Kodak Rapid Fixer storage life.

Old June 6th 08, 02:06 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Jean-David Beyer

Default Kodak Rapid Fixer storage life.

I was wondering about buying a cubitainer of part A of Kodak Rapid Fixer
instead of mixing F-9 fixer all the time. But sometimes I do not use it very
fast, so perhaps I should get the smaller size.

How long does the stuff last, unmixed, in the cubitainer? I have great
difficulty finding this information on Kodak's web site. They tell me the
lifetime of working solutions in an old J-1, but that is not available
anymore, and it does not tell me what I want to know.

^^-^^ 21:00:01 up 14 days, 10:57, 3 users, load average: 4.30, 4.38, 4.21
Old June 6th 08, 03:53 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Nicholas O. Lindan

FWIW: I use Arista rapid fixer and a 1 gallon jug lasts about
1 1/2 years before the (now) mostly empty jug starts to throw
yellow sulfur. It might last longer in the 'fridge, but I
have never tried keeping it there. TTBOMK, most all modern
"Rapid" fixers are ~60% ammonium thiosulfate with a pixie
dust of hardeners and acidifiers/buffers.

At the time I investigated Arista was the cheapest fixer
available. I don't think there is any advantage to spending
extra money for boutique fixer.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.darkroomautomation.com/index2.htm

Old June 6th 08, 04:18 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Ken Hart[_3_]

"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote in message
m...
FWIW: I use Arista rapid fixer and a 1 gallon jug lasts about
1 1/2 years before the (now) mostly empty jug starts to throw
yellow sulfur. It might last longer in the 'fridge, but I
have never tried keeping it there. TTBOMK, most all modern
"Rapid" fixers are ~60% ammonium thiosulfate with a pixie
dust of hardeners and acidifiers/buffers.

At the time I investigated Arista was the cheapest fixer
available. I don't think there is any advantage to spending
extra money for boutique fixer.

Years ago I had a darkroom in the garage (an outbuilding) that was only
heated when I wanted to use it. The fixer settled out in a sort of 'angel
hair' formation. Although this was probably the garden variety Kodak mix
from a powder variety. I stand ready to be chastised for this comment!

In recent years, I've gone to B&W chems that come in concentrate form and
can be mixed as needed.

Old June 11th 08, 12:51 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Jean-David Beyer

wrote:
On Jun 5, 6:06 pm, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
I was wondering about buying a cubitainer of part A of Kodak Rapid Fixer
instead of mixing F-9 fixer all the time. But sometimes I do not use it very
fast, so perhaps I should get the smaller size.

How long does the stuff last, unmixed, in the cubitainer? I have great
difficulty finding this information on Kodak's web site. They tell me the
lifetime of working solutions in an old J-1, but that is not available
anymore, and it does not tell me what I want to know.

I use a dry concentrate, sodium thiosulfate. It has unlimited life
span.
Used unadulterated, a quick to mix fresh fix at time of use, film or
paper. Use it very dilute one-shot for archival results with one
fix, film or paper. Dan

I know, but for TMax films, I find F6 fixer is too slow and difficult to
achieve complete fixing. Kodak recommend Repid Fixer. I have mixed up F9
fixer in the past, but I am not sure how good my 100# drum of sodium
thiosulfate is now that the garage roof sprung a leak and got water all over
the drum (cardboard). I have a new roof now, but I do not really want to mix
the stuff as F9 is not as fast as Rapid Fixer is said to be.

/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey
http://counter.li.org
^^-^^ 19:45:01 up 22 min, 4 users, load average: 5.10, 4.47, 3.25