Apple gives a new meaning to solid state.

Old October 29th 13, 08:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Apple gives a new meaning to solid state.

On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 20:00:57 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

the battery is rated at 5 years.

But Apple are prepared to warrant it for only one year. After that
the
owner has to pay for it.

learn about oem products.

Nevertheless, Apple is prepared to put their money behind the battery
for only one year.

they warrant the computer for a year. there isn't a separate warranty
for each individual part.

same thing with lenovo or anyone else.

So, as I said, Apple is prepared to put their money behind the battery
for only one year.

they do exactly what every other pc maker does.

name a pc maker that warrants each individual component separately.

there you go criticizing apple for doing exactly what everyone else
does.

That's a straw man argument of your own creation. Nobody has suggested
warranting all the parts. It's only the warranty on the battery which
is the subject of discussion.

it's not a straw man.

the entire computer carries a warranty, not each individual part. it's
no different than any other company.

the same battery technology is used in lenovo and dell and sony and
others and they don't offer a warranty beyond the computer itself
either.

doesn't lenovo stand behind its batteries?

This is nonsense. You ask me "name a pc maker that warrants each
individual component separately" and when I point that nobody has
suggested that should be the case you respond with a question about
Lenovo standing behind its batteries. Your thoughts are like
fireworks, banging and cracking all over the place but with no
coherent pattern.

for example, hard drives sold retail come with 1-3 year warranties,
sometimes 5 years.

however, for the hard drive in a computer, you get the warranty of the
computer, which is normally 1 year. you don't get 5 years on the drive
and 1 year on the computer.

if you contact seagate or western digital, they'll say call lenovo,
apple, dell, etc. as far as they're concerned, it's not their drive.

I've bought both Seagate and Western Digital HDDs with an ex-factory
warranty of 3 years.

ok so you don't understand oem either.

OEM is not a concern of the retail buyer.

it is when it comes to a repair.

the warranty is through the computer maker, not the drive maker.

users wonder why a retail drive has a 3 or even 5 year warranty but the
exact same drive inside their computer is just 1 year, and they don't
usually like the explanation.

The warranty given by the computer maker has nothing to do with the
warranty given by the component manufacturer.

go tell customers that.

customers see the same drive on the shelf in the store and inside their
computer, yet they have different warranties.

Very few customers know what's inside their computer. Fewer still know
about individual component warrantys. These geeks are probably a
subset of those who want to change their own batteries.

their computer has a 1 year warranty and the drive failed at 2 years,
while the *same* drive at their local store has a 5 year warranty. when
you tell them oem has nothing to do with any warranty and they are out
of luck, they get mad.

So?

if the drive can have a 5 year warranty in the store why can't the
drive in the computer have the same?

Because it's part of the terms of the deal. But what's this got to do
with battery life?

or is lenovo and others using rejects, the ones that could never last 5
years?

shouldn't that be something users should know in advance? that lenovo
is using second rate parts and not standing behind them??

By all means. Why don't you write an article about it? Then we can all
stand round and watch you get sued.

I doubt if anyone is going to sue iFixit for pointing out how hard it
is to change the battery in the new Apple Probook.

Eric Stevens
Old October 29th 13, 08:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 20:01:02 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

So why are you so reluctant to actually say there is no Apple warranty
for the battery beyond one year?

There is. AppleCare can be extended to three years. The warranty is for the
entire product, not just one part of it.

That's not a warranty. It's the purchaser buying insurance.

the 1 year warranty is part of the original price.

and it's the same with any other company.

And that's true of the extended warranty which is paid for by the
customer.

Eric Stevens
Old October 29th 13, 08:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 28 Oct 2013 23:21:41 GMT, Sandman wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens wrote:

Nevertheless, Apple is prepared to put their money behind the battery
for only one year.

Why is this a problem for you? Apple will gladly sell you an extended
warranty for three years if you feel you want more security.

So you are saying that Apple is happy to put the purchaser's money
behind the battery for the next two years, but not their own money.

I am saying that Macs get the industry-standard one-year warranty. Apple
stands behind "the battery" in the same amount as every other vendor out
there.

Please don't duck out. The question is about whose money is at risk in
the extended warranties. Hint: it's not Apple's.

Apple has extended warranties, yes.

They are insurance policies and almost certainly you will find they
are not directly underwritten by Apple. Apple will clip the ticket on
the way through, however.

Huh? Are you saying that Apple doesn't "sign" for AppleCare? What point is
it that you're trying to make here?

I'm saying that Apple doesn't have any of their own money at risk with
extended warranties and that they probably make a margin on their
sale.

Eric Stevens
Old October 29th 13, 08:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 20:00:58 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

They are insurance policies and almost certainly you will find they
are not directly underwritten by Apple. Apple will clip the ticket on
the way through, however.

applecare is through apple.

I expected that to be the case.

other extended warranties are not, such as what is offered by best buy
or some credit cards, and they don't offer as hassle-free coverage
either.

Eric Stevens
Old October 29th 13, 08:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Tony Cooper wrote:

Tony working hard to be the group's largest idiot.

When nospam posts, he posts dozens of posts a day and interleaves his
comments in the body which results in many lines per post. When I
read today, some idiotic comment, I'm not about to trawl back through
three days of his posts to figure out what he *really" meant.

Which is fine, if you were ok by just being mistaken and just accepting his
clarifiaction. But that's not the way you work. You jump on some detail and
won't let go how much proof one puts forward to prove that you - AGAIN -
misinterpreted something written in simple English.

I'm retired, and have some time, but I don't have *that* much time.

It takes no times to be an idiot, it takes some time to make sure you're
not. IT is clear what choice you made.

It's up to him to make each post self-sufficient and one that clearly
presents his position.

Hahaha! It was his mistake all along that you misinterpreted and spent 20
posts insisting that your interpretation superceded his clarifications :-D

Same with you. If you make another blunder that might have been
understandable if I read something you wrote a 1,000 lines ago, I'm
not going to sort through your "onslaught" of juvenile hectoring to
figure out what you meant.

I don't think you have the capacity to "figure out" what anyone means,
you'll continue to resort to your own imagination to invent an argument
where there was noen before you showed up.

I will sometimes refer to a previous post that's still visible in the
pane that contradicts something said, but y'all aren't writing
anything particularly important or memorable. Mostly, it's re-hashing
indefensible arguments.

Haha, keep telling yourself that, Andreas.

Certain things nospam's come up with are memorable, though. Like his
famous market share survey technique. That's a classic not easily
forgotten. Equally classic is his definition of "expensive".

You may be willing to backtrack through old posts to ascertain meaning
of current posts, but small minds are easily entertained.

I would make sure to do so if I was insisting on someone else meaning
something he is claiming he didn't mean. As it is, I don't go around
claiming that you meant something if you have clarified what you meant.
That's your method of "interaction".

--
Sandman[.net]
Old October 29th 13, 08:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Tony working hard to be the group's largest idiot.

When nospam posts, he posts dozens of posts a day and interleaves his
comments in the body which results in many lines per post. When I
read today, some idiotic comment, I'm not about to trawl back through
three days of his posts to figure out what he *really" meant.
I'm retired, and have some time, but I don't have *that* much time.

if you comprehend it properly the first time, you won't need to go
back, and most of these threads will be shorter.

It's up to him to make each post self-sufficient and one that clearly
presents his position.

i do, but i can't help when people misunderstand.

and if you don't understand something, ask to clarify, don't fabricate
your own meaning so you can argue.

Certain things nospam's come up with are memorable, though. Like his
famous market share survey technique. That's a classic not easily
forgotten. Equally classic is his definition of "expensive".

i'm not the first person to observe real world usage. this is a very
old and longstanding technique. not my fault if you never heard of it.
try learning for something for a change.

also, my definition of expensive is the same as everyone elses.

you are once again, making up stuff.

it's your misinterpretation (often intentional, because nobody can be
that stupid) that is 'classic'.
Old October 29th 13, 08:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Have you tired yet of defending the indefensible?

nothing indefensible about it.

you misunderstood and refuse to admit your mistake.

i said people replace their computer before the battery fails. that
doesn't mean the computer failed when they replaced it, only that they
wanted a new computer, which could be for any of a many, many different
reasons.

Why are you lying? In the post I was referring to you said "lasts
longer". You didn't say what you claim have said above.

yes i most certainly did say what i claim.

give it up. you aren't doing yourself any favours trying to avoid
admitting you didn't understand anything.
Old October 29th 13, 08:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 10/29/2013 4:25 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

you do sleep, don't you? do you actually use a laptop for 15 hours
non-stop?? no, you don't. nor do you use it while away from a power
source for that long.

That is exactly my point. the battery time on my ThinkPad is sufficient.

so this is a non-issue.

Then why did you object when the OP pointed to an article stating that
the batteries are glued.

because it was a one sided article with an agenda.

the real question is since it's a non-issue, why post it and why even
write it in the first place?

However, I have been known to do a twenty-four, to meet a deadline.

24 hours, entirely on battery power??

are you doing this in the middle of a forest, where there is no power
outlet?

You are twisting. My comment was purely in response to your statement
about the need for sleep. You snipped the parts that put my comments in
proper context.

no twisting at all. you keep changing things and i can't keep up.

You snipped and took away all context. Do try to keep up.

--
PeterN
Old October 29th 13, 08:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 10/29/2013 4:26 PM, Sandman wrote:
In article , PeterN wrote:

Tony working hard to be the group's largest idiot.

With you around it's an impossible goal.

Troll #3 joins the race to the bottom, while not trying to improve his
photography.

Crawl back under your bridge.

--
PeterN
Old October 29th 13, 08:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 10/29/2013 4:27 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

Do you have inside information about Apple, that most of us don't. just
wondering how you know so much about Apple's business strategy.

i pay attention to the tech industry, which includes apple.

you don't, so you don't know what they do or why.

Does that mean all tech companies are the same?

--
PeterN