What kind of bird is this?

Old April 29th 07, 06:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default What kind of bird is this?

Paul Furman wrote:

I think this must be an Egret (white):
http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=California/Bay-Area/Marin/2007-04-19-west-marin/full-set&PG=5&PIC=25

This looks like a great egret in breeding plumage. It has a long neck
and and no crest of feathers on its head. Some other examples::
http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries...441.b-600.html
http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries...egret-600.html

http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=California/Bay-Area/Marin/2007-04-19-west-marin/full-set&PG=3&PIC=15

This is a snowy egret. Key features include the yellow feet and
crest of feathers on the back of the head running down the neck.
The fluffy feathers on the bird's rear are different than the first
bird, which has long feathers. Another snowy egret image:
http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries...egret-600.html

Great egrets almost went extinct in the early 1900s because they
were hunted for the breeding plumage feathers to put in women's hats.

Roger
Old April 29th 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

A bit off topic, but I'll be grateful if someone can help me identify
the bird in the first shot on this page:

http://posted-online.com/NWC/

Yah, those are snowy egrets. 'Snowy' because of the lacy plumage.

The original picture could be of a great blue heron, except that it
looks too small. Maybe the composition of the image makes it look
smaller than it really is.

If I remember correctly, and as nearly as I can judge, it was about 3'
tall.

-Joel

EXIF data for any image or web page: http://exif.posted-online.com