How many volumn of solution do I need to smoothly process printpaper in a 12x16 tray?

Old May 4th 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Thor Lancelot Simon

Default How many volumn of solution do I need to smoothly process printpaper in a 12x16 tray?

On Apr 30, 1:04*am, Peter wrote:

A problem that occurs when trying to use the minimum
developer is initially wetting the paper evenly.

Pre-wetting the paper is another way when using minimal
solution volumes. A minute or two will do. Pour out the water,
pour in the developer.

This is a very bad idea, as a general-purpose development technique --
it will dramatically change the characteristic curve of the paper, or,
at least, the papers I was using when I tried it (Kodabromide III,
and the last-generation Oriental-manufactured Seagull the second time I
gave it a shot) exhibited this effect unless given extremely long
development times.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon

"The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to
be abandoned or transcended, there is no problem." - Noam Chomsky
Old May 5th 08, 02:24 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Pico

Some paper has developer in the emulsion coating. Wouldn't it be washed out
with pre-soaking?

Old May 5th 08, 02:39 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

On 5/4/2008 6:24 PM Pico spake thus:

Some paper has developer in the emulsion coating. Wouldn't it be washed out
with pre-soaking?

It would be activated, not washed out. No doubt one of the things that
contributes to the ill effects Thor commented on.

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill
Old May 9th 08, 01:40 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Pico

wrote in message
On May 4, 6:39 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...] In a word, for most purposes developer incorporate papers are
NON-EXISTANT.

Dan - that's great news and very much appreciated.