Issue with Canon Autofocus?

Old August 11th 05, 09:04 PM
David P. Summers

G.T. wrote:

You didn't need me or anyone else for that matter. You just needed to

use

your brain.

So you decided to deride my reasons for posting?

I didn't until you started going on and on trying to justify your lame ass
choice of samples of focusing problems.

And we come back to it. You don't think my concerns were valid and so
you feel free to attack me personally.

A suggestion, if you think someone is being dumb (and clearly you are
quick to think that), and you don't have anything postive to contribute,
maybe you should just not say anything rather than, for example, trying
to call them a troll?

Dude, I gave you an answer. I said that what you were reading had nothing
to do with a Rebel XT. Really simple and obvious, I mean REALLY SIMPLE.

Look at my first reply and the respons to the first quoted text. You
gave me a short answer. I posted three different questions to try and
elucidate something useful about it and you responded with another
cryptic answer.

Look, if you think it is OK to attack posts you don't like as trolls (as
you seem to feel above), at least be honest an admit it (and if you feel
embarassed then maybe reexamine your bahavior). But also trying to
pretend you were being helpful just doesn't fly. I leaned something
real from this thread, but not from anything you said.

I any case, I have no more time to deal with immaturity on the net. I
have nothing more to say....

Old August 12th 05, 04:56 AM
Isaiah Beard

David P. Summers wrote:

Here's a site which discusses the 10D "problem" in detail, you'll
probably find it interesting. As mentioned earlier, the Rebel XT model
you are looking at doesn't have this problem (neither did most of the
10D's, but some did).

http://www.photo.net/learn/focustest/

Yeah, I'm clearer on the 10D issue.

I've been looking around and all the professional reviewers I've seen
think the autofocus is good. OTOH, there is a small, but persistent
trickle of user complaining about it. That doesn't seem to be true of
the Nikon. Is it a symptom of problem with some cameras? Is it simply
that there are more Canons out there (and so more users to complain)? Is
it that the autofocus works OK, but is harder to use well? I don't know.

It could be any of those things. It could also simply be the nature of
the autofocus algorithms at work behind the scenes. There isn't an
industry standard for autofocus; each camera manufacturer has their own
proprietary method for determining when a camera has an image in focus.
There could be a segment of the population that simply finds Canon's
focusing program to be disagreeable with their tastes.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
Old August 12th 05, 05:57 AM
G.T.

"David P. Summers" wrote in message

Look, if you think it is OK to attack posts you don't like as trolls (as
you seem to feel above), at least be honest an admit it (and if you feel
embarassed then maybe reexamine your bahavior).

How could you know whether I liked your post or not when your post had
nothing to like or dislike about it? It completely lacked anything relevant
to your question. The reason I was terse in my original reply was because I
didn't want to spend any more time writing my reply than the very little
time you spent researching suspected autofocus problems with the Rebel XT.

But also trying to
pretend you were being helpful just doesn't fly. I leaned something
real from this thread, but not from anything you said.

You learned that a Rebel XT isn't a 10D?

I any case, I have no more time to deal with immaturity on the net. I
have nothing more to say....

You should be more aware of your own immaturity.

Greg

Old August 12th 05, 06:51 AM
Colin D

Isaiah Beard wrote:

David P. Summers wrote:

[...]

Not everyone is able to handle a camera properly. We assume that the
complaints come from users who know what they're doing, but I wonder
sometimes. When you see that some people can't even frame a shot
correctly, god knows where the focus point(s) was/were looking when they
hit the trigger. Or they take a shot of a couple of persons and fail to
see that no focus point is on either person. Given that Canon dslr's
rule the lower segment of the market at least, some of them must be
owned by idiots.

Colin D.