I'm in the process of building a new computer ....

Old July 25th 16, 10:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

Default I'm in the process of building a new computer ....

On 7/25/2016 2:17 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Neil
wrote:

| usb 3 is backwards compatible. a bunch of usb 3 ports is all that's
| needed.

The port is. The support is not.

that's a contradiction.

usb 3 is backwards compatible which means that plugging a usb 2 device
into a usb 3 port or a usb 3 device into a usb 2 port will work, just
at usb 2 speeds. if it doesn't work, then something is non-compliant
with the spec.

Perhaps that is what Mayayana meant by "support"? I have a USB3 HD that
*only* works on a USB2 port for some reason. And, of course, this kind
of thing isn't a new problem.

either your drive or your usb 3 ports are defective or non-compliant.

Obviously.

don't blame the technology for buying ****ty products.

It's a Western Digital drive and a Toshiba notebook. Which are you
calling "****ty"?

--
Best regards,

Neil
Old July 25th 16, 10:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 25 Jul 2016 09:57:23 +0100, David Taylor
wrote:

On 25/07/2016 09:34, Eric Stevens wrote:
I'm in the process of building a new computer and, so far, I have only
got to the paper stage.

I am not looking for the right-now blazingly fast but I would like it
to stay out of the bog-slow for the next five years.

I have a number of questions upon which I would like comments.

1. How many threads are Photoshop/LightRoom likely to be able to use
over the next five years? Anyone who knows DxO sufficiently well is
also welcome to comment.

2. With how much RAM should should the machine be equipped?

I have a zillion other questions but that will do for a start.

1. If in doubt, get a 4-coe with hyperthreading.

I've already got a generation 2 i7 that runs 8 threads on 4 cores.
They can get pretty busy on occasion. I'm wondering whether I should
get a 6 core processor this time.

2. I would start with 16 GB, and 32 GB isn't a "silly" amount.

That is more or less in line with my thinking.

SSD for the system. HD or two for your data. USB 3.0 and (perhaps if
you have older peripherals) USB 2.0 as well. Some USB 3 doesn't work
with USB 2, and some USB 2 doesn't work with USB 1. Sigh! USB-C?

I never seem to have enough USB ...

Eric Stevens
Old July 25th 16, 10:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Neil
wrote:

| usb 3 is backwards compatible. a bunch of usb 3 ports is all that's
| needed.

The port is. The support is not.

that's a contradiction.

usb 3 is backwards compatible which means that plugging a usb 2 device
into a usb 3 port or a usb 3 device into a usb 2 port will work, just
at usb 2 speeds. if it doesn't work, then something is non-compliant
with the spec.

Perhaps that is what Mayayana meant by "support"? I have a USB3 HD that
*only* works on a USB2 port for some reason. And, of course, this kind
of thing isn't a new problem.

either your drive or your usb 3 ports are defective or non-compliant.

Obviously.

not that obvious, because you initially said lack of support and now
you say it's a problem with either or both devices.

don't blame the technology for buying ****ty products.

It's a Western Digital drive and a Toshiba notebook. Which are you
calling "****ty"?

there's no way to know without testing both.

western digital and toshiba make a *lot* of products, with some being
better than others.
Old July 25th 16, 11:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 25 Jul 2016 02:29:22 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

On Monday, 25 July 2016 04:35:04 UTC-4, Eric Stevens wrote:
I'm in the process of building a new computer and, so far, I have only
got to the paper stage.

I am not looking for the right-now blazingly fast but I would like it
to stay out of the bog-slow for the next five years.

I have a number of questions upon which I would like comments.

1. How many threads are Photoshop/LightRoom likely to be able to use
over the next five years? Anyone who knows DxO sufficiently well is
also welcome to comment.

2. With how much RAM should should the machine be equipped?

I have a zillion other questions but that will do for a start.

nospam is welcome.

Eric Stevens

Depending on what your screen will be, a video card that supports 4K might be a good idea.

Right now I'm running two Dell U2410 24" 1920 x 1200. I don't know
what I might upgrade to in the future. I've tentatively penciled in a
Radeon R9 380X as a graphics card.

Eric Stevens
Old July 25th 16, 11:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 25 Jul 2016 09:30:20 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

But you shouldn't scrimp on the
power supply. If that overloads it will blow everything.

Been there. Done that. :-(

Never again.

Eric Stevens
Old July 25th 16, 11:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 25 Jul 2016 10:24:01 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

1. How many threads are Photoshop/LightRoom likely to be able to use
over the next five years? Anyone who knows DxO sufficiently well is
also welcome to comment.

photoshop will use as many threads as are necessary for a given task.
sometimes it's only one thread, sometimes it's 8 or more.

you're *way* overanalyzing things.

That's me, I'm afraid. :-)

2. With how much RAM should should the machine be equipped?

as much as you can afford.

Eric Stevens
Old July 25th 16, 11:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 25 Jul 2016 11:58:34 -0400, Davoud wrote:

Eric Stevens:

I'm in the process of building a new computer and, so far, I have only
got to the paper stage.

But can't run two matched screens. We have already discussed this.

No Apple Stores in NZ? All you need is a bit of paper or plastic and
they'll send you home with a new computer that works. And works and
works and works...

Eric Stevens
Old July 25th 16, 11:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

No Apple Stores in NZ? All you need is a bit of paper or plastic and
they'll send you home with a new computer that works. And works and
works and works...

But can't run two matched screens. We have already discussed this.

the mac mini and mac pro can use whatever displays you want.

the built in display of the imac is not only retina 5k, but also wide
gamut (dci p3), so if you insist on two identical displays (whether
it's a mac or pc), you'd be stuck with lesser quality.

and don't forget that apple is expected to announce new stuff in a
little more than a month.
Old July 26th 16, 12:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Davoud wrote:
No Apple Stores in NZ? All you need is a bit of paper or plastic and
they'll send you home with a new computer that works. And works and
works and works...

Eric Stevens:

But can't run two matched screens. We have already discussed this.

I was confused by your quoting and rearranged this thread according to
what made sense to me. Apologies if I thereby misrepresented what you
said.

Did you mean that it has been discussed and settled that Macs can't do
video mirroring? If so, that's not the case. Though more typically Mac
graphics users run an extended display. My wife runs Photoshop on one
display and Lightroom on the other, e.g. (27" iMac 5K Retina/Fusion +
24" external).

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old July 26th 16, 01:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 25 Jul 2016 18:28:44 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

No Apple Stores in NZ? All you need is a bit of paper or plastic and
they'll send you home with a new computer that works. And works and
works and works...

But can't run two matched screens. We have already discussed this.

I've already discussed this with Apple. The mini can't do what I want
and the Pro is way to expensive.

the mac mini and mac pro can use whatever displays you want.

the built in display of the imac is not only retina 5k, but also wide
gamut (dci p3), so if you insist on two identical displays (whether
it's a mac or pc), you'd be stuck with lesser quality.

and don't forget that apple is expected to announce new stuff in a
little more than a month.

Thanks. I didn't know that.

Eric Stevens