Let's talk tripods

Old February 24th 09, 02:20 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Craig Schroeder

Default Let's talk tripods

A friend has one of these and uses it for equipment such as yours and
perhaps a bit more challenging. He is very happy with it and I
believe he spent roughly what you are considering.

http://www.tiffen.com/userimages/D&S...LiteX10_ss.pdf

http://tinyurl.com/cvtms2

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 11:29:37 -0800, Beefy LaSleep
wrote:

Having an older (and heavier) Manfrotto which does get to be a chore
when treking it on nature shoots, I have thought about selling it off
and looking for carbon fiber in the affordable range. That is to say
$400+ for a pod is out of the question now, and I see some close to
$200, including at least one Manfrotto/Bogen. Thoughts on stability of
these lower priced CFs? My equipment is strictly 35mm with small to
moderate lenses, nothing huge, no medium format. Legs only, btw, I'm
planning on keeping the Manfrotto ball head I have.....

Craig Schroeder
craig nospam craigschroeder com
Old February 24th 09, 05:24 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Drew Saunders

Default |AX| Let's talk tripods

In article ,
Paul Furman wrote:

Are you sure you can get carbon fiber for $200?

http://reallybigcameras.com/Feisol/Tripods

OK, $209 is their cheapest CF tripod, not $200.

I've not bought from Kerry T., but he's been an active member of the
large format community for many years and others on the lf.info
(http://www.largeformatphotography.info/) forums have mentioned good
success buying the Feisol tripods from him.

--
Drew W. Saunders

dru (at) stanford (dot) eee dee you
Old February 28th 09, 10:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 09:25:32 +1000, D-Mac wrote:
: Beefy LaSleep wrote:
: Having an older (and heavier) Manfrotto which does get to be a chore
: when treking it on nature shoots, I have thought about selling it off
: and looking for carbon fiber in the affordable range. That is to say
: $400+ for a pod is out of the question now, and I see some close to
: $200, including at least one Manfrotto/Bogen. Thoughts on stability of
: these lower priced CFs? My equipment is strictly 35mm with small to
: moderate lenses, nothing huge, no medium format. Legs only, btw, I'm
: planning on keeping the Manfrotto ball head I have.....
:
: A lesser know drawback of lightweight tripods is their centre of gravity
: which is considerably higher than heavier tripods. It makes them more
: likely to fall over.
:
: Nothing more heart stopping than seeing a new Nikon D3 with a 400mm lens
: topple into a creek bed because an over active dog brushed past it.
:
: The problem is lessened - even eliminated buy using a heavy weight hung
: on the centre hook. I now carry a sand bag that I fill with rocks or
: sand before putting a camera on mine.

Why not carry some aluminum tent stakes and bungee cords? The setup would be
about as fast and a lot less messy.

Bob
Old March 2nd 09, 07:06 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

"Craig Schroeder" wrote in message
A friend has one of these and uses it for equipment such as yours and
perhaps a bit more challenging. He is very happy with it and I
believe he spent roughly what you are considering.

http://www.tiffen.com/userimages/D&S...LiteX10_ss.pdf

http://tinyurl.com/cvtms2

You can always put a strap-loop in that hook at the bottom, and put your
foot in it and hold everything down in a heavy cross wind.....My father used
to do something similar to that by tying a string to the bottom of his
camera and standing on the bottom end of the string and pulling up on the
camera while he pressed the shutter....Kind of a "reverse monopod". Crude, I
know, but string = $(almost nothing), and carbon fiber tripod = $(several
hundred :^)

IS & tripods TheDave© 35mm Photo Equipment 3 March 26th 06 03:01 PM
Tripods FS Arthur Small 35mm Equipment for Sale 0 August 22nd 05 04:17 PM
Tripods FS Arthur Small General Equipment For Sale 0 August 22nd 05 04:17 PM
Tripods Avery Digital SLR Cameras 3 January 23rd 05 11:17 AM
Tripods sonsdad 35mm Photo Equipment 37 November 8th 04 06:13 PM