Daily Telegraph Photo Competition

Old June 26th 04, 01:09 PM
Mike O'sullivan

Default Daily Telegraph Photo Competition

The Sunday/Daily Telegraph are running their annual photo competition. Has
anybody entered this? One thing that puzzled me about the rules is that they
say that both film and digital pictures will be accepted. However, they say
that in the event of a digital picture being accepted, "the original image
will be required".

What can that mean. Surely they don't mean that the original digital card
has to be preserved? Surely it's normal practice for the images to be either
printed or transferred to hard disc and the card re-formatted. What is the
original image in this context?.

Old June 26th 04, 02:03 PM
Steven Gray

"Mike O'sullivan" wrote in
:

The Sunday/Daily Telegraph are running their annual photo competition.
Has anybody entered this? One thing that puzzled me about the rules is
that they say that both film and digital pictures will be accepted.
However, they say that in the event of a digital picture being
accepted, "the original image will be required".

What can that mean. Surely they don't mean that the original digital
card has to be preserved? Surely it's normal practice for the images to
be either printed or transferred to hard disc and the card
re-formatted. What is the original image in this context?.

It probably means that they want a copy of the original file as it came
from the camera, without any modifications done with computer software.
I don't know how they would enforce it, though.

--
Steve Gray

Old June 26th 04, 02:12 PM
ERich10983

"the original image
will be required".

What can that mean. Surely they don't mean that the original digital card
has to be preserved? Surely it's normal practice for the images to be either
printed or transferred to hard disc and the card re-formatted. What is the
original image in this context?.

When I've entered newspaper contests (and won) I've sent them a CD with the
original JPEG file as well as the modified file I used for printing. This gives
them a chance to mess with the image to match their printing processes.

My image was used as part of their yearly calendar (I'm Mr. August! :). The
results were OK for newsprint, but nothing I wanted to hand out to friends or
relatives.

Earle Rich
Mont Vernon, NH
Old June 26th 04, 02:34 PM
Mike O'sullivan

Right. Thanks that's a good plan. The DT rules say that "no computer
manipulation is allowed". I don't know whether "manipulation" includes
exposure adjustments for example.

Cheers
Mike

Old June 26th 04, 03:19 PM
David J Taylor

"Mike O'sullivan" wrote in message
Right. Thanks that's a good plan. The DT rules say that "no computer
manipulation is allowed". I don't know whether "manipulation" includes
exposure adjustments for example.

Cheers
Mike

To me, that would rule out a camera that only outputs RAW files, for
example, as you are making adjusts, manipulation of the exposure, contrast
and colour balance, when you convert the RAW files into e.g. JPEG image
format.

I presume they don't want computer manufactured images - removing that
blot on the landscape for example - but "manipulation" is a very generic
term.

Good luck!

David

Old June 26th 04, 03:54 PM
scott

David J Taylor wrote:
"Mike O'sullivan" wrote in message
Right. Thanks that's a good plan. The DT rules say that "no computer
manipulation is allowed". I don't know whether "manipulation"
includes exposure adjustments for example.

Cheers
Mike

To me, that would rule out a camera that only outputs RAW files, for
example, as you are making adjusts, manipulation of the exposure,
contrast and colour balance, when you convert the RAW files into e.g.
JPEG image format.

I presume they don't want computer manufactured images - removing that
blot on the landscape for example - but "manipulation" is a very
generic term.

Maybe an accurate rule would be that you are not allowed to do any
pixel-specific editing. ie you are allowed to process, but you must do the
same to every pixel in the image. This would allow tweaking of contrast,
exposure etc but rule-out touching up specific areas of the image.

Old June 26th 04, 07:49 PM
Alfred Molon

Bill Hilton wrote:

I think it's EXACTLY the opposite, the only file acceptable as proof is the RAW
file since you can't edit that. At least that's the rule with the BBC Wildlife
Photographer of the Year competition and other high end competitions.

Hmmm... what if somebody wrote a little software which generates a RAW
image out of a JPEG image ? Should be feasible.
--

Alfred Molon
Old June 26th 04, 09:09 PM
Kakadu

If what you say is true Bill, Only the most expensive DSLRs can compete with
film. 10D Canon's and D70 Nikons all suffer from the same problems. Film on
the other hand, captures colour and detail missed 90% of the time with
digital. The whole digital thing is about manipulation.

Kakadu is photographer's Nirvana
Northern Territory, Australia

"Mike O'sullivan"

From: "David J Taylor"

To me, that would rule out a camera that only outputs RAW files

I think it's EXACTLY the opposite, the only file acceptable as proof is

the RAW
file since you can't edit that. At least that's the rule with the BBC

Wildlife
Photographer of the Year competition and other high end competitions.

for example, as you are making adjusts, manipulation of the exposure,
contrast and colour balance, when you convert the RAW files into e.g.
JPEG image format.

Presumably adjusting white balance and exposure during RAW conversion is
allowed, but "manipulation" to them means no cloning (in or out) or

cropping or
radical color changes. Some competitions ask for a jpeg to view and then
compare it to the RAW to see what you did to get there.

Bill