Apple gives a new meaning to solid state.

Old October 26th 13, 12:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Apple gives a new meaning to solid state.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10...013_teardowns/

Eric Stevens
Old October 26th 13, 01:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10...013_teardowns/

more of the usual hypocritical bull****.

how many people repair their own laptops? not very many.

their claim that soldering components makes them more likely to break
is also nonsense.

soldering makes something *more* reliable than having sockets. many
times it's the socket that fails, not the parts or board, so by
eliminating the socket, you remove a point of failure.

they bitch about the headphone jack being soldered to the logicboard,
completely neglecting to mention that just about every radio, mp3
player and many other devices have headphone jacks soldered to the main
board and they rarely break. it's a non-issue.

another issue they mention is soldered memory, but that not unique to
apple. windows ultrabooks do exactly the same thing and most people
don't upgrade their memory after the fact anyway, so this too is a
non-issue.

they complain about the pentalobe screws, yet the appropriate tool is
easily available for a few bucks. more of the same.

but the biggest problem with that article is what it *doesn't* mention,
and that is that microsoft's own surface tablets are just as difficult
to repair, if not more so. there's a *very* high likelihood that you
will break clips or ribbon cables, leaving you with a bunch of
inoperable parts.
Old October 26th 13, 01:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 10/25/2013 8:09 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

I don't know about 'most people,' but I paid Lenovo for 4 gig of memory,
and bought 16 from Crucial, for much less than half the price Lenovo
wanted to charge. The replacement took less than 15 minutes. I had the
chance to see if I really needed the memory before I bought it, and
saved money in the process.

--
PeterN
Old October 26th 13, 01:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2013.10.25, 20:35 , PeterN wrote:

I don't know about 'most people,' but I paid Lenovo for 4 gig of memory,
and bought 16 from Crucial, for much less than half the price Lenovo
wanted to charge. The replacement took less than 15 minutes. I had the
chance to see if I really needed the memory before I bought it, and
saved money in the process.

I recently bought a new iMac with the minimum memory (8 GB).

I bought another 16 GB from Crucial at a lower price than Apple charged
for 8 more.

Stuffing it into the iMac took about 3 minutes from shutdown to startup.

24 GB means never having to write to swap (esp. with the new OS 10.9
"Mavericks" as it appears Apple have done major improvements to memory
management).

--
"Quotation, n: The act of repeating erroneously the words of another."
-Ambrose Bierce
Old October 26th 13, 02:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 10/25/2013 8:41 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2013.10.25, 20:35 , PeterN wrote:

I don't know about 'most people,' but I paid Lenovo for 4 gig of memory,
and bought 16 from Crucial, for much less than half the price Lenovo
wanted to charge. The replacement took less than 15 minutes. I had the
chance to see if I really needed the memory before I bought it, and
saved money in the process.

I recently bought a new iMac with the minimum memory (8 GB).

I bought another 16 GB from Crucial at a lower price than Apple charged
for 8 more.

Stuffing it into the iMac took about 3 minutes from shutdown to startup.

24 GB means never having to write to swap (esp. with the new OS 10.9
"Mavericks" as it appears Apple have done major improvements to memory
management).

My laptop won't support more than 16. There is only one

--
PeterN
Old October 26th 13, 01:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

I don't know about 'most people,' but I paid Lenovo for 4 gig of memory,
and bought 16 from Crucial, for much less than half the price Lenovo
wanted to charge. The replacement took less than 15 minutes. I had the
chance to see if I really needed the memory before I bought it, and
saved money in the process.

most people wouldn't know where to start to add their own memory. not
everyone is a geek.

now you decide at the time of purchase instead of later, and apple's
prices aren't all that outrageous, assuming you compare the same type
of memory.

for instance, apple charges $100 more for 8 gig versus 4 gig on the 13"
macbook pro retina.

newegg has the same spec memory for $77. other sellers are a little
higher.

$20 to have it preinstalled and not need to deal with figuring out
which chip to get, along with having everything warranted by one
company so there isn't any question about what caused any problem that
might occur, is well worth it.
Old October 26th 13, 02:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 10/25/2013 8:59 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

[...]

You don't have to be a geek to install memory. But you are probably
right in this case. IIRC Lenovo wanted $240 more for 16gig. I paid under
$100. I do admit, that I got a deal on it, as I found a place that was
going out of business. Otherwise it owuld have cost me $160, from
Crucial. Still a savings.

--
PeterN
Old October 26th 13, 03:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

You don't have to be a geek to install memory.

depends what you call a geek. most people aren't interested in opening
up the computer to install parts, even if it's easy.

you don't need to be an auto mechanic to change a flat tire but most
people don't want to deal with that either.

But you are probably
right in this case. IIRC Lenovo wanted $240 more for 16gig. I paid under
$100. I do admit, that I got a deal on it, as I found a place that was
going out of business. Otherwise it owuld have cost me $160, from
Crucial. Still a savings.

apple currently charges $200 for 16 gig ddr3 1600 memory.

that's *less* than lenovo charges, presumably for the same spec memory.
it'd be much worse if lenovo charges more for lower spec memory.

so much for apple being more expensive.

$40 to have the memory preinstalled and fully warranted by one company
is well worth it to many people. no hassles and it just works. if
anything goes wrong, it will be fixed, without anyone blaming it on
faulty third party memory.
Old October 26th 13, 03:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2013.10.25, 20:59 , nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

I don't know about 'most people,' but I paid Lenovo for 4 gig of memory,
and bought 16 from Crucial, for much less than half the price Lenovo
wanted to charge. The replacement took less than 15 minutes. I had the
chance to see if I really needed the memory before I bought it, and
saved money in the process.

most people wouldn't know where to start to add their own memory. not
everyone is a geek.

now you decide at the time of purchase instead of later, and apple's
prices aren't all that outrageous, assuming you compare the same type
of memory.

Horse**** as usual. If you need more memory, sites like Crucial guide
the non-geek right to the correct part. Even geekish me relies on them
to be absolutely sure I don't order the wrong part as it's easy enough
to do.

For example on the i7 iMac, selecting the wrong clock timings for a 1600
MHz DDR3 will cause the memory to run at 1033 or 1333 MHz. At that, the
correct timing numbers are counter intuitive.

Old October 26th 13, 04:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Alan Browne
wrote:

I don't know about 'most people,' but I paid Lenovo for 4 gig of memory,
and bought 16 from Crucial, for much less than half the price Lenovo
wanted to charge. The replacement took less than 15 minutes. I had the
chance to see if I really needed the memory before I bought it, and
saved money in the process.

most people wouldn't know where to start to add their own memory. not
everyone is a geek.

now you decide at the time of purchase instead of later, and apple's
prices aren't all that outrageous, assuming you compare the same type
of memory.

Horse**** as usual. If you need more memory, sites like Crucial guide
the non-geek right to the correct part. Even geekish me relies on them
to be absolutely sure I don't order the wrong part as it's easy enough
to do.

non-geeks don't even know where to start looking for memory.

For example on the i7 iMac, selecting the wrong clock timings for a 1600
MHz DDR3 will cause the memory to run at 1033 or 1333 MHz. At that, the
correct timing numbers are counter intuitive.

all the more reason a non-geek doesn't want to bother.