Duck: did you snag Endeavour?

Old September 22nd 12, 01:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Default Duck: did you snag Endeavour?

Some snaps.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...er-photos.html

(Enterprise (which never flew in space) flew low around and over
Montreal on the back of one of the 2 747's in the early 80's and I saw
that. It landed in Ottawa - a buddy of mine and I flew his C-172 there
to see it up close on the ground. Impressive. (It may not have been
called "Enterprise" at the time for that matter). He took video IIRC.
I didn't have a camera with me).

--
"There were, unfortunately, no great principles on which parties
were divided – politics became a mere struggle for office."

Old September 22nd 12, 09:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-09-21 17:40:22 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

Some snaps.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...-endeavour-ove
r-los-angeles-reader-photos.html

(Enterprise (which never flew in space) flew low around and over
Montreal on the back of one of the 2 747's in the early 80's and I saw
that. It landed in Ottawa - a buddy of mine and I flew his C-172 there
to see it up close on the ground. Impressive. (It may not have been
called "Enterprise" at the time for that matter). He took video IIRC.
I didn't have a camera with me).

Unfortunately, no!
The closest it got to me was the fly over of the Monterey Bay Aquarium
( 36.618253,-121.901481 ). I was some 90 miles South in the Lake
Nacimiento area ( 35.7204983333,-120.8808650000 )with other stuff
happening.

Savageduck

Old September 22nd 12, 07:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
the Legend of LAX

I was standing literally feet from touchdown with only a handful of
other people. I have posted some pics on my Facebook page.

http://tinyurl.com/8s5fnrr

--
Dale G Elhardt AG6MA
Cypress Ca

Old September 22nd 12, 07:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 2012.09.22 14:29 , the Legend of LAX wrote:
I was standing literally feet from touchdown with only a handful of
other people. I have posted some pics on my Facebook page.

http://tinyurl.com/8s5fnrr

I like that shot. I presume you work at LAX?

The A-380 shot is great!

(Air France fly about 5 A-380 flights/week here but I haven't gone out
to shoot. They also moved the flight to 15:00 meaning the warmer light
is gone. In the fall when the flight came in at around 17:00 one could
get great light on the 24R approach).

Old September 22nd 12, 09:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-09-22 11:29:53 -0700, the Legend of LAX said:

I was standing literally feet from touchdown with only a handful of
other people. I have posted some pics on my Facebook page.

http://tinyurl.com/8s5fnrr

....but Dale, as all who know your work from
alt.binaries.pictures.aviation you are permanently camped out at the
end of that runway. It is always interesting to see some of that
strange and exotic freight which passes in front of your lens.

BTW: Nice capture!
I know you are going to miss the opportunities when you pull the plug.

Savageduck

Old September 22nd 12, 09:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-09-22 12:44:50 -0700, Bruce said:

the Legend of LAX wrote:

I was standing literally feet from touchdown

How many feet was that, er, literally?

Go and check Dale's work at alt.binaries.pictures.aviation there you
will see some of his shots are literally closer than you might have
thought possible.
He is a shooter of planes.

Here are a couple of his shots of an A380 from his latest batch.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...2012%20281.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...2012%20278.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...2012%20270.jpg

Savageduck

Old September 22nd 12, 11:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 11:29:53 -0700, the Legend of LAX
wrote:

I was standing literally feet from touchdown with only a handful of
other people. I have posted some pics on my Facebook page.

http://tinyurl.com/8s5fnrr

Now for the hard bit: getting her stopped!

Eric Stevens
Old September 23rd 12, 01:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

I was standing literally feet from touchdown with only a handful of
other people. I have posted some pics on my Facebook page.

http://tinyurl.com/8s5fnrr

Now for the hard bit: getting her stopped!

Even tougher is going to be moving to the museum.
Just getting it from LAX to Inglewood might find it up on blocks in a
vacant lot with the wheels gone.

Savageduck

Old September 23rd 12, 01:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 2012.09.22 20:18 , John A. wrote:

I hear it's to be hauled through the streets on a large transport at 2
MPH or so, and that in some spots there will be only a few inches
clearance between it and the buildings it's passing between. As I
understand it just choosing the route was a challenge, requiring
months of work by volunteer engineers to find & verify one with enough
clearance and that can withstand the weight.

Not to mention cutting down over 400 mature trees. Those will be
replaced, and then some, by the museum but it will take 10 - 20 years or
more to get back to the same state.

Old September 23rd 12, 03:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-09-22 19:04:04 -0700, John A. said:

On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 20:47:20 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

On 2012.09.22 20:18 , John A. wrote:

I hear it's to be hauled through the streets on a large transport at 2
MPH or so, and that in some spots there will be only a few inches
clearance between it and the buildings it's passing between. As I
understand it just choosing the route was a challenge, requiring
months of work by volunteer engineers to find & verify one with enough
clearance and that can withstand the weight.

Not to mention cutting down over 400 mature trees. Those will be
replaced, and then some, by the museum but it will take 10 - 20 years or
more to get back to the same state.

A 2 for 1 replanting, I hear.

Any word if good use is to be made of the cut trees, perhaps
offsetting the need to harvest 400 other trees?

Mulch is mulch. What I saw on the news they were just feeding the
downed trees into an industrial sized Chipper/shredder, blowing all the
chips into the back of a dump truck. I guess they might save the
Inglewood municipality some landscaping supply costs with the pile of
chips and mulch.

Savageduck