Kodak v550

Old October 23rd 05, 11:36 AM

Default Kodak v550

I've been looking around for a replacement for my really old HP 120
(it's 1 MP). I was thinking of getting a kodak v550 or v530. I was
wondering if anyone knows much about them. Are they very tough and
strong enough to survive being knocked around a bit? Would you
recommend them? Out of those two which would you choose, or would you
stay away from them altogether?
Any advise would be very much appreciateed.
Thanks

Old November 18th 05, 03:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

The movie mode is pretty good. In bright light, the pictures are great. In
dim light, the pictures are ok. Camera is fast and easy to use. There is
not much user control but plenty of picture modes that resolve alot of the
problems created by lack of manual mode. The LCD is gorgeous and much
better than most of the compitition. Easily fits in a shirt pocket.

Over all, works like an instamatic that takes very nice pictures most of the
time.

Biggest downfall. A really pitiful little battery that can only be charged
in the camera. Kodak should be ashamed. On the upside a second battery is
reletively cheap. I do wonder If I will need a third.

"Ron Baird" wrote in message
om...
wrote:

I've been looking around for a replacement for my really old HP 120
(it's 1 MP). I was thinking of getting a kodak v550 or v530. I was
wondering if anyone knows much about them. Are they very tough and
strong enough to survive being knocked around a bit? Would you
recommend them? Out of those two which would you choose, or would you
stay away from them altogether?
Any advise would be very much appreciateed.
Thanks

Greetings Ben,

I have been experimenting with this model as it has some very attractive
features, i.e. you can take movies and capture stills from the movie.
Pretty nice feature. Of course, it is not as good as taking a still
picture normally, but then you do get a movie. Personally, I like it a
lot. It not only does the movie feature but it is quite compact, easily
fits in your shirt pocket, has a very big viewscreen, and the controls
are done well. I suggest you review the camera online for additional
options and make a trip to a local store so you can get a hands on
review. For me, how you it feels in your hands is 50% of the choice.

For a 5 megapixel camera the camera is really nice.

Talk to you soon, Ben, let me know if you have any questions.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

Old November 18th 05, 04:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Why is charging the battery in the camera such a crime?

Kodak have done this since year dot. And I'm no Kodak fan...

T.

Old November 18th 05, 06:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Well you got me there...

When I was using my Kodak I always charged it the night before to make
sure it was fine for a days shooting.

I use an SLR now that takes ordinary AA nimhs...

Still... if you use your brains and plan a bit.

T.

Old November 19th 05, 04:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

The battery will not work for a days shooting, THAT is the problem. A
pitiful little battery and no easy way to keep extra charged batteries. You
have to charge the battery in the camera the night before, take out the
charged battery and put it somewhere safe, put in the second flat battery
charge it the remember to bring the first battery when you leave. A bigger
battery would have been great, a seperate optional battery charger would
have been awsome.

If Kodak would have planned a little bit, I would have to use my brains as
much.

Shame on you Kodak.

Other than that, I do really like the camera.

My old camera used AA's, life was easy. I had three sets. One in the
camera, one in the pocket and one in the charger. Each set lasted several
days of heavy shooting (for me) and I never had a problem. The kodak
battery only lasts a few hours of heavy shooting and then they are done. I
don't take many pictures (kids getting older) so not a huge problem but it
would have driven us crazy a few years ago.

Now having a camera that is convenient is the most important feature and the
v550 fits the bill.

oups.com...

Old November 19th 05, 07:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Also I'd imagine Kodak charge a king's ransom for their batteries???

T.