Prosumer vs. DLSR thoughts

Old November 12th 04, 08:49 PM
Alfred Molon

In article JB6ld.24573$V41.13854@attbi_s52, Mike says...

Why can't I simply press a button on the 20D that will lock-up the mirror
and open the shutter letting me use the display as a viewfinder? Sure it'll
take longer when I press the shutter-release to reset them, expose the shot,
and lock them open again (actually, the mirror could stay where it is), but
I'd be willing to make that tradeoff when I wanted to.

Agree 100%. Lack of live preview is the major reason for which I haven't
yet bought a DSLR. Another one is that I don't usually shoot at ISO
3200.
--

Alfred Molon

Old November 12th 04, 09:17 PM
YAG-ART

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 21:49:30 +0100, Alfred Molon
wrote:

In article JB6ld.24573$V41.13854@attbi_s52, Mike says...

Why can't I simply press a button on the 20D that will lock-up the mirror
and open the shutter letting me use the display as a viewfinder? Sure it'll
take longer when I press the shutter-release to reset them, expose the shot,
and lock them open again (actually, the mirror could stay where it is), but
I'd be willing to make that tradeoff when I wanted to.

Agree 100%. Lack of live preview is the major reason for which I haven't
yet bought a DSLR. Another one is that I don't usually shoot at ISO
3200.

Preview? What do you think you are seeing though the viewfinder?
Old November 12th 04, 09:29 PM
Charles Schuler

Preview? What do you think you are seeing though the viewfinder?

Folks want stuff to work the way they want it to work. I have gone around
and around with this very issue with friends and family members about all
kinds of products. Forget logic. Forget other points of view. Forget
state of the art and economics. Forget engineering reality and safety and
regulations. Forget the fact that the alternatives can be much better.
Folks want stuff to work the way they want it to work. Now, completely
tired out and bored by this, I simply suggest that they design and build
their own commodities.

Old November 12th 04, 09:29 PM
bob

YAG-ART wrote in news:ua7ap01uq1rhvsl4c862763eefa906lbuu@
4ax.com:

Why would you want to compose via the LCD anyway?

I use my LCD most of the time now. It presents framing more accurately, and
it allows using the camera away from the eye, which I'm doing more and more
now. Either to raise the camera higher (handy for architecture) or to lower
it (good for people pictures).

Bob
Old November 12th 04, 09:39 PM
Matt Ion

Mike wrote:
To date, I have really not been very impressed with the price/performance of
DSLRs.
I tend to like the "prosumer" cameras, especially becuase of integral
lenses - my Minolta A1 lens goes and far and wide (the latter is more
important to me) than I've ever needed it to, and wedding the lens and
camera/sensor design seems to have advantages, especially with respect to
size/weight.

Perhaps, although modern AF SLR lenses are also wedded to the
"camera/sensor" design they're intended for, though a set of electrical
contacts.

Until recently buying a "professional" DSLR probably meant
having no built-in flash (great for "emergencies", if nothing else)

Define "recently"? Film SLRs have had this feature for years, usually
more in the "prosumer" level models than the full-on pro units, and as
many existing DSLRs are based on their film counterparts, it makes sense
that most have had built-in mini-flash from the start.

and also
meant that not all of the light coming though the lens actually fell on the
sensor, while the consumer cams make use of all their leight -- how
riduculous and what a waste of expensive glass!

That doesn't make sense... where does the other light go? Except for a
very few models that use a beamsplitter, the pellicle mirror flips up
out of the way and lets all the light through.

Seems to me you'd have to be
crazy to buy one of those unless you had a significant investmet in lenses
you couldn't do without, or you needed super-fast shot speeds.

Or just simply a focal length that falls outside that of your attached
lens... what do you do if one day you need something wider than yours
goes, maybe a panoramic or fisheye lens... or something significantly
longer to get that really distant shot? You can't just pop off the lens
and snap in one more suited to the shot.

BTW, does that Minolta let you zoom manually? Or do you just push the
"zoom in" or "zoom out" button and sit there and wait while it dials
itself to the proper length, letting the shot slip away? An SLR's zoom
will adjust as quickly as you can twist your wrist.
Old November 12th 04, 09:43 PM

In message ,
YAG-ART wrote:

Why would you want to compose via the LCD anyway?

So that you're not limited to the perspectives that are available when
your eye is pinned to the viewfinder.
--

John P Sheehy