Pinhole shots of the Civil War (re-enactments)

Old January 27th 13, 06:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Default Pinhole shots of the Civil War (re-enactments)

http://civilwar150pinholeproject.com/

A writeup by the photographer on his pinhole cameras and his quest to
document civil war re-enactments.

One of my favourites:
http://civilwar150pinholeproject.fil...tysburg149.jpg

I don't feel like shooting film for such, but I might use a lens adaptor
and shoot some digital pinholes... the very long exposures may be quite
noise prone, however...

http://civilwar150pinholeproject.com/pinhole-cameras/

The pinholes’ soft focus image captures the essence of the
subject without the distractions of detail. This encourages
the viewer to look more deeply, filling out the blurred
information with their own memories and experiences, making
the viewer a participant in each image he or she encounters.

"There were, unfortunately, no great principles on which parties
were divided – politics became a mere struggle for office."
-Sir John A. Macdonald

Old January 27th 13, 06:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_3_]

On 1/27/2013 12:03 PM, Alan Browne wrote:

http://civilwar150pinholeproject.com/

A writeup by the photographer on his pinhole cameras and his quest to
document civil war re-enactments.

One of my favourites:
http://civilwar150pinholeproject.fil...tysburg149.jpg

I don't feel like shooting film for such, but I might use a lens adaptor
and shoot some digital pinholes... the very long exposures may be quite
noise prone, however...

http://civilwar150pinholeproject.com/pinhole-cameras/

The pinholes’ soft focus image captures the essence of the
subject without the distractions of detail. This encourages
the viewer to look more deeply, filling out the blurred
information with their own memories and experiences, making
the viewer a participant in each image he or she encounters.

Now there's a guy who found what he likes, and does it well.
While I agree that pinhole is not for everybody, it certainly produces
some neat effects.

--
PeterN
Old January 28th 13, 05:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
philo [_4_]

On 01/27/2013 11:03 AM, Alan Browne wrote:

http://civilwar150pinholeproject.com/

A writeup by the photographer on his pinhole cameras and his quest to
document civil war re-enactments.

One of my favourites:
http://civilwar150pinholeproject.fil...tysburg149.jpg

Excellent!

https://www.createspace.com/3707686
Old January 29th 13, 12:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Rob

On 29/01/2013 4:10 AM, RichA wrote:

One of my favourites:http://civilwar150pinholeproject.fil...12/12/gettysbu...

I don't feel like shooting film for such, but I might use a lens adaptor
and shoot some digital pinholes... the very long exposures may be quite
noise prone, however...

http://civilwar150pinholeproject.com/pinhole-cameras/

The pinholes’ soft focus image captures the essence of the
subject without the distractions of detail. This encourages
the viewer to look more deeply, filling out the blurred
information with their own memories and experiences, making
the viewer a participant in each image he or she encounters.

"There were, unfortunately, no great principles on which parties
were divided – politics became a mere struggle for office."
-Sir John A. Macdonald

Pinhole shots from small formats look pretty dismal. 35mm film,
sensors don't do pinholes "justice." 4x5 looks a lot better.

I made a pinhole camera with large format. Normal view which had more
distance between the pinhole and the film plane. and a wide angle
shorter distance. Used cake tins. For the film, was using photographic
paper, processing them, then making a contact print back onto another
sheet of paper for a positive. The results were quite remarkable, cheap
to run.

Another one was made from a 35mm cassette canister wrapped film inside
hence a panoramic image. This could be used underwater as well. All good
stuff. Just filled my pockets with loaded canisters and when on a shoot,

Nik Silver efex software has pinhole filters how do these compare - has
anyone tried?
Old January 29th 13, 01:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_3_]

wrote:
[...]

Thanks. You just gave me an idea. I have a pinhole for my Lensbaby.
Perhaps that will be a use for it.

--
PeterN
Old January 29th 13, 04:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Trevor[_2_]

"PeterN" wrote in message
[...]

I don't see anything there that couldn't be done more easily in PS from a
normal digital image/s. But I do support the artists right to make his own
choices however.

Trevor.

Old January 29th 13, 11:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
bugbear

Alan Browne wrote:

http://civilwar150pinholeproject.com/

A writeup by the photographer on his pinhole cameras and his quest to document civil war re-enactments.

One of my favourites:
http://civilwar150pinholeproject.fil...tysburg149.jpg

I don't feel like shooting film for such, but I might use a lens adaptor and shoot some digital pinholes... the very long exposures may be quite noise prone, however...

Just take multiple exposures at a duration where noise isn't an issue,
and merge (average) them.

It's what astrophotographers do all the time.

BugBear
Old January 29th 13, 02:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Rob

On 28/01/2013 4:03 AM, Alan Browne wrote:

I don't feel like shooting film for such, but I might use a lens adaptor
and shoot some digital pinholes... the very long exposures may be quite
noise prone, however...

Just noticed this item after reading the exposure problem.

You can use a body cap and make a pinhole through that, if that is too
close then use an extension tube. Drill a hole through the cap and
stick some aluminium tape and make a pin prick through it. I usually use
a thick sewing (darning) needle.
Old January 29th 13, 02:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Rob

On 29/01/2013 9:26 PM, bugbear wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

http://civilwar150pinholeproject.com/

A writeup by the photographer on his pinhole cameras and his quest to
document civil war re-enactments.

One of my favourites:
http://civilwar150pinholeproject.fil...tysburg149.jpg

I don't feel like shooting film for such, but I might use a lens
adaptor and shoot some digital pinholes... the very long exposures may
be quite noise prone, however...

Just take multiple exposures at a duration where noise isn't an issue,
and merge (average) them.

It's what astrophotographers do all the time.

BugBear

Would taking multiple exposures work in this situation - pinhole shots
do give a soft image. An example, a busy crowded building long exposure
gives a soft movement within the people and sharp edges of walls and
corners. Astro shots - individual shots render a sharp star trail.

May have to try and see what happens.

Interesting - digital is a whole new ball game as compared to film,
long and short exposures don't seem to have that reciprocity failure to
cope with.

Old January 29th 13, 03:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
bugbear

Alan Browne wrote:

[...]

Consider 6 x 10 second exposure versus a single 60 second exposure. Apart from
the tiny gaps between the 6 separate shots, once you've added them up (literally...) you've done
something VERY similar to the 60 second exposure.

Instead of accumulating (adding!) photons on a CCD site, you've done
the adding in a computer.

BugBear