Nikon Service

Old July 12th 04, 05:02 PM
MikeS

Default Nikon Service

Has anyone had any experiences of Nikon UK main service near
Kingston-upon-Thames.

I've had quite a lot of trouble getting my D70 put right if I'd known better
I would have rejected the camera, doing so would have been quicker than a
repair I had the camera for 4 weeks nad noticed that all the building where
tilted to the right. They had it first time for repair on the 21st June 04
where they claimed to have changed the ccd and adjusted its alignment. They
phoned me to say camera was ready when I got there it wasn't so had to come
back next day. Unfortunately for me it was still faulty image tilted to the
right. I telephoned to complain and was told that I was my fault not
checking the camera before leaving. I told the manager since when does a
customer have to check an engineer work,and that it was no good pushing the
blame back to me it should have been checked by the technician. When I
telephoned to make arrangements to take it back the second time I was told
D70 have a four week turn around. I asked the manager that seeing as it
wasn't repaired satisfactory in the first place couldn't he speed things up.
He then told me of course as its a bouncer.
Took camera back on July the 7th 04, (I couldnt take it sooner as I was
haveing surgery on hand) On Friday the 9th June 04 I was told the engineer
is working on it now call back Monday 12th was told by the manager that it
was in pieces on the engineers bench as we speak. ring back on Wednesday, if
its not ready then call on Friday !6th. I know what will happen on Friday I
be told call back Monday (want to put money on it)
It looks to me that Nikon are having problems with the D70. It takes ages to
get in touch with them on the phone and they are not exactly truthful when
you do get hold of them. With such a back log you would think they would
work on Saturdays.
Anyway has anyone had a similar expeience in the UK.
Its a lovely camera spoilt by bad service managment.
Regards MikeS

Old July 12th 04, 08:50 PM
Roy

Yes I have and they are really slow and bloody expensive. If there is a
problem they are unwilling to sort it out fairly. See letter below:

Dear Sir,

My Nikonos V developed a problem with the film advance lever. It stuck in
the wound on position.

I had it repaired by you at the same time as a full service, and was charged
£190.62. (Your Ref. 1##### 2 months later I took the camera on holiday for
the first time snorkelled with it, using up one film. I cleaned & dried the
camera, making sure that when opening the back it was facing downward,
should there be any residue water around the back opening. There was none.
The camera was found to be dry and I replaced the film. On trying to advance
the film the rewind lever stuck in the wound on position again, just as
before.

I decided for several reasons not to return the camera to you immediately.
One reason was that as I was only going to dive abroad with it once a year.
I would wait until closer to the next holiday and have the camera repaired
during it's next service. I was convinced that you would take my word that
it happened just after the last repair as it was an exact fault as before.
When I put the camera in for repair next (Repair ID: 1####) I was told
quote:

"Camera has been flooded. Water and grit damage has caused wind on to
faulter. Estimated for spare parts listed and labour for replacing inner
body O-rings replaced and camera rebuilt. Water pressure checked to
standards if fault is found to be more extensive equipment will be
re-estimated." Total cost estimated at £502.75

I am not disputing the fact that at some time BEFORE I purchased the camera
it had been flooded. What I do feel is that when the camera was first
repaired by you the water & grit damage was not found, and that the camera
could not have been repaired correctly.

I contacted M#### S##### and explained the situation and went on to tell her
that at the time I had to hire an underwater camera because mine had failed.
I was told be her that if I could prove the camera hire my claim would be
looked upon more favourably. I managed to obtain a bill from the dive shop
in the Maldives proving that I had indeed hired an underwater camera from
them just two months after mine was repaired & serviced. A copy of the bill
was e-mailed to her on the #####

I have not received any explanation as to what had been decided but a new
bill has just arrived for the reduced sum of £276.52

I feel that this reduced bill is an admission of guilt on your part. I am
still not happy with this outcome. I feel that I have a genuine complaint
under the supply of goods and services act.

Would you please respond to this letter within 14 days so that I may decide
on what further action to take.

Yours Sincerely

Roy Squires

CC Trading Standards, Leatherhead

DAS Group Legal Advice Department

The problem was never resolved by them I eventually settled for the reduced
cost for repair and sold the camera at a loss. I have now gone digital
((Non Nikon) and will never buy their products again.

Regards,
Roy.

Old July 12th 04, 09:00 PM
MikeS

"MikeS" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Roy,

I take it that the Nikon repairers where at Knigston-upon-Thames
I'm writing to the G.M. asap.
It payes to kepp a diary of events.
MikeS

Old July 13th 04, 12:26 AM
Arte Phacting

snipped - see posts up there

hmmm

Forgive me if I am wrong but:
1 - once a new item is sent for repair = that's it! your stuck with it.
There is usually a choice to repair, return or replace It is wise to choose
your option beforehand

2 - a QA (quality assurance) issue there would appear to be none on the
original item and none on the repaired item

(i ain't gonna mention names)

3 - in the US there is something called the lemon law I think it runs on 4
strikes & your out After the 4th repeated repair you may invoke the lemon
law. Retailers do not want it in the UK because they prefer to provide a
service without the need for law This is actually a good point - a good
reputation is very difficult to build and so easy to lose

Just for "holistic" interests - if you reach an agreement could you update
this post? It need not be too elaborate if you don't want it to be -
something like: satisfaction reached eventually

I am sure we'll all know what you mean

Artie (yes - it is bagal but a name change seems poetic this evening :-)

ps - if you are ever in the same situation remember to exercise one of the 3
r's repair, return or replace There's no point in beating about the r's

Artie

Old July 13th 04, 09:36 AM
MikeS

"Arte Phacting" wrote in message

[...]

Here in the UK, under European directive (god knows which) an item must be

serviceable for the purpose it was designed/made for. This virtually gives a
6 year warranty but our government is a bit shy on letting the public know
about these things. To make matters worse, there is also another confusing
rule. If it has been repaired under warranty it cannot be rejected (as its
deemed to be second hand) I.E. returned to the supplier as unsatisfactory.
To summarise :- If you have warranty work done on your camera you have lost
the right to reject the camera.

Finally (not on topic)Nikon are a multinational firm/business and I hear
that health and safety rules for multinationals trading in the UK can apply
the Health and Safety rules of the country that the holding company resides
in.
What a load of tosh our representative have led us into, where has common
sense gone!!? I know its been banned under a European directive!!!
MikeS