Nikon to go mirrorless

Old July 21st 10, 05:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington[_5_]

Default Nikon to go mirrorless

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
Mark F wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 11:42:49 -0400, "Neil Harrington" wrote, in part:
As someone mentioned a few days ago, "single-lens reflex" implies the
use of
a mirror. It will be very interesting to see what Nikon's "new type" of
SLR
is, but it sounds like the sort of interchangeable-lens EVF camera we've
already seen from other makers -- "mirrorless single-lens reflex" is a
contradiction in terms. My guess is somebody got something wrong in that
report.

I had a "pellicle" camera in the 1960s that had a fixed mirror. I'm
not sure exactly what "reflex" refers to, but I think that "mirrorless
single-lens reflex" refers to the lack of a moving mirror

Reflex means the mirror swings out of the way - reflexes.

No, it just means "reflector." Mirror lenses are sometimes called reflex
lenses for example. And no twin-lens reflex I ever owned or heard of had a
swinging mirror.

But you could say Reflexless...

Single Lens means *not* twin lens like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Blackbird-35mm.../dp/B001TKW92M

So it would be an Interchangeable Lens, Mirror-less, Non-twin-lens,
Reflex-less camera (ILMLNTLRL).

But why have all the things it *doesn't* have part of the description?

Nikon's "ILC" seems good enough.

:-)

Try pronouncing that acronym!

Paul, I never even heard anyone pronounce "SLR." :-)

Old July 22nd 10, 05:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Neil Harrington wrote:
"Paul wrote in message
Mark F wrote:
[...]

Yeah, my bad - not thinking...

But you could say Reflexless...

Single Lens means *not* twin lens like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Blackbird-35mm.../dp/B001TKW92M

So it would be an Interchangeable Lens, Mirror-less, Non-twin-lens,
Reflex-less camera (ILMLNTLRL).

But why have all the things it *doesn't* have part of the description?

Exactly!