[SI] Current Challenge - Creative OOF

Old August 15th 05, 08:13 PM
Brian Baird

In article , owamanga-not-
says...
On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 23:33:00 GMT, "Mr. Mark"
wrote:

The rulz can be found at
http://www.aliasimages.com/si/rulz.html

Is it legal to submit two images for the SI challenge?

People have done it in the past, but have been prosecuted to the full
extent of the law. Which in this case is nothing more than a soft poke
in the ribs when you are asleep.

It's in far better taste if you submit one photo and then post a link to
your alternate. Less rib poking and you can sleep in.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
Old August 15th 05, 09:04 PM
Mr. Mark

Is it legal to submit two images for the SI challenge?

People have done it in the past, but have been prosecuted to the full
extent of the law. Which in this case is nothing more than a soft poke
in the ribs when you are asleep.

It's in far better taste if you submit one photo and then post a link to
your alternate. Less rib poking and you can sleep in.

Good idea.

Here's my two alternates for the blurry topic.

http://marklauter.com/gallery/MiscBW/oof_2

and

http://marklauter.com/gallery/MiscBW/towel

My interpretation of OOF isn't DoF, but really OOF. When I used to post on
photosig.com I noticed many comments (to myself and others) about images
being not sharp enough. But I'm more of an impressionist. Thanks be to the
gods I don't have to burn money on a "tack sharp lens". Not long ago
someone suggested I use some tool or other to remove noise from my photo.
Hell no! The noise *MADE* the image. I'm the type who prefers to shoot ISO
1600 film and create soft, but edgey images (I'm just not very good at it.)

--
Mark

Photos, Ideas & Opinions
http://www.marklauter.com

Old August 15th 05, 10:30 PM
John McWilliams

ian lincoln wrote:
"Tony Polson" wrote in message Of course there is one
contributor to the SI who almost always

supplies a shot from his increasingly dull archive of incompetent
snapshots. However, the rules ("rulz") were never supposed to apply
to Alan Browne, only to everyone else.

replonk. again! take the hint.

Er, neither Tony nor Alan are big on hints; nor are you IIRC. It'd be
nice if they stopped with the pot/slap shots at each other, and if
public plonkers went private. [hint, hint.]

Cheerily posted with the bets placed on the status quo, however.

--

John McWilliams
Old August 15th 05, 10:32 PM
John McWilliams

Woodchuck Bill wrote:
Mart van de Wege wrote in
:

Woodchuck Bill writes:

The current Shoot-In mandate challenge is...

drum roll please

Creative OOF

Part of your photo should be in sharp-focus; one or more elements
in the photo should be creatively-blurred.

Does a portrait with OOF background count?

Sure, but the idea is to go out and shoot for the challenge if
possible...but if you can't, archive shots are allowed.

Does it count if one captures an image after the announce period, but is
unaware of the mandate, and the photo accidentally meets the criteria?

John McWilliams
Old August 15th 05, 10:44 PM
William Graham

"John McWilliams" wrote in message

Does it count if one captures an image after the announce period, but is
unaware of the mandate, and the photo accidentally meets the criteria?

No, that wouldn't count....If, for example you think you are taking a
picture of some WMD's, with OOF nudes in the background, and you end up with
the nudes in focus, and the WMD's out of focus, then that picture would not
count......

Old August 16th 05, 02:36 AM
John McWilliams

Does it count if one captures an image after the announce period, but is

unaware of the mandate, and the photo accidentally meets the criteria?

No, that wouldn't count....If, for example you think you are taking a
picture of some WMD's, with OOF nudes in the background, and you end up with
the nudes in focus, and the WMD's out of focus, then that picture would not
count......

Damn! And that was exactly what happened over the weekend...

How about DoF and OoF for consistency??

--
John McWilliams
Old August 16th 05, 11:03 AM
ian lincoln

ian lincoln wrote:
"Tony Polson" wrote in message Of course there is one
contributor to the SI who almost always

supplies a shot from his increasingly dull archive of incompetent
snapshots. However, the rules ("rulz") were never supposed to apply
to Alan Browne, only to everyone else.

replonk. again! take the hint.

Er, neither Tony nor Alan are big on hints; nor are you IIRC.

Perhaps the hinters are in my killfile.

It'd be
nice if they stopped with the pot/slap shots at each other, and if public
plonkers went private. [hint, hint.]

Most residents of my killfile don't know they are there. However polson
regularly changes his address cos he knows he's in most killfiles.

Old September 2nd 05, 01:57 AM
Paul Furman

John McWilliams wrote:

Woodchuck Bill wrote:

Sure, but the idea is to go out and shoot for the challenge if
possible...but if you can't, archive shots are allowed.

Does it count if one captures an image after the announce period, but is
unaware of the mandate, and the photo accidentally meets the criteria?

Hey I just came up with one shot three days before the mandate but it
was in the spirit of thinking I really wanted to get something into one
of these shootins again so I think that oughta count even if it's not in
full compliance, the rulz are just guidelines, the idea is to get out
there & get some practice & motivation.

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1