HOYA SWALLOWS PENTAX !

Old January 7th 07, 08:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Default End of an Era

William Graham wrote:

Makes a libertarian like me want to set up one of your stills and work it
24/7 even if I just flushed its output down the toilet.....(which I would
probably have to do, since I can't drink the stuff.....It interferes with a
couple of my diabetes medications.)

I believe I've sent you this link before Bill:
http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com/

The drawings and build instructions were about $30.

You will need and ATF licence but that doesn't cost much and in the US
they assume that if you get a licence for a stated purpose (fuel) that
that's what it's for. Here in Canada you are assumed to be evilly
making moonshine.

Cheers,
Alan
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old January 7th 07, 08:43 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

William Graham wrote:
"Michael" wrote in message

"Alan Browne" wrote in message

(Note: to make "E85" you need near 100% Ethanol (or rather 0% water in
the ethanol). As much water as possible needs to be removed. Dewatering
the ethanol requires Zeolite or similar materials. Having a "denaturing"
agent (gasoline) in the ethanol will ruin the zeolite.)

I have a set of drawings to make a high efficiency still ... will yield
about 85% ethanol.

Cheers,
Alan

How many gallons can your still make over a 16 hour period, Alan?

http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com/

Will tell you. A few batches on a given day will keep you running for a
couple weeks. You will need a flex-fuel car (E85) and don't forget to
add the gasoline to the mix (15% (by volume I believe)).

At this scale it is a batch process. If you do it right you use waste
heat from batch 1 to pre-heat batch 2 (post fermented batches), and
waste heat from batch 2 to pre-heat batch 3 and so on. A 40 gallon
"batch" of fermented mash will take about 1 - 2 hours to process and
produce about 4 - 5 gallons of ethanol. YMMV as it depends on what the
mash source is and how well it fermented. The "waste" mash can be fed
to pigs or cattle; possibly used as a fertilizer.

As a feedstock for the mash find local breweries/wineries and take away
their "leavings" and bad batches of beer/wine. This will need little or
no fermenting.

Farmers molasses (that hasn't had the sugar removed)
Rotten, spoiled, wasted fruit and "sweet" veggies (local markets,
restaurants, etc.)
(Corn, carrots, and other high sugar veggies).
You'll need yeasts to start the fermenting too...

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old January 7th 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Ron Hunter wrote:

Good question. There is a significant difference between producing 1
liter/day, and producing 10 gallons. The liter would be enough for
drinking purposes, but inadequate for use as a motor fuel.

A batch of fermeted mash is typically 10 - 15% ethanol. And you get
pretty much all of it out. More mash, more ethanol.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old January 7th 07, 09:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
sgtdisturbed

Ken Lucke wrote:
In article , acl
wrote:

jeremy wrote:
mechanical build quality had deteriorated noticably. Just like new cars.
Better fuel economy and more amenities, at the expense of less sheet metal
and smaller overall size.

So, basically, you prefer cars with lots of sheet metal and large size?

Damn straight _I_ do. Sheet metal, true internal structure (not just
some flimsy suppoorts for the outer skin), and large size. I'd take
high strength composite fiber/plastics (NOT fiberglass!) if they ever
start making cars with them (oops, sorry, that was an inadvertent cue
for RichA to enter the thread with his obsession), but until then, I
want METAL around me. The more the better.

Ever seen a serious wreck? Ever been in one?

From 1979 to 1996, I worked as a professional, full time paramedic (in
Portland, OR and other places), and the last 6 years was also a
firefighter. I've _seen_ (and sometimes had to scrape up) the
difference in outcomes.

Sorry, but to hell with fuel economy... with the millions of people on
the road in this country who merely know "how to operate a motor
vehicle" as opposed to actually knowing how to _drive_ their vehicles
(and there is a HUGE difference between those two skillsets), I want a
tank around me, if possible. Again, damn straight I prefer a vehicle
with some substance to it rather than today's tin cans that a wrinkle
in the sheet metal causes major loss of body integrity and strength
(literally).

Aren't the lighter bodies designed to use crumple zones to reduce the
forces of impact upon the passengers by
absorbing the impact as opposed to the driver feeling 100% of the
impact (which would result in a higher percentage of injury) while
using a firm, non-flexible body on their car? Newer cars seem to have
better crash test ratings than older, not-so flexible cars.

Old January 7th 07, 09:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Laurence Payne wrote:
On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 03:25:13 -0600, Ron Hunter
wrote:

In addition, the armed citizen still acts as the best limit to the abuse
of citizens by the government.

Eh? So if taxes go up too much, you march on Washington waving
handguns? Or if your local sheriff gets above himself, you shoot
him? What on earth are you talking about?

yes, both have happened, and it is eXACTLY what was intended.
Old January 7th 07, 09:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Ken Lucke

In article .com,
sgtdisturbed wrote:

Ken Lucke wrote:
In article , acl
wrote:

jeremy wrote:
mechanical build quality had deteriorated noticably. Just like new
cars.
Better fuel economy and more amenities, at the expense of less sheet
metal
and smaller overall size.

So, basically, you prefer cars with lots of sheet metal and large size?

Damn straight _I_ do. Sheet metal, true internal structure (not just
some flimsy suppoorts for the outer skin), and large size. I'd take
high strength composite fiber/plastics (NOT fiberglass!) if they ever
start making cars with them (oops, sorry, that was an inadvertent cue
for RichA to enter the thread with his obsession), but until then, I
want METAL around me. The more the better.

Ever seen a serious wreck? Ever been in one?

From 1979 to 1996, I worked as a professional, full time paramedic (in
[...]

Ever had to extract a patient from one vs. the other? And then had to
treat said patient?

I thought not.

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard
Old January 7th 07, 11:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Bill Funk wrote:

Laurence Payne lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom wrote:

Ken Lucke wrote:

Ever heard of the 4th amendment?

Not terribly useful today, is it. So shall we stop hiding behind that one?

If you're a US citizen, I sincerely hope you don't vote.

It's quite clear that Mr. Payne is something far superior to a US
citizen.

Old January 8th 07, 12:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Laurence Payne

On 7 Jan 2007 14:01:07 -0800, "
wrote:

If you're a US citizen, I sincerely hope you don't vote.

It's quite clear that Mr. Payne is something far superior to a US
citizen.

Thanks for the compliment! But judge me against your best, not
against some of the people we're meeting here.
Old January 8th 07, 01:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

wrote:

Eh? So if taxes go up too much, you march on Washington waving
handguns? Or if your local sheriff gets above himself, you shoot
him? What on earth are you talking about?

yes, both have happened, and it is eXACTLY what was intended.

Recently?

In the past 50 years. yes.
Only the march on Washington was more waving tractors.
it worked.