Why don't camera reviews cover the data connection to the PC?

Old December 25th 08, 08:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pat Cheney

Default Why don't camera reviews cover the data connection to the PC?

I'm sad because I read the camera reviews and now that I've opened the
gift, I found out the Casio EXILIM camera uses a proprietary USB cable!

The reviews failed me.

I only found out when I tried to pull some pictures out that all my mini
usb and micro usb cables are useless on this Casio camera.

What good are the camera reviews if they miss totally something that is as
important as a totally non-standard data interface to the computer???????

I'll never trust dp review ever again. I'm livid at how stupid the camera
reviewers are when they can't even tell me that a cable is proprietary.

Not one camera review caught this. Idiots all. I'm so angry at them.
Old December 25th 08, 09:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Pat Cheney" wrote in message
I'm sad because I read the camera reviews and now that I've opened the
gift, I found out the Casio EXILIM camera uses a proprietary USB cable!

The reviews failed me.

I only found out when I tried to pull some pictures out that all my mini
usb and micro usb cables are useless on this Casio camera.

What good are the camera reviews if they miss totally something that is as
important as a totally non-standard data interface to the computer???????

I'll never trust dp review ever again. I'm livid at how stupid the camera
reviewers are when they can't even tell me that a cable is proprietary.

Not one camera review caught this. Idiots all. I'm so angry at them.

I brought the Nikon D90 the other day and found that I can only use Nikons
own software to transfer RAW data from the camera to the pc when using a usb
cable. The alternative is to carry a card reader and keep taking the card
out of the camera, hence increasing risk of damage to the camera contacts
and door and the card itself. I probably would have just stayed with my D80,
had I known. When I brought a CANON G9 I discovered that it had no
remote shutter realease, and I would not have brought the camer had I known
this. Knowledge of these shortcomings is important to me and many other
people but I think that the people that wite the reviews deliberately omit
them for reasons of their own.

Old December 25th 08, 09:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob Williams

Pat Cheney wrote:
I'm sad because I read the camera reviews and now that I've opened the
gift, I found out the Casio EXILIM camera uses a proprietary USB cable!

The reviews failed me.

I only found out when I tried to pull some pictures out that all my mini
usb and micro usb cables are useless on this Casio camera.

What good are the camera reviews if they miss totally something that is as
important as a totally non-standard data interface to the computer???????

I'll never trust dp review ever again. I'm livid at how stupid the camera
reviewers are when they can't even tell me that a cable is proprietary.

Not one camera review caught this. Idiots all. I'm so angry at them.

Don't get too upset about it.
Most camera users don't even use the Camera-to-Computer cable anyway.
If your computer is of fairly recent vintage you may already have a
built-in card reader....Insert card in proper slot....Bingo!...Your pics
are ready to view and download. No Fuss....No Muss....Simple as Pie.
If you do not have a built-in Card Reader you can purchase one for a
pittance and simply plug it into an open USB Port.
I deal a lot with Newegg. Great selection and excellent prices.
See for instance:
Bob Williams

Old December 25th 08, 10:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
AnotherD@rnedSock

Pat Cheney wrote:
I'm sad because I read the camera reviews and now that I've opened the
gift, I found out the Casio EXILIM camera uses a proprietary USB cable!

The reviews failed me.

No, your parents failed you, stupidity is hereditary.

I only found out when I tried to pull some pictures out that all my mini
usb and micro usb cables are useless on this Casio camera.

Somehow I feel that you and the word "useless" have a long association.

What good are the camera reviews if they miss totally something that is as
important as a totally non-standard data interface to the computer???????

I'll never trust dp review ever again. I'm livid at how stupid the camera
reviewers are when they can't even tell me that a cable is proprietary.

Not one camera review caught this. Idiots all. I'm so angry at them.

You forgot to type "Boo Hoo..." How can anyone take your whiny little post
seriously if you don't add Boo Hoo and throw in a couple of "Woe is me"s.

Of course you are right, technology retailers are so out of touch, why just
the other day I bought a Blue ray disk then discovered that they expected
me to buy a Blue Ray player. Why couldn't they make it work on my VCR?

Restaurants are just as bad. Last week I went into a Seafood restaurant and
they refused to sell me some new blades for my lawn mower. And the grass
really needed cutting. I was so ****ed. Not ****ed at them, just ****ed - I
had way too much to drink.

BTW, You are a lying sack of **** with a petty little agenda. DPreview has
not done a review on any of the current range of Casio Exilim cameras. They
have however published some user comments on the camera.

Socky

Old December 25th 08, 12:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

Pat Cheney wrote:
I'm sad because I read the camera reviews and now that I've opened the
gift, I found out the Casio EXILIM camera uses a proprietary USB cable!

The reviews failed me.

I only found out when I tried to pull some pictures out that all my mini
usb and micro usb cables are useless on this Casio camera.

What good are the camera reviews if they miss totally something that is as
important as a totally non-standard data interface to the computer???????

I'll never trust dp review ever again. I'm livid at how stupid the camera
reviewers are when they can't even tell me that a cable is proprietary.

But they didn't say that the cable was standard. So they didn't tell
you any lies. You simply assumed that something they were silent about
would be like you hoped it would be. And since you've already got lots
of different USB cables you knew this was a likely problem area.

Not one camera review caught this. Idiots all. I'm so angry at them.

This must be only the latest of an endless list of situations where
people you didn't ask and don't know failed to tell you something that
would have stopped you doing something stupid. I don't know how you
can bear it.

Has it ever occurred to you that there might be a conspiracy of
people deliberately planning to make you look stupid?

--
Chris Malcolm

Old December 25th 08, 12:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

wrote:

"Pat Cheney" wrote in message
[...]

They do. They're deliberately trying to make you look stupid. And it's
not just camera reviewers either. You think that's unlikely? Just
pause for a moment and think about how much such a conspiracy would
explain.

--
Chris Malcolm

Old December 25th 08, 02:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 23:24:15 -0800, Pat Cheney
wrote:

I'm sad because I read the camera reviews and now that I've opened the
gift, I found out the Casio EXILIM camera uses a proprietary USB cable!

The reviews failed me.

I only found out when I tried to pull some pictures out that all my mini
usb and micro usb cables are useless on this Casio camera.

What good are the camera reviews if they miss totally something that is as
important as a totally non-standard data interface to the computer???????

I'll never trust dp review ever again. I'm livid at how stupid the camera
reviewers are when they can't even tell me that a cable is proprietary.

I take it from the above statement that the camera did come with
a USB cable. So what is wrong with using their supplied propriety
USB cable? You are using their supplied propriety battery aren't you?

Not one camera review caught this. Idiots all. I'm so angry at them.

Old December 25th 08, 04:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

Pat Cheney wrote:

Not one camera review caught this. Idiots all. I'm so angry at them.

That's something that would be nice for them to include in the database
of features, but that you should have checked yourself first.

It's like when you buy a car, the manufacturer doesn't list every
feature or characteristic, yet some are very important to owners, but
unless you check the owners manual or the actual vehicle you'll never
know whether or not the vehicle is acceptable to you.

Old December 25th 08, 05:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
mcdonaldREMOVE TO ACTUALLY REACH [email protected]

Bob Williams wrote:

Don't get too upset about it.
Most camera users don't even use the Camera-to-Computer cable anyway.
If your computer is of fairly recent vintage you may already have a
built-in card reader....Insert card in proper slot....Bingo!...Your pics
are ready to view and download. No Fuss....No Muss....Simple as Pie.

It's not as simple as connecting the camera to the computer. AND ...
you have to take the card out, which, as the OP said, could damage contacts.

I admit, I use the Canon software and a USB cable.

Doug McDonald
Old December 25th 08, 05:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"SMS" wrote in message
Pat Cheney wrote:

Not one camera review caught this. Idiots all. I'm so angry at them.

That's something that would be nice for them to include in the database of
features, but that you should have checked yourself first.

It's like when you buy a car, the manufacturer doesn't list every feature
or characteristic, yet some are very important to owners, but unless you
check the owners manual or the actual vehicle you'll never know whether or
not the vehicle is acceptable to you.

Yes but making it impossible to download the Nikon RAW files without Nikon
software is a petty sneaky thing to do in order to make a few more people
use Nikon software. Its a hassle to have to carry a card reader with me in
my rucksack but now I have no choice. I think trivial things like this need
to get negative vocal responses from camera uses otherwise the next thing
that companies like Nikon will do is encrypt data on the SD card so that
even a card reader won't work. If car manufacturers do this sort of thing
then they too need some negative publicity.