What kind of bird is this?

Old April 9th 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

Default What kind of bird is this?

A bit off topic, but I'll be grateful if someone can help me identify
the bird in the first shot on this page:

http://posted-online.com/NWC/

I think it's an Igret, but I'd like to know for sure. (It's hiding in
the bottom right-hand corner.)

Thanks.

-Joel

Old April 9th 07, 09:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert

"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" wrote in message
A bit off topic, but I'll be grateful if someone can help me identify
the bird in the first shot on this page:

http://posted-online.com/NWC/

I think it's an Igret, but I'd like to know for sure. (It's hiding in
the bottom right-hand corner.)

Thanks.

-Joel

Blue Heron

http://www.treknature.com/gallery/No...photo97272.htm

Robert

Old April 9th 07, 10:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Annika1980

On Apr 9, 4:51 pm, (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman) wrote:
A bit off topic, but I'll be grateful if someone can help me identify
the bird in the first shot on this page:

http://posted-online.com/NWC/

That's Spike's cousin:
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/68412685

Old April 9th 07, 11:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Nervous Nick

On Apr 9, 4:19 pm, "Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)"
wrote:
On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 20:57:43 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Robert"

wrote:

"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" wrote in message
A bit off topic, but I'll be grateful if someone can help me identify
the bird in the first shot on this page:

http://posted-online.com/NWC/

I think it's an Igret, but I'd like to know for sure. (It's hiding in
the bottom right-hand corner.)

Thanks.

-Joel

Blue Heron

More properly known as a Great Blue Heron, no?

We call them "muddy egrets" in these parts. Beautiful birds.

--
YOP...

Old April 10th 07, 12:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Joseph Meehan

wrote:

"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" wrote in message
A bit off topic, but I'll be grateful if someone can help me
identify the bird in the first shot on this page:

http://posted-online.com/NWC/

I think it's an Igret, but I'd like to know for sure. (It's hiding
in the bottom right-hand corner.)

Thanks.

-Joel

Blue Heron

More properly known as a Great Blue Heron, no?

Yes and there is a Little Blue Heron as well, but that one looks like a
Great Blue. I get to see a lot of them while I am rowing. They are
impressive birds, especially when they slowly pass by at eye level going the
same direction I am rowing.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Old April 10th 07, 02:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Allen

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:
On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 19:57:10 -0400, in rec.photo.digital "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Yes and there is a Little Blue Heron as well, but that one looks like a
Great Blue.

FWIW, to me it doesn't look anything close to a GBH from what these sites
show:
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAbou...lue_Heron.html
http://www.enature.com/flashcard/sho...dNumber=BD0111
http://www.inhs.uiuc.edu/chf/pub/ifw...lue-heron.html
http://www.nhptv.org/natureworks/littleblueheron.htm

Why do you think it isn't a GREAT Blue Heron when you are showing us
four different pictures of LITTLE Blue Herons? It is definitely a Great
Blue, a magnificent bird.
Allen
Old April 10th 07, 05:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Sheehy

(Dr. Joel M. Hoffman) wrote in news:4HxSh.25$XH5.13
@newsfe12.lga:

A bit off topic, but I'll be grateful if someone can help me identify
the bird in the first shot on this page:

http://posted-online.com/NWC/

I think it's an Igret, but I'd like to know for sure. (It's hiding in
the bottom right-hand corner.)

I don't know how they decide if a bird is called an egret or a heron; it
looks closely related to birds called egrets, but it's common name is the
"Great Blue Heron".

It lives in the NYC area fall, winter and spring, and goes to cooler
climates for the summer. Most lakes and ponds in Westchester and the Bronx
have at least one throughout the winter (the other herons and egrets
usually head south in early November).

--

John P Sheehy

What kind of bird is this? Dr. Joel M. Hoffman Digital Photography 48 April 29th 07 07:37 PM
Bird pictures Lew Photographing Nature 5 March 25th 07 06:29 PM
Me & bird Mama Bear Digital Photography 9 November 13th 06 07:19 PM
Name that Bird Gaderian Digital SLR Cameras 5 June 19th 05 02:32 AM
Big bird! WhaleShark Digital Photography 4 July 4th 04 09:14 PM