg instead.)

Put these in a few days ago and haven't seen a single MI5 sporge
since. Can hardly wait until the writer comes up with a few more
subject changes!
Miles

You could put this filter in the News folder and it would work for all
newsgroups to which you are subscribed. I have that one, and 163.com,
126.com and a few others in the News folder instead of adding them to
each and every group.
Allen

Thanks Allen, and I've done that and removed it from several of the
newsgroups and haven't yet seen any of his spam. However, I've also
read that the spammer hasn't been seen for 3 days, so need to wait a
while longer!
Miles
Old January 6th 08, 07:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rich

On Jan 3, 6:11 pm, Sparky wrote:
I thought this was a rec.photo.digital group?
why is anytime i come i see dating services, make free money, get a
free plasma tv when you pay 1000 dollars?
this is turning into rec.ads.spam or something

who is owner and why dont they clean this place up

Because there are 1.3 BILLION CHINESE and Google loves every one of
the little commie *******s, so they are a portal for their SPAM.
Old January 6th 08, 07:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kevin McMurtrie

In article ,
Ron Hunter wrote:

Bert Hyman wrote:
In

Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:

I'm not sure Google could do anything. Isn't the MI5 stuff on all of
Usenet?

I'm talking strictly about the crap that originates from Google.

They know about it and could stop it, but they don't.

I don't know if this is still the case, but it used to be that if Google
filtered anything, then they because responsible for filtering
EVERYTHING, so that any message with illegal content because their
responsibility. They can, legally, only respond to specific complaints
to avoid this legal burden, at least as pertains to the US operation.
In other countries, like China, the government becomes involved in what
they can, and can't, allow, making things much more complex to administer.

That's not quite the case here. Google does not read complaints and
China's networks are corrupt. That's why there's all the spam in r.p.d.
Filter Google and it all goes away.

--
I don't read Google's spam. Reply with another service.
Old January 6th 08, 08:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tully

In article
,
Rich wrote:

On Jan 3, 6:11 pm, Sparky wrote:
I thought this was a rec.photo.digital group?
why is anytime i come i see dating services, make free money, get a
free plasma tv when you pay 1000 dollars?
this is turning into rec.ads.spam or something

who is owner and why dont they clean this place up

Because there are 1.3 BILLION CHINESE and Google loves every one of
the little commie *******s, so they are a portal for their SPAM.

This is an outrageous stereotype. Not all Chinese are little, and many
have been born of legitimately wed parents.
--
"It is the individual alone who is timeless. The individual's
hungers, anxieties, dreams, and preoccupations have remained
Old January 7th 08, 02:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Tully wrote:
In article
,
Rich wrote:

On Jan 3, 6:11 pm, Sparky wrote:
I thought this was a rec.photo.digital group?
why is anytime i come i see dating services, make free money, get a
free plasma tv when you pay 1000 dollars?
this is turning into rec.ads.spam or something

who is owner and why dont they clean this place up

Because there are 1.3 BILLION CHINESE and Google loves every one of
the little commie *******s, so they are a portal for their SPAM.

This is an outrageous stereotype. Not all Chinese are little, and many
have been born of legitimately wed parents.

As a matter of fact, the tallest known person alive is Chinese.