Lens Rental in South Africa And Insurance

Old October 13th 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Ortt

Default Lens Rental in South Africa And Insurance

Hi Everyone,

I previously posted the "Gap Year choice of Lens" earlier this week but it
has led to some other related questions.

Firstly I am now considdering renting a long lens (100-400 L zoom or even
300/400 L prime) while I am over there rather than buying a lower spec item
outright and having to lug it around the world with me. The problem is I
dont know where to start or how much it would cost. Does anyone know of
anywhere in South Africa where I could rent the equipment (preferably near
to Kruger park)?

Which brings me to the second question. Regardless of whether I buy a
longer zoom or rent a lens I will still require some sort of insurance
during the trip. Have any of you had any experience with camera equipment
insurance companies and would you be prepared to recomend a few? Do you
have any comparitive costs?

Thanks in advance,

John

Old October 13th 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 15:48:47 +0100, "John Ortt"
wrote:

[...]

The first place to check is your homeowner/rentor insurance company;
you do trust them, right?
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
Old October 14th 06, 06:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rich

John Ortt wrote:
[...]

Based on the crime rate you now have in SA, they should give you a
bodyguard and a machine gun with each lens rented.