Camera Card Reader

Old December 22nd 08, 01:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rodan

Default Camera Card Reader

December 21, 2008 SD Card Reader

Olympus no longer supports my C-2100 camera, bought
in 2001, so I can not download pictures from the camera
to my new ( Vista OS) computer.

If I buy a card reader, can I take the 32MB card from my
camera and put it in the card reader connected to a USB
port and download the pictures, or is there some special
formatting on the card that will prevent this?

Thanks for any information.

Rodan.
Old December 22nd 08, 02:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Navas[_2_]

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 01:41:42 GMT, "Rodan" wrote in
:

Olympus no longer supports my C-2100 camera, bought
in 2001, so I can not download pictures from the camera
to my new ( Vista OS) computer.

If I buy a card reader, can I take the 32MB card from my
camera and put it in the card reader connected to a USB
port and download the pictures,

Yes.

or is there some special
formatting on the card that will prevent this?

No.
--
Best regards,
John
Old December 22nd 08, 02:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Rodan wrote:
December 21, 2008 SD Card Reader

Olympus no longer supports my C-2100 camera, bought
in 2001, so I can not download pictures from the camera
to my new ( Vista OS) computer.

If I buy a card reader, can I take the 32MB card from my
camera and put it in the card reader connected to a USB
port and download the pictures, or is there some special
formatting on the card that will prevent this?

Thanks for any information.

Rodan.

You can read the card via a card reader. In fact, you should be able to
download the pictures from the camera through the USB port of a Vista OS
computer. Have you tried?
Old December 22nd 08, 03:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 20:28:30 -0600, Ron Hunter
wrote:

Rodan wrote:
December 21, 2008 SD Card Reader

Olympus no longer supports my C-2100 camera, bought
in 2001, so I can not download pictures from the camera
to my new ( Vista OS) computer.

If I buy a card reader, can I take the 32MB card from my
camera and put it in the card reader connected to a USB
port and download the pictures, or is there some special
formatting on the card that will prevent this?

Thanks for any information.

Rodan.

You can read the card via a card reader. In fact, you should be able to
download the pictures from the camera through the USB port of a Vista OS
computer. Have you tried?

The card reader does not recognize the camera. It recognizes a file.
As long as the file type is a file type that the computer recognizes,
it will copy the file to the computer. The file may contain
information about the camera that took the image, but that just goes
along with the file.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old December 22nd 08, 03:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 01:41:42 GMT, Rodan wrote:

Olympus no longer supports my C-2100 camera, bought
in 2001, so I can not download pictures from the camera
to my new ( Vista OS) computer.

Unless your C-2100's hardware is radically different, it should
for the most part work with Olympus's current software, which is
probably a free download. Last time I checked, my current Fuji,
Canon and Nikon software worked with all of my old cameras, the
oldest one being a Canon Powershot that also goes back to 2001.
What Olympus may have meant is that the software that came with your
C-2100 is not compatible with Vista, but any of their Vista
compatible software is probably compatible with your C-2100. And not
only compatible with their own cameras, they also transfer files
from their competitor's cameras. The only thing that newer software
from Olympus *might* not be able to do would be any custom, hardware
related functions. One example is that when my old Powershot was
connected to the computer (either via USB or a serial port), I could
use the computer to register my name inside the camera, and this
name would then appear in the EXIF data of the pictures it took.
Even if I lost this ability in a newer version of Canon's software
it wouldn't be worth worrying about. Actually, I rarely use any of
this software as I prefer transferring files from the camera to the
computer by using a card reader.

If I buy a card reader, can I take the 32MB card from my
camera and put it in the card reader connected to a USB
port and download the pictures, or is there some special
formatting on the card that will prevent this?

Probably, just make sure that the type of card you use is listed
as one supported by the card reader. This is usually printed on the
card reader's packaging, and it's extremely unlikely that your old
32MB card isn't supported by any card reader you come across. All
of the incompatibilities I've ever seen have been with newer cards
that the card reader manufacturers didn't have time to support. But
within months, new versions of the card readers add support for the
new cards. And speaking of formatting, just be careful to format
your cards *only* in the camera. If you let the computer format the
card while it's in the card reader you risk creating a card that
won't be recognized by your camera.

That 32MB card, by the way, is amazingly small by today's
standards. Back in 2001 a slightly larger card could easily cost
more than $100. Today you can get some 1GB cards for $10, but I'm
sure that they'd be so large as to be incompatible with your camera.

Old December 22nd 08, 04:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

Ron Hunter wrote:
You can read the card via a card reader. In fact, you should be able to
download the pictures from the camera through the USB port of a Vista OS
computer. Have you tried?

Maybe. It will work if the camera is operated in "mass storage device"
mode, i.e. basically telling the computer, it is a flash memory device.

If the camera is switched to "I am a camera and will talk only to the
proprietary software that came with me" then you are kind of out of
luck.

Many (most? all?) cameras can be switched from one mode to the other.

jue
Old December 22nd 08, 04:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

tony cooper wrote:
The card reader does not recognize the camera.

It doesn't care about the camera, right.

It recognizes a file.

Ahhh, no. A card reader physically recognizes the memory card and
presents it to the computer as if it were a harddrive, i.e. on the level
of tracks, sectors, and blocks. It has no concept of files, those are
WAY above the level of what a card reader understands.

As long as the file type is a file type that the computer recognizes,
it will copy the file to the computer.

No. The computer must understand the file system that is used on that
card. Then it will happily copy any file from or to that card, no matter
if the computer recognizes the file type or not.

jue
Old December 22nd 08, 07:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_7_]

Rodan wrote:
December 21, 2008 SD Card Reader

Olympus no longer supports my C-2100 camera, bought
in 2001, so I can not download pictures from the camera
to my new ( Vista OS) computer.

If I buy a card reader, can I take the 32MB card from my
camera and put it in the card reader connected to a USB
port and download the pictures, or is there some special
formatting on the card that will prevent this?

Thanks for any information.

Rodan.

Your new computer may have a card-reader built in. Many do. If not, what
you propose should work, but make sure that "SmartMedia" cards are
supported - it's quite an old standard now.

Cheers,
David

Old December 22nd 08, 10:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Ellwood

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 01:41:42 +0000, Rodan wrote:

December 21, 2008 SD Card Reader

Olympus no longer supports my C-2100 camera, bought in 2001, so I can
not download pictures from the camera to my new ( Vista OS) computer.

If I buy a card reader, can I take the 32MB card from my camera and put
it in the card reader connected to a USB port and download the pictures,
or is there some special formatting on the card that will prevent this?

Thanks for any information.

Rodan.

As it is a new comp. hasn't it got a card reader built in?

--
Neil
reverse ra and delete l
Old December 22nd 08, 03:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Don Stauffer

Rodan wrote:
December 21, 2008 SD Card Reader

Olympus no longer supports my C-2100 camera, bought
in 2001, so I can not download pictures from the camera
to my new ( Vista OS) computer.

If I buy a card reader, can I take the 32MB card from my
camera and put it in the card reader connected to a USB
port and download the pictures, or is there some special
formatting on the card that will prevent this?

Thanks for any information.

Rodan.

Is that one of the cameras that used SM cards? I have one that is
unusable because the cards are so hard to get.

If you shop for a card reader, make sure it is one that can READ SM, if
that is the card it uses.

My old Oly eats cards when batteries get low, which is why I need a
source of cards for it. Have better, newer cameras now anyway. I'd sell
it on eBay, but purchaser would have same problem :-(