O/T: Nibbling on an Apple

Old August 7th 13, 02:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

Default Nibbling on an Apple

On 8/7/2013 9:26 AM, Sandman wrote:
In article ,
PeterN wrote:

users want to access *content*. where that content is does not matter.
it might not even be on their device.

If the content I need is "what to do when the power goes out," I want it
on my device, so I can access it while I still have battery power.

Do you have any example of such content to share with us, or did you
just make that up to have an argument?

And why is this supposed content on the device that may have the power
go out instead of in a medium that isn't susceptible to that, like...
paper?

OK! That was a whoosh, but I'll explain.
There are times when immediate access to content is required. If the
Internet line goes down, production should not have to come to a halt. I
was specifically thinking of C&C operations, where the entire set of
machine instructions is downloaded. It is also downloaded for review,
for possible transmission corruption.

--
PeterN
Old August 7th 13, 02:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article ,
PeterN wrote:

i don't assume anything. however, making things easier is something all
users want. except maybe you.

Do you know his needs? You can't suggest how to make things easier,
unless you understand the user's needs. One size does not fit all.

Well, using a database is most certainly a superset of using the
filesystem. Everything you do in your file system can be done with the
database approach and more. So generally speaking you most certainly
cold make the claim that a solid database application would make it
easier for everyone, even if they currently can't see any use outside of
their current system.

Think of it as Adobe Bridge vs Adobe Lightroom. In Bridge, what you see
and handle are files in the filesystem, while in Adobe Lightroom, you
manage the database that in turn point to files kept inside the
Lightroom Catalog structure that you don't have to deal with at any
point.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old August 7th 13, 02:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article ,
PeterN wrote:

users want to access *content*. where that content is does not matter.
it might not even be on their device.

If the content I need is "what to do when the power goes out," I want it
on my device, so I can access it while I still have battery power.

Do you have any example of such content to share with us, or did you
just make that up to have an argument?

And why is this supposed content on the device that may have the power
go out instead of in a medium that isn't susceptible to that, like...
paper?

There are times when immediate access to content is required. If the
Internet line goes down, production should not have to come to a halt. I
was specifically thinking of C&C operations, where the entire set of
machine instructions is downloaded. It is also downloaded for review,
for possible transmission corruption.

Uh, ok, but that really doesn't fit the entire "what to do when the
power goes out" content...

Also, you are now talking about when the internet line goes down, not
when power goes out, so it seems we've strayed a bit here...

--
Sandman[.net]
Old August 7th 13, 02:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-08-07 06:20:07 -0700, PeterN said:

On 8/7/2013 6:24 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Mine are in albums on my iPad. Is that not a file system?

Exactly - but nospam doesn't seem to realise that.

it's not a file system. it's a database.

The database won't work without a file system.

sure it can, but that's not the point.

the point is that the user doesn't need to interact with the file
system anymore. there are much *better* ways to do what they want to
do.

users want to access *content*. where that content is does not matter.
it might not even be on their device.

If the content I need is "what to do when the power goes out," I want
it on my device, so I can access it while I still have battery power.

I have a pretty good idea of what to do when the power goes out.
I have the PG&E "Power outage" number in my cell phone directory and
nearby my landline. Along with my 3 UPS setups I also have several
emergency lights available (flashlights, propane lamps, and some other
battery lighting), and if the outage is going to be extended more than
a few hours, I run a check of my portable Honda generator.

Savageduck

Old August 7th 13, 04:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke[_2_]

says...

wrote:

[...]

That works fine for you at home. I think that the procedures at a
nuclear power plant would be a bit more extensive.

Old August 7th 13, 04:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-08-07 07:39:19 -0700, Tony Cooper said:

On Tue, 6 Aug 2013 22:16:06 -0700, Savageduck

On 2013-08-06 21:08:28 -0700, Tony Cooper said:

On Tue, 6 Aug 2013 20:29:09 -0700, Savageduck

On 2013-08-06 19:41:54 -0700, Tony Cooper said:

On Tue, 6 Aug 2013 19:06:15 -0700, Savageduck

On 2013-08-06 18:13:21 -0700, Tony Cooper said:

On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 12:49:57 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 16:50:51 -0400, nospam
wrote:

file systems are old school. they're eventually going away for nearly
all users. system administrators or developers might need to get at
individual files, but typical users do not.

Crap.

You couldn't find your way round my wife's iPad collection of of
photographs unless there was a file system you could follow.
Otherwise, god knows how many thousands of photographs all in one big
heap.

Mine are in albums on my iPad. Is that not a file system?

Exactly! However, some of us here are curious as to when it was you got
yourself an iPad?

Month or so ago. I wanted a way to take photos with me to show some
people. So far, I've never added a - whaddayacallit - an app? or used
for anything else. Rather than let technology lead me by the nose, I
add what I want when I want it.

I did try to take a photograph with it earlier this evening. The
grandsons had wrestling practice, so I tried to take a photo. I found
it doesn't work too well with my finger over the lens. Finally got
one image and went to the car and got my Fuji compact for the rest.

Pop Warner football starts this week, so I'll be back to the Nikon.
They got their practice kit.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ohhve1k3je...3-08-05-01.JPG

You might want to add Dropbox to your iPad. Another useful app for your
desktop and iPad is "Photo Transfer App".
http://www.phototransferapp.com/

Also, as a photographer I suggest you take a look at "Eyewitness" from
the Guardian.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...363993651?mt=8

The Wikipedia App is worth having installed;
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wiki...324715238?mt=8

...and if you want to see just how good streaming video can be on an
iPad, check the Smithsonian Channel app
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/smit...377458454?mt=8

I use a couple of birder's field guides (on iPhone & iPad) which saves
lugging a paper edition around.

Just a few things look at, if they don't interest you, then so be it.

Just not interested, Duck.

I suspected as much. So when you are ready...

So far, the only thing I'm interested in
doing is having a portable way of displaying my images.

I use the Photo Transfer App & Dropbox to move prepared images from my
desktop to my iPad albums for display.

I have a folder on C: that contains files that end up as Albums on my
iPad. I send copies of images I want on my iPad to this folder and
the appropriate file (Album), plug in my iPad, and "Synch" when I'm
ready to update the Albums. This works smoothly for me. No need to
bother with DropBox.

It's certainly not the only way to accomplish the task, but it's a
simple and quick way for me to do it.

Whatever works for you.

I was in a
situation just after I got it when I wanted to shoot some images of
something and the subject was a bit leery of letting me. I brought
out the iPad and showed him some albums of similar shots I'd done. He
let me take the shots and asked me to email him the results.

A great use for the iPad, but not the only one.

Home Depot carries hundreds of different tools. I only buy the tools
from Home Depot that I have some known use for. If some new task
comes up where a new and different tool is required, I'll buy it.

I approach the iPad the same way. nospam, and others, seem to want me
to create new tasks so I have to get new tools to use with the new
tasks in order to be progressive.

Yup! It's just a tool for you to use as you needed. Somewhat like a
Swiss army knife which you only use for the corkscrew.

So far, I've not even tried to use it in a wi-fi hot spot. Haven't
had a reason I wanted to.

I mostly use mine at home with my home Wi-Fi network. However, there
are those hotspots if I need them, and if I am traveling I can either
buy a block of 3G/4G bandwidth for the trip, or wirelessly tether to my
iPhone to share some of that bandwidth I am paying for with my Verizon
phone data plan.

I don't understand that. If you have a desktop at home, why would you
use your iPad instead? You are using a product with a smaller screen
and keyboard instead of your desktop. What's the advantage to that?

I am not always at my desktop, and there are some apps and features
which are more convenient to work on and access via the iPad. Also some
of the apps I find useful are not duplicated on my desktop, or function
better on the iPad. At least that is what works for me.
What I find I am not using much these days is my Mac Power Book Pro.

Savageduck

Old August 7th 13, 04:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

says...

Old August 7th 13, 05:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 07/08/2013 15:39, Tony Cooper wrote:
[]
I don't understand that. If you have a desktop at home, why would you
use your iPad instead? You are using a product with a smaller screen
and keyboard instead of your desktop. What's the advantage to that?

The advantage being that you can take it anywhere in the house.

You might want to (as we did recently) watch Andy Murray in the
Wimbledon final on the iPad at the same time as watching the Formula 1
motor racing on the main TV. Or you might want to do a quick Internet
search - was that actress also in ER? How old is she now? Or check the
weather to decide help determine whether it's going to rain or whether
lunch outdoors is OK. Or read a little more of that book you
downloaded, or the latest Raspberry Pi magazine, or listen to some music
or the latest podcast.

All could be done on a PC, /if/ you are in the same room as the PC. The
iPad is more convenient for these than a laptop. Creative activities I
agree you may find easier on a PC.
--
Cheers,
David