best lens on a P&S?

Old May 28th 07, 04:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
m II

Default best lens on a P&S?

wrote:

Best P&S [daylight 2nd] is the Sigma DP1:

http://www.sigma-dp1.com/

Just wait a bit please, out soon.

Most of the others are much the same, with special mention for FinePix
"F" series with its premium sensor

I've been playing with their F10. very, very nice shots. I believe that
their later 8.3 MP sensor may have some noise issues, but I've never
tried one. On the odd occasion, a bit of purple fringing appears around
high contrast edges, but not often enough to be a concern. If the
picture is important enough, the fringing can be eliminated via software.

The shots are all better than the Panasonic FZ30 I compared it to. The
zoom is the Panasonic's only redeeming feature.

mike
Old May 28th 07, 05:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On May 28, 1:57 pm, m II wrote:
wrote:
Best P&S [daylight 2nd] is the Sigma DP1:

http://www.sigma-dp1.com/

Just wait a bit please, out soon.

Most of the others are much the same, with special mention for FinePix
"F" series with its premium sensor

I've been playing with their F10. very, very nice shots. I believe that
their later 8.3 MP sensor may have some noise issues, but I've never
tried one. On the odd occasion, a bit of purple fringing appears around
high contrast edges, but not often enough to be a concern. If the
picture is important enough, the fringing can be eliminated via software.

The shots are all better than the Panasonic FZ30 I compared it to. The
zoom is the Panasonic's only redeeming feature.

mike

I have a F20 FinePix, and its a bit of a enigma, indoor and macro it
will fight a SLR, sunny and outdoors i am NOT impressed with the
photos, i print them as they come out, no time to touch them up.

Great battery life and the dual photo shoot is a great idea, strong
and good quailty construction, no need and Image-Stab. either, it is
NOT missed or needed.NO issue with XD card not a issue, priced ok now.

Needs more zoom, 6x at least, weird design hard to hold with your
fingers, should be smaller size, metal tripod plug needed, side
plastic covers are rubbish as is the way you have to charge it

Otherwise great step up from the old F420

Will buy a Pana FZ8, want a 12x zoom, and the S6500 is WAY to huge
sized to consider [pity]

M/P

Old May 28th 07, 10:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Prometheus

In article . com,
writes
Best P&S [daylight 2nd] is the Sigma DP1:

http://www.sigma-dp1.com/

Just wait a bit please, out soon.

I almost like it, but Sigma claim that "Sigma is not about creating
run-of-the mill photographs, or pushing image quality defined by
numbers" and then they pretend that a resolution of 2,688 x 1,792 makes
a 14.45MP camera, I make it 4,816,896. Besides, the Foevon sensor has a
reputation for bad aliasing artefacts and poor colour rendition.
Additionally, I would want an optical viewfinder.

--
Ian G8ILZ
There are always two people in every pictu the photographer and the viewer.
Old May 28th 07, 10:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
John Bean

On Mon, 28 May 2007 02:44:12 GMT, m II wrote:

If you can stand a little noise, sometimes even at 80 ISO, the image
quality is very good.

That's like a restaurant reviewer saying that except for the mouse
droppings, the food was quite good.

It's not a bit like that. I can't image anyone not being
concerned about mouse droppings in their food, but many
people (including me) are not much worried about some noise
in an otherwise excellent image.

I don't know of anyone being poisoned by image noise ;-)

--
John Bean
Old May 28th 07, 02:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
faune8

Canon 30D, for those times when I can't or don't want to bring along a
heavy expensive camera.

The s5is is comming out this week which will be my second camera my
firts a 30 d.

Jean
--
Photos
http://www.chez.com/anaclet
Old May 28th 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
John Sheehy

Prometheus wrote in
:

the Foevon sensor has a
reputation for bad aliasing artefacts

The aliasing artifacts are from not using an AA filter; not from the Foveon
sensor.

--

John P Sheehy

Old May 28th 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Prometheus

In article , John Sheehy
writes
Prometheus wrote in
:

the Foevon sensor has a
reputation for bad aliasing artefacts

The aliasing artifacts are from not using an AA filter; not from the Foveon
sensor.

True(ish), Bayer sensors usually have an AA filter which Foveon perceive
as being to reduce colour aliasing effects in the Bayer spatial colour
sampling process and, since Foveon sample all three colours at each
point they do not require a "colour blurring" filter and so do not fit
such a filter to their sensor assembly. Unfortunately in their
enthusiasm to prove the Bayer approach wrong they have failed to
comprehend that they are sampling on a finite geometric grid which will
cause aliasing.

Old May 28th 07, 05:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

I should add that I'm not interested in any post-processing. These
are pictures that are going right from the camera to the printer.

-Joel

EXIF data for any image or web page: http://exif.posted-online.com
Old May 28th 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

Best P&S [daylight 2nd] is the Sigma DP1:

http://www.sigma-dp1.com/

Sure is a cute website, though it gets annoying if you're really
trying to learn something about the camera....

-Joel

Free Bible and Mishna printouts in Hebrew: http://liturgy.lashon.net/
Old May 28th 07, 08:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article . com,
wrote:

Best P&S [daylight 2nd] is the Sigma DP1:

http://www.sigma-dp1.com/

Just wait a bit please, out soon.

how do you know it is the best if it is not out?

if it is anything like the sd-14, it won't be all that great (and other
than a dedicated image processing chip, it is pretty much the same
thing).