How do I delete photographs from an iPad?

Old October 30th 12, 06:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default How do I delete photographs from an iPad?

On 2012-10-30 11:08:12 -0700, David Taylor
said:

On 30/10/2012 15:26, Savageduck wrote:
[]
To "Delete" individual, or groups of image files from my iPad or iPhone,
I open the "Camera Roll", touch the "action" button (the one with the
arrow sweeping to the right, and found in the upper right corner) select
the files I want to delete by touching each one, and having that
confirmed by seeing the blue check mark on the thumbnail. Then I have
the option of deleting those files, all quite simple.
Perhaps, not efficient when trying to manage/delete 100's, or 1000's or
image files as one might when using a desktop or laptop computer, but
simple enough.

Not a matter of simplicity, it's usability. Touching each photo is
fine if you have a small number to delete, but I take a hundred photos
a day or more when on holiday, and I don't expect to have to touch a
thousand images or more at the end of the trip. A select all option,
or the ability to delete a day at a time is an obvious requirement
which Apple have missed.

Crazy!

What is crazy is taking a hundred photos a day with an iPad or iPhone.
For that I use my D300S and/or G11.
I transfer D300S and G11 shots back to the iPad to place in albums for
side shows and other sharing. My primary backup storage is my 500GB
Colorspace UDMA not my 64GB iPad or 32GB iPhone.
I remove images from the iPad as needed, I concede that a delete all
option would be useful.

Savageduck

Old October 30th 12, 06:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-10-30 11:08:12 -0700, David Taylor
said:

[...]

What I meant to say was my primary back up storage when on the road is
my 500GB UDMA (which I upgraded myself from 250GB to 500GB for $89).
http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-...-UDMA-s/64.htm

Savageduck

Old October 30th 12, 07:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 30/10/2012 18:25, nospam wrote:
In article , Alfred
Molon wrote:

What do I do?

No idea, but I'm glad I didn't buy Apple devices. At least with Android,
once you connect it via USB, it becomes a mass storage device, allowing
you to do whatever you want efficiently.

as i said before, if you plug the ipad into a computer, it shows up as
a standard digital camera and then you can copy and delete photos as
you would with any other device, using whatever software you prefer.

why is everyone making this far more complex than it needs to be?

It's not complex, it's just a pain to have to tap 1000 photos
individually when using an iPad alone. No computer....
--
Cheers,
David
Old October 30th 12, 07:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 30/10/2012 18:25, nospam wrote:
[]
aren't you going to want to copy the photos to your computer?

Not necessarily, no. I may be using my iPad as an in-the-field backup
storage device, reading from the camera's SD card.

after you copy the photos and with the ipad still connected, select all
and delete. in fact, some software can be configured to delete the
photos automatically when you copy photos, so there's nothing
additional to do.

I didn't take a second computer with me - hand luggage only, so the iPad
was /all/ I had. It is functionally lacking you have to admit, when it
needs a thousand taps to delete a week's photos.
--
Cheers,
David
Old October 30th 12, 07:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 30/10/2012 18:35, Savageduck wrote:
[]
What is crazy is taking a hundred photos a day with an iPad or iPhone.
For that I use my D300S and/or G11.
I transfer D300S and G11 shots back to the iPad to place in albums for
side shows and other sharing. My primary backup storage is my 500GB
Colorspace UDMA not my 64GB iPad or 32GB iPhone.
I remove images from the iPad as needed, I concede that a delete all
option would be useful.

Yes, a delete option would indeed be useful.

The hundreds of photos are coming from various other cameras, with the
iPad being used both for backup storage and display. You might also
load pictures /onto/ the iPad to have albums to show to others.
--
Cheers,
David
Old October 30th 12, 08:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , David Taylor
wrote:

aren't you going to want to copy the photos to your computer?

Not necessarily, no. I may be using my iPad as an in-the-field backup
storage device, reading from the camera's SD card.

after you copy the photos and with the ipad still connected, select all
and delete. in fact, some software can be configured to delete the
photos automatically when you copy photos, so there's nothing
additional to do.

I didn't take a second computer with me - hand luggage only, so the iPad
was /all/ I had. It is functionally lacking you have to admit, when it
needs a thousand taps to delete a week's photos.

delete them when you get home. since they're your backup, why would you
want to delete them in the field?

sure it would be nice to have a select all, but it's also a piece of
cake to delete them from a computer. in fact, it's even easier to
delete them on a windows pc than on a mac.
Old October 30th 12, 08:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-10-30 12:36:01 -0700, David Taylor
said:

On 30/10/2012 18:35, Savageduck wrote:
[]
What is crazy is taking a hundred photos a day with an iPad or iPhone.
For that I use my D300S and/or G11.
I transfer D300S and G11 shots back to the iPad to place in albums for
side shows and other sharing. My primary backup storage is my 500GB
Colorspace UDMA not my 64GB iPad or 32GB iPhone.
I remove images from the iPad as needed, I concede that a delete all
option would be useful.

Yes, a delete option would indeed be useful.

You do mean a "Delete All" option don't you? ;-)

The hundreds of photos are coming from various other cameras, with the
iPad being used both for backup storage and display.

That is tough to do if you are filling 16 & 32GB cards to the limited
space on a 64GB iPad. If your iPad is of lower capacity, even more so.

My 64GB iPad currently has 25GB taken up with Apps and data related to
those Apps. That is mainly stuff such as maps and Evernote documents.
Then I have 3GB of audio files & 4.7GB of video files, and 0.10GB of
PDF manuals and other books, along with 2.8GB of "Other" for a total of
35.6GB. Since the 64GB iPad has a total available space of 58GB after
basic format and iOS is accounted for leaving me with 22.4GB for image
files, and as I said I am shooting RAW onto 16 & 32GB CF cards, that
makes the iPad a not particularly roomy in the field backup.
As I said my primary, "on the road" backup storage is a Colorspace
UDMA. That becomes part of my triple redundant travel backup protocol;
CF card-- UDMA--Laptop-- outboard FW OWC HD.
http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-...-UDMA-s/64.htm
....and then I also use a 1TB PogoPlug device and DropBox for cloud
storage. I don't use iCloud.

You might also load pictures /onto/ the iPad to have albums to show to others.

....and that is exactly what I do. I use the Photo Transfer App to move
processed and resized images wirelessly to iPad albums to use as a
portfolio.
http://www.phototransferapp.com/

Savageduck

Old October 30th 12, 08:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 30/10/2012 20:08, nospam wrote:
[]
delete them when you get home. since they're your backup, why would you
want to delete them in the field?

There may be all sorts of reasons to want to delete them in the field.
The iPad should be capable of that without making the user jump through
the hoop of touching each and every photo.

sure it would be nice to have a select all, but it's also a piece of
cake to delete them from a computer. in fact, it's even easier to
delete them on a windows pc than on a mac.

It's still more complicated than it need be even when you have a
computer. Having folder names in hexadecimal is not friendly!

The fact of the matter is that the iPad lacks a function which many
people would expect it to have, and saying that someone doesn't need
that function or that they could do it if they have a computer is just
making excuses for this omission.
--
Cheers,
David
Old October 30th 12, 08:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-10-30 12:36:01 -0700, David Taylor
said:

[...]

BTW: I currently have 460 processed and resized image files in 24
albums, taking up 0.2GB of space, plenty good for my portfolio purpose,
and easily controllable. Not particularly great as a primary in field
backup where 2 x 16GB cards would stress the iPad to its limit.

Among those albums and images in both my iPhone & iPad, I keep a backup
of my travel documents in an album; passport, drivers license, medical
insurance card, auto insurance & Law Enforcement ID.

Savageduck

Old October 30th 12, 08:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , David Taylor
wrote:

sure it would be nice to have a select all, but it's also a piece of
cake to delete them from a computer. in fact, it's even easier to
delete them on a windows pc than on a mac.

It's still more complicated than it need be even when you have a
computer. Having folder names in hexadecimal is not friendly!

copy the lot and sort it out in lightroom.

the names of the photos or the folders are irrelevant. what matters is
the tags within the photos, namely the exif data.

The fact of the matter is that the iPad lacks a function which many
people would expect it to have, and saying that someone doesn't need
that function or that they could do it if they have a computer is just
making excuses for this omission.

i said it would be nice to have a select all, but the lack of it is not
as big of a deal as it's made out to be.

if you are going to be saving photos in the field, get a device
designed for that purpose. the ipad isn't that device.