I'm in the process of building a new computer ....

Old July 25th 16, 04:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Default I'm in the process of building a new computer ....

Eric Stevens:

I'm in the process of building a new computer and, so far, I have only
got to the paper stage.

No Apple Stores in NZ? All you need is a bit of paper or plastic and
they'll send you home with a new computer that works. And works and
works and works...

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old July 25th 16, 05:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 25/07/2016 16:52, Mayayana wrote:
| I do disagree with your other comment on AMD processors. I've had some
| problems with them in the past, and would never touch them now. I
| always buy Intel.

"Some problems"? What problems? Some years
ago they were tricky in that one needed to be
aware of possible overheating problems. They
needed good cooling and preferably a heat
monitor. But that hasn't been true for many
years. They now have built-in functionality to
shut down for microseconds at a time, when not
needed for any work, which keeps them easily
within a low temp range, not much above Summer
air temperatures.
I've built about 10 computers in the past several
years, for myself and friends. All have AMD CPUs.
None has had any problems.

Yes, overheating was one, motherboard problems (appreciate those aren't
of AMD's making) resulting in various incompatibilities. Friends of
mine also use AMD and haven't reported significant problems.

Here's a balanced comparison:

http://www.techradar.com/news/comput...is-best-936589

I also agree with the comment on buying one or two steps down from the
top level. For most people CPU power is now "adequate". Gamers and
video editors are possible exceptions!
--
Cheers,
David
Old July 25th 16, 05:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 7/25/2016 11:30 AM, David Taylor wrote:
On 25/07/2016 15:33, Mayayana wrote:
[]
The port is. The support is not. The only
advantage of USB3 is speed. If you use
memory sticks daily that might matter.
Otherwise it's of little relevance.

With the size of files these days (especially camera files) USB 3 is a
significant advantage. I don't do a lot, but when backing up onto a
64 GB USB stick or 1 TB HD, or downloading an SD card, USB does show a
real speed increase.

Whether USB-C is going to replace it is another question....

I do disagree with your other comment on AMD processors. I've had
some problems with them in the past, and would never touch them now.
I always buy Intel. Even the Intel processors used in tablets are
fine, and with an SSD they will boot Windows-10 very quickly.

I've built quite a few systems over the years and bought a few also.
All have had AMD processors and I've never had an issue with any of them,

Old July 25th 16, 06:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Adriano[_2_]

nospam ha usato la sua tastiera per scrivere :

that's a contradiction.
usb 3 is backwards compatible which means that plugging a usb 2 device
into a usb 3 port or a usb 3 device into a usb 2 port will work, just
at usb 2 speeds. if it doesn't work, then something is non-compliant
with the spec.

but in the real world I have found USB3 devices that doesn't work on
old pc's USB2, and it is not a matter of current.
Don't ask me why because I don't know, but it happens.

wrong. usb3 can source substantially more power, along with other
benefits, but even if that was the only advantage, the difference is
*huge*.

In my office i have pc pc with usb3; not a great pc, but win a good cpu
(i7 2600). Copying large files tu a usb3 disk reach a speed around
80/90 Mb/sec, but the pc slow down as an old P4 until the copy
finished.

nonsense.

anyone that uses a hard drive or ssd daily (i.e., everyone) will
greatly benefit from the additional speed of usb3 (and power if the
device is bus-powered).

I agree. Speed is good enough to overcome the negative issues. I never
found devices that really needs all the current that usb3 can supply,
but better to have some current more than less.
Old July 25th 16, 06:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Adriano
wrote:

that's a contradiction.
usb 3 is backwards compatible which means that plugging a usb 2 device
into a usb 3 port or a usb 3 device into a usb 2 port will work, just
at usb 2 speeds. if it doesn't work, then something is non-compliant
with the spec.

but in the real world I have found USB3 devices that doesn't work on
old pc's USB2, and it is not a matter of current.
Don't ask me why because I don't know, but it happens.

then they're defective or non-compliant.

wrong. usb3 can source substantially more power, along with other
benefits, but even if that was the only advantage, the difference is
*huge*.

In my office i have pc pc with usb3; not a great pc, but win a good cpu
(i7 2600). Copying large files tu a usb3 disk reach a speed around
80/90 Mb/sec, but the pc slow down as an old P4 until the copy
finished.

something is limiting your speeds if you're only getting 80/90 mb/s.

nonsense.

anyone that uses a hard drive or ssd daily (i.e., everyone) will
greatly benefit from the additional speed of usb3 (and power if the
device is bus-powered).

I agree. Speed is good enough to overcome the negative issues.

what negative issues? usb3 is in every way better than usb 2.

I never
found devices that really needs all the current that usb3 can supply,
but better to have some current more than less.

you've never used a bus-powered hard drive? or charged a phone?
Old July 25th 16, 07:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 7/25/2016 10:56 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| usb 3 is backwards compatible. a bunch of usb 3 ports is all that's
| needed.

The port is. The support is not.

that's a contradiction.

usb 3 is backwards compatible which means that plugging a usb 2 device
into a usb 3 port or a usb 3 device into a usb 2 port will work, just
at usb 2 speeds. if it doesn't work, then something is non-compliant
with the spec.

Perhaps that is what Mayayana meant by "support"? I have a USB3 HD that
*only* works on a USB2 port for some reason. And, of course, this kind
of thing isn't a new problem.

--
Best regards,

Neil
Old July 25th 16, 07:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Neil
wrote:

| usb 3 is backwards compatible. a bunch of usb 3 ports is all that's
| needed.

The port is. The support is not.

that's a contradiction.

usb 3 is backwards compatible which means that plugging a usb 2 device
into a usb 3 port or a usb 3 device into a usb 2 port will work, just
at usb 2 speeds. if it doesn't work, then something is non-compliant
with the spec.

Perhaps that is what Mayayana meant by "support"? I have a USB3 HD that
*only* works on a USB2 port for some reason. And, of course, this kind
of thing isn't a new problem.

either your drive or your usb 3 ports are defective or non-compliant.

don't blame the technology for buying ****ty products.
Old July 25th 16, 07:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 25/07/2016 17:54, PAS wrote:
[]
I've built quite a few systems over the years and bought a few also.
All have had AMD processors and I've never had an issue with any of them,

That's good to hear. We were seeing problems even a few years ago, but
as I said earlier, that may reflect more on the motherboards than the
processors themselves.

--
Cheers,
David
Old July 25th 16, 08:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Mon, 25 Jul 2016 14:17:50 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Neil
wrote:

| usb 3 is backwards compatible. a bunch of usb 3 ports is all that's
| needed.

The port is. The support is not.

that's a contradiction.

usb 3 is backwards compatible which means that plugging a usb 2 device
into a usb 3 port or a usb 3 device into a usb 2 port will work, just
at usb 2 speeds. if it doesn't work, then something is non-compliant
with the spec.

Perhaps that is what Mayayana meant by "support"? I have a USB3 HD that
*only* works on a USB2 port for some reason. And, of course, this kind
of thing isn't a new problem.

either your drive or your usb 3 ports are defective or non-compliant.

Or bad cables, or drivers, or a port that isn't even connected, or
connected to the wrong mainboard terminal.

USB3 has been around long enough now that there shouldn't be any
issues with recent mainboards, or really anything else. But you never
know.
Old July 25th 16, 08:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

| usb 3 is backwards compatible. a bunch of usb 3 ports is all that's
| needed.

The port is. The support is not.

that's a contradiction.

usb 3 is backwards compatible which means that plugging a usb 2 device
into a usb 3 port or a usb 3 device into a usb 2 port will work, just
at usb 2 speeds. if it doesn't work, then something is non-compliant
with the spec.

Perhaps that is what Mayayana meant by "support"? I have a USB3 HD that
*only* works on a USB2 port for some reason. And, of course, this kind
of thing isn't a new problem.

either your drive or your usb 3 ports are defective or non-compliant.

Or bad cables, or drivers, or a port that isn't even connected, or
connected to the wrong mainboard terminal.

USB3 has been around long enough now that there shouldn't be any
issues with recent mainboards, or really anything else. But you never
know.

the usb spec requires that usb 3 devices and hosts be able to negotiate
a usb 2 connection (or even usb 1 with an ancient device) if both sides
don't support usb 3.

if that doesn't happen, something is wrong and needs to be fixed.