ThumbsPlus and an "ORIENTATION" flag in Jpeg photos ?

Old October 10th 04, 07:26 PM
QuienEs

Thanks Mikey, for your help. I configured another instance of Agent,
for news.cerious.com and searched all the headers for
{ROTATE} | {ORIENTATION} and have a lot of reading to do.

At first blush, it looks like the feature has been implemented in one
or more recent releases, and that it is causing problems for some
users because their cameras don't do the EXIF tag/flag correctly.

Anyway, the charm was you suggesting the right word "rotate",
that gets me much more reading material.

Cheers, QE
================

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 14:11:54 GMT, "Mike Fields"
wrote:

|Just looked at the Thumbs Plus web page and couldn't find what I
|was looking for, but I seem to remember that the new version 7
|(I have not downloaded my copy yet) supports the "rotation flag"
|or maybe it is called an "orientation flag" -- something like that
|in the EXIF header on JPEG pictures. Some cameras create
|this flag to tell the orientation of the camera when the picture
|was taken ... I don't have a clue what it does if you are shooting
|straight up .. maybe it just does not matter. I seem to remember that
|from earlier emails on the new features in version 7. You might
|also want to check out the Thumbs Plus newsgroups from
|Cerious -- they have their own news server for their support.
|-- the server is news.cerious.com and there are several support
|groups with lots of good info in them.
|
|mikey

.. .

Old October 10th 04, 08:47 PM
Mike Fields

Glad I could help -- one of those things that only takes seconds to
find in a search engine .... after you spend HOURS figuring out
what the key word is to search for !!

mikey

news

Old October 11th 04, 01:19 AM
Gary Hendricks

Hi

I don't think there's any photo program out there that 'automatically'
recognizes if an image is rotated or not (how does it know?). Only a
human can 'tag' the image to tell the software. If you're interested,
Adobe Photoshop Album 2 is a good software for tagging images.

Gary Hendricks
www.basic-digital-photography.com

QuienEs wrote in message . ..
My wife was given hundreds of large [around 2MB ea] old scanned family
photos - the idea being for me, the techie, to show them to her with a
ThumbsPlus 6 slide show. A large percentage of them need to be
rotated 90 degrees clockwise for proper viewing on a PC

The person who scanned them says he didn't rotate them because there
would be a loss of quality - the idea here being that if they were to

Old October 11th 04, 04:11 AM
Paul Coen

Default ThumbsPlus and an "ORIENTATION" flag in Jpeg photos ?

I'm going to guess (and it's only a guess) that the Minolta Maxxum 7D will
as well. The original Maxxum 7 film camera can detect orientation -- the
informational LCD panel on the back of it will change the display to the
appropriate direction - horizontal, right side down, left side down (no, it
doesn't recognize upside-down . I'd be surprised if they don't extend
that to recording orientation on the digital model.

On 10-Oct-04 21:09, Michael Meissner wrote:
(Gary Hendricks) writes:

Hi

I don't think there's any photo program out there that 'automatically'
recognizes if an image is rotated or not (how does it know?). Only a
human can 'tag' the image to tell the software. If you're interested,
Adobe Photoshop Album 2 is a good software for tagging images.

Newer Canon and Nikon cameras record the orientation of the photo in the EXIF
information, and smart software can rotate the picture when downloading it. My
Olympus cameras can be told to rotate pictures during the review on the LCD,
and the camera sets the orientation flag (I believe my friend's 717 can also do
this). My download software does this autoration, and it is fairly useful. I
am hoping that my next camera will automatically set the orientation flag.

Old October 11th 04, 09:21 AM
David J Taylor

Gadgets wrote:
For compatibility with other apps, you might want to rotate them any
way. Rotating once is going to cause so minimal a quality loss it's
not going to matter. Rotate 20 times and you'll see some change...
the pixel calcs just aren't perfectly accurate.

Given the right program, 90 degree rotation of JPEG images can be
completely lossless. It does /not/ need to involve "pixel calcs" at all.

Software example:
PIE - Picture Information Extractor www.picmeta.com

David

Old October 12th 04, 12:12 AM
Michael Meissner

Paul Coen writes:

I'm going to guess (and it's only a guess) that the Minolta Maxxum 7D will as
well. The original Maxxum 7 film camera can detect orientation -- the
informational LCD panel on the back of it will change the display to the
appropriate direction - horizontal, right side down, left side down (no, it
doesn't recognize upside-down . I'd be surprised if they don't extend that to
recording orientation on the digital model.

They mention having the LCD rotate the images based on the orientation of the
camera, so it would make sense that they would record the orientation in the
EXIF fields. But sometimes camera companies do silly things. Upside down
would be useful when the camera is mounted on a tripod with a reversable center
column for macro shots.

--
Michael Meissner
email: