Sony to stop making FX sensors?

Old July 26th 10, 06:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell[_2_]

Default Sony to stop making FX sensors?

Thom Hogan thinks it is possible.

http://www.bythom.com/

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old July 26th 10, 07:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 10:27:14 -0700, C J Campbell
wrote:

Thom Hogan thinks it is possible.

http://www.bythom.com/

I doubt it. If Sony wants to compete with Nikon and Canon, they'll
need a FF offering, even if they aren't turning the type of profits
they want from it. They'll never crack the pro market without one.
Old July 26th 10, 08:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell[_2_]

wrote:

Thom Hogan thinks it is possible.

http://www.bythom.com/

I doubt it. If Sony wants to compete with Nikon and Canon, they'll
need a FF offering, even if they aren't turning the type of profits
they want from it. They'll never crack the pro market without one.

The thing is, if Sony stops making FX sensors, then Nikon will not have
them, either, unless Nikon has something in development that no one
knows anything about.

So it would basically be Canon.

Then we could restart the whole "do you really need a FF sensor" war
again. As Thom Hogan frequently notes, most of his professional work is
done with the D300.

I myself use a D3x. But I have to admit that I don't like using it. It
is too heavy and bulky. But I use it instead of the D300 because there
really is a noticeable difference in picture quality that I like in the
D3x. I guess that puts me in the "needs a FF sensor" camp. And that
reminds me. The D300 needs to be sent in again. It is draining
batteries for some reason. It is good enough as a backup if I remember
to take the battery out and keep freshly charged batteries available,
but I am going to have to send it in as soon as I can get a break.
Ummm, no break coming up soon. Maybe I need a new camera, perhaps
another D300.

Old July 26th 10, 08:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
R. Mark Clayton

"C J Campbell" wrote in message
Thom Hogan thinks it is possible.

http://www.bythom.com/

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Minolta and more lately Sony have been messing about for ages on this.

Nothing for years and then full frame at silly prices.

Other makers had stuff early and prices are keener.

I have a bag full of Minolta glass and I will be mightily ****ed off if Sony
stop making full frame (instead of ramping up volume and dropping the cost).

The trouble with Sony is that if they can't rack up a higher margin than
other manufacturers through some proprietary features then they quickly lose
interest.

Of course their ways of ensuring lock in are sometimes ethically
questionable: -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_rootkit

Old July 26th 10, 09:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article
2010072610271416807-christophercampbellremovethis@hotmailcom, C J
Campbell wrote:

Thom Hogan thinks it is possible.

http://www.bythom.com/

thom hogan thinks a lot of things are possible. not all of them are.
Old July 26th 10, 09:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article
2010072612010375249-christophercampbellremovethis@hotmailcom, C J
Campbell wrote:

The thing is, if Sony stops making FX sensors, then Nikon will not have
them, either, unless Nikon has something in development that no one
knows anything about.

nope. sony might not make them for their own use but nikon is a
separate deal. the d3/d3s is a very popular camera. the d3x is niche.
Old July 26th 10, 09:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-07-26 12:01:03 -0700, C J Campbell

wrote:

[...]

How old are the batteries are in your D300?
The time might have come to replace them.

Savageduck

Old July 26th 10, 11:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

On 2010-07-26 12:01:03 -0700, C J Campbell

wrote:

[...]

There's a "battery lifespan" indicator in the d300, presumably reads
chip on the battery, though I don't know if that would be based on
number of charge cycles, or something else.
After I bought a D70 many years ago, Nikon recalled some of the EN-EL3
batteries for a fault, and replaced them. By the time I got around to
checking s/n on my battery, the EN-EL3"a" was introduced - so they gave
me one of those (I sold the D70 with aftermarket battery in it) So I've
got one battery about 18 months old (bought with the D300) and one about
4-5 years old. Both read as "100% new" in the D300 battery meter. I
suspect that unless you machine-gun the D300 or use liveview a lot, two
batteries might outlast the camera. I seem to get about 1,000 shots per
charge, even with a little "chimping". If they last 500 charge cycles,
then I'll need a few new shutters.
IIRC there was someone reporting D300 or 700 draining batteries quite
fast when "off" in DPReview forums.
Old July 26th 10, 11:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

Campbell wrote:

Thom Hogan thinks it is possible.

http://www.bythom.com/

thom hogan thinks a lot of things are possible. not all of them are.

Sure - but he's usually less "sensational" than several other
photo-websters.
The recently published Japanese sales figures for interchangeable lens
camera sales are probably a reasonable guide to what's going on, even if
there's some difference between markets.
IIRC the largest market chunk by any 35mm sensor camera was 1.8% (of
unit sales) with the Canon 5d. Nikon (FX) didn't make the cut-off. Sony
only featured in the figures with the newly released NEX cameras.
35mm format is a very small niche - most of the profit will be in lens
sales, including especially to APS-c users "future-proofing" by buying
35mm format lenses. That's why Nikon/Canon now release pro-quality
lenses in FX format only. They are really milking the market for
everything they can get.
Old July 27th 10, 07:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell[_2_]

wrote:

Thom Hogan thinks it is possible.

It's ALSO possible the Sun could go Nova tomorrow.

Highly improbable, BUT possible!

No, there are certain signs before a sun goes nova. I read that in "The
Last Days of Krypton," so it must be true.