O/T: Nibbling on an Apple

Old August 7th 13, 09:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Nibbling on an Apple

In article , Sandman
wrote:

users want to access *content*. where that content is does not matter.
it might not even be on their device.

If the content I need is "what to do when the power goes out," I want it
on my device, so I can access it while I still have battery power.

Do you have any example of such content to share with us, or did you
just make that up to have an argument?

you need to ask? he argues for the sake of arguing.

And why is this supposed content on the device that may have the power
go out instead of in a medium that isn't susceptible to that, like...
paper?

or have battery backup, so when the power does go out, the machine
continues to function.

laptops and tablets have this ability built-in because they have a
battery. for desktops, you need to add an external battery.
Old August 7th 13, 09:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

users want to access *content*. where that content is does not matter.
it might not even be on their device.

If the content I need is "what to do when the power goes out," I want it
on my device, so I can access it while I still have battery power.

Do you have any example of such content to share with us, or did you
just make that up to have an argument?

And why is this supposed content on the device that may have the power
go out instead of in a medium that isn't susceptible to that, like...
paper?

OK! That was a whoosh, but I'll explain.
There are times when immediate access to content is required. If the
Internet line goes down, production should not have to come to a halt. I
was specifically thinking of C&C operations, where the entire set of
machine instructions is downloaded. It is also downloaded for review,
for possible transmission corruption.

that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic, but if production
were to come to a halt if the power or internet went out (i see you're
already changing things, hard to keep up), then you need to have backup
systems in place so that production doesn't come to a halt. not doing
so is negligent. it's not rocket science.

get a ups and an alternate network connection. there are routers that
will do an automatic fallback to the secondary network connection if
the main one fails. some even can use both at the same time for added
throughput.
Old August 7th 13, 09:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Sandman
wrote:

There are times when immediate access to content is required. If the
Internet line goes down, production should not have to come to a halt. I
was specifically thinking of C&C operations, where the entire set of
machine instructions is downloaded. It is also downloaded for review,
for possible transmission corruption.

Uh, ok, but that really doesn't fit the entire "what to do when the
power goes out" content...

Also, you are now talking about when the internet line goes down, not
when power goes out, so it seems we've strayed a bit here...

he's always all over the map. he doesn't ever stay on topic. he is
trying to come up with some fabricated issue that's completely
irrelevant.
Old August 7th 13, 09:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

What's this? I didn't make any comment about the iPad affecting the
file system. What the iPad does internally is quite irrelevant to me
and my use of the product.

exactly the point.

what goes on inside the device does not matter. what matters is how
easily you can find the photos you want or whatever else you want to
do.
Old August 7th 13, 09:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Home Depot carries hundreds of different tools. I only buy the tools
from Home Depot that I have some known use for. If some new task
comes up where a new and different tool is required, I'll buy it.

comparing an ipad to a tool is silly. the ipad is not a product that
does one task, like a screwdriver or power drill.

I approach the iPad the same way. nospam, and others, seem to want me
to create new tasks so I have to get new tools to use with the new
tasks in order to be progressive.

nope. it's just surprising that you buy a computer and not install any
software on it.

you installed software on your laptop and desktop, so why not the
tablet? it makes no sense.

So far, I've not even tried to use it in a wi-fi hot spot. Haven't
had a reason I wanted to.

I mostly use mine at home with my home Wi-Fi network. However, there
are those hotspots if I need them, and if I am traveling I can either
buy a block of 3G/4G bandwidth for the trip, or wirelessly tether to my
iPhone to share some of that bandwidth I am paying for with my Verizon
phone data plan.

I don't understand that. If you have a desktop at home, why would you
use your iPad instead? You are using a product with a smaller screen
and keyboard instead of your desktop. What's the advantage to that?

because the user experience for many tasks is much better on an ipad.
that's why they're so popular. not all tasks, but a lot of them.

it can also do many things a desktop or laptop cannot do, since it has
a gps, gyroscope, accelerometer, compass, two cameras and always-on
internet.

however, you do need to install apps to utilize its capabilities.
Old August 7th 13, 09:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , David Taylor
wrote:

I don't understand that. If you have a desktop at home, why would you
use your iPad instead? You are using a product with a smaller screen
and keyboard instead of your desktop. What's the advantage to that?

The advantage being that you can take it anywhere in the house.

not just anywhere in the house. take it to the coffee shop, doctor's
office, car repair shop, etc. it's a lot more convenient than lugging a
laptop and certainly a desktop.
Old August 7th 13, 09:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

My ipad makes a better alarm clock than my alarm clock ever did.

That's wonderful. Amazing, innit, that people have been getting up on
time for years without benefit of the "better" alarm clock. We've
seen such progress in that area. There was a time, you know, when
people employed someone to "knock them up" by tapping on their window
with a long stick. That phrase has acquired a new meaning.

there was a time when there were no word processors. we all used
typewriters and had a pile of crumpled paper behind the desk. there was
a time before there were typewriters too.

there was a time when there were no cars or planes. if you wanted to go
overseas, it took weeks and you might even hit icebergs along the way
because there was no radar.

there was a time when there were no treatments for many diseases.

yea, let's go back to those days. you are *so* stuck in the past that
it's scary.
Old August 7th 13, 09:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

suppose you go to france and take a photo of your wife in front of the
eiffel tower with a nice sunset. that is three categories right there.
photos in france, photos of your wife and sunset photos. your way would
be to make 3 folders with a copy of the photo in each. if a photo has
multiple people or fits multiple categories, then it's even more
copies. that's insanity.

What's that got to do with me? What you do is apply your own system
to other people's system with a total lack of understanding of how
they use their system. Consequently, your comments make little sense
and are usually totally off-base.

quite the opposite. you are assuming *your* method is how everyone
should work. your method is also rather convoluted and inefficient and
i doubt very many people would want to have that kind of workflow.
worse, you are insistent on never looking at any alternatives.

In the case above, the photo would be in Lightroom with whatever
keywords I assign to it. One photo is all that's needed.

exactly!

you don't interact with the file system in lightroom. it's a managed
database. you're making my point, yet you argue. bizarre.

You do know what Lightroom is, don't you? And how keywords work?

yep, i explained that to you a year or two ago.

It sounds like you do a lot of things more complicated than necessary
and you need some computer crutch to allow you to do these things.

nonsense.

That you would even think the three photos in your example would be
needed shows that you do.

once again you twist what i said. i never said anything of the sort.

you said you make multiple copies of photos. i'm going by what you said
you do.

it sounds like you're stuck with the limitations that a file system
imparts and don't understand that there are much easier and better ways
to do things as well as being able to do many more things that were not
previously possible.

Learn about what the Lightroom Library module and keywording works and
you won't be thinking of such ridiculous examples.

i know exactly what lightroom can do, since i've been using it since it
was beta, before you could have used it even if you wanted to because
it was mac-only then.

I understand my system. You are a hater of good systems. A systems
basher.

you don't understand it as well anywhere near as well as you think you
do, and i don't hate anything, nor was i bashing systems.

You have proven yourself to be a file system hater and a basher.

because using the file system to manage zillions of files is primitive
and inefficient.

i'm for progress, not stagnation. that is not bashing. it's common
sense.

In fact, you have become an Apple basher and hater because you are
criticizing the use of the product if no apps are added. You may have
your Apple Kool-Aid subscription cancelled.

i never had an apple kool-aid subscription. i'm very critical about the
stupid **** they do, as i am for any company.

I don't have music on my iPad unless it was pre-loaded from the
source. I haven't bothered to look.

Why are you nattering on about music? Who brought that up?

i brought it up because music is an *excellent* example how technology
has advanced beyond the limitations of directly accessing it in the
file system. photos are getting there.

Once again, you apply your own needs to other people without any
consideration of what their needs and interests are. Music is *not*
an excellent example to people who don't listen to music using their
iPad.

music is an excellent example of the point i'm making. it doesn't
matter if someone listens to music or not.

and what boring person doesn't ever listen to music anyway?

You are evidently under the impression that everyone else except me
(cf: "the rest of the world") is embracing every new technological
advance.

if i'm the only one who wants to see progress, then explain how
technology is changing so rapidly. the answer is because unlike you,
the rest of the world is interested in progress, not stagnation.

Do you realize that there are millions of people who think
"Apple" is only the name of something to make pies from?

this has absolutely *nothing* whatsoever to do with just apple. you
show your ignorance once again.

many companies are working on moving beyond the limitations of file
systems, including microsoft.

you're even using a non-apple product that did so, that being adobe
lightroom.

and since you haven't a clue, the best you can do is turn it into apple
bashing.

Take another airplane ride, nospam. You might find your "market
survey" will show that there are a few people on that airplane who
don't even own a mobile phone, let alone an iPad or other brand
tablet. Try not to faint from shock.

more insults. you're so predictable.
Old August 7th 13, 09:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Sandman
wrote:

why would you do what? why would you recopy them? because if you change
one the others are now out of sync.

I sometimes send a copy to a different folder for a specific reason.
There is no reason to keep that copy in sync with the original.

For example, I have a folder titled Upload CandF. If I edit an image
that I will post in a forum like DigitalGrin or a competition like
Shoot-In, I send a copy of the final edit to that folder. It makes it
easy to find when I want to upload it and gives me a record of what
I've used in that forum or competition. I'm not going to re-edit that
image unless someone wants to see a different version. In that case,
I re-edit the .psd in the original file and send the new version to
that folder. I don't want to over-write the original.

Wow, that has got to be one of the most complicated workflows I've ever
seen.

he likes making things difficult.

In the case above, the photo would be in Lightroom with whatever
keywords I assign to it. One photo is all that's needed.

You do know what Lightroom is, don't you? And how keywords work?

You do know that Lightroom uses a *DATABASE*, do you? You just proved
the entire point.

he did prove my point. he argues just to argue, even when he
contradicts himself.
Old August 7th 13, 09:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

suppose you go to france and take a photo of your wife in front of the
eiffel tower with a nice sunset. that is three categories right there.
photos in france, photos of your wife and sunset photos. your way would
be to make 3 folders with a copy of the photo in each. if a photo has
multiple people or fits multiple categories, then it's even more
copies. that's insanity.

What's that got to do with me?

It's a generic scenario that is meant to illustrate a common need for
people that have a desire to organize their photos.
Just because it doesn't specifically mention your wife by name or the
last city you visited doesn't mean it can't be applied to your
horrendous workflow above.

But is isn't my scenario. Why bring it up to convince me of
something?

this isn't about *you*.

Even so, it is not any kind of generic or common scenario. To be a
generic scenario, it has to be relating to a whole group or class.
That's what "generic" is. You think there's some whole group or class
out there that creates three files as described above?

actually it is an extremely common scenario. just about everyone
listens to music at some point or another. many people listen to music
daily.

I suspect there are only three generic scenarios: the group that
doesn't have any interest in calling up files by specific aspect and
just stores their files in the way the computer uploads them, the
group that uses a file & folder or date sequence to store the one
file, and the group that does want to do this and use a system like
Lightroom to do it.

Taking in all accumulators of digital images, I suspect the first
group is the largest group.

what if photos aren't someone's scenario, as music is not yours?

this isn't about music or photos in particular. it's about file
systems. those are just two examples of how file systems are very
limited and how there are much better solutions available.

since you don't understand the topic, you go off on various tangents
and attacks.