LightRoom Mobile and external storage

Old October 18th 17, 05:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default LightRoom Mobile and external storage

On Oct 18, 2017, android wrote
(in ):

In iganews.com,
Savageduck wrote:

On Oct 18, 2017, android wrote
(in ):

In iganews.com,
Savageduck wrote:

Last year I took an overseas trip and I decided to travel light, so my
only
computing device was an iPhone 6S+ (128 GB) with Lightroom Mobile. Tx
from
camera to iPhone was space limited, so primary backup was to my 1 TB
Colorspace UDMA and additional phone storage to a SandiskiXpand flash
drive.
They have several solutions.

https://www.hypershop.com/products/hyperdrive-colorspace-udma3

That's an empty box this thingy seem to be a way better deal and you get
1TB storage from the get go:

Yup!

https://www.amazon.com/Passport-Wire...-Drive/dp/B00M
9B3XZM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1508340637&sr =1-1&keywords=me
mory+card+backup+device&refinements=p_n_feature_tw o_browse-bin%3A54468120
11

http://tinyurl.com/y8tqg64m

There is nothing wrong with that. The UDMA was the best of its kind back
then, and even now has the advantage of having an LCD display, and slots for
CF, SD, and a bunch of other memory cards.

It seems that you can back up from a SD card and then browse it from a
mobile device. From Amazon:

Built-in SD card slot
Wirelessly connect with your mobile devices
Back up or transfer photos and videos from your SD card

For most folks that should be just fine. These days it would be all I need,
but I have a perfectly good, and functional UDMA.

Whatever. For it to be a true backup you would need to have an
additional disk mirrored on the side or keep to the data on the cards
and thus have cards to cover you for the whole trip. I think that I'll
bring my 10" Acer and an external 2.5"HD enclosure on my next longer
trip to mirror important stuff. Seems safer than to fiddle with pads,
tabs or phones...

You just have to do whatever works for you. I had a triple redundant backup
in the past, and it paid off when I had my D300 stolen in 2009 and only lost
5 shots. I am doing something slightly different now, but I still have an
on-the-road backup which should still work.

Savageduck

Old October 18th 17, 05:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tim Watts

On 18/10/17 17:33, Savageduck wrote:

Currently the best of breed for asset management is Lightroom,

That was my conclusion after a lot of research. ACDsee looked good but
lacked mobile support.

and if you are
going that route, then there is a new development which might suit you even
better. Adobe has just announced a change to their Adobe CC line up which
would give you 1TB of Adobe Creative Cloud storage and new Lightroom CC for
$10/month. With 1TB you wouldn’t need any elaborate storage. I currently
use the Photography plan which gives me 20GB.

Oh yes! So I can keep a full copy in the cloud? Cool. That will help a
lot...

http://news.adobe.com/press-release/...ntroduces-new-
lightroom-cc-cloud-photography-service

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/18/...-adobe-update-
release-price-photography

https://petapixel.com/2017/10/18/bye...oom-cc-faster-
lightroom-classic/

Thank you...

BTW: 200GB of photos over 20 years, is not a particularly large amount. These
days with larger sensors and file sizes it is possible to accumulate massive
archives. At a single 4-6 hour event such as an airshow, or motorsport event
shooting 100GB or more would not be unusual.

I know - my cameras have evolved. I have a lot of unscanned negatives to
deal with from the 90s. But you're right, one holiday with my new
Panasonic Lumix results in a lot of data now!

You can only have one catalogue at a time. You can have several catalogues,
and some pro users go that route to separate individual client shoots, but
for most of us working with a single catalogue is simpler.

From what you have said, I assume that your photography is mostly shot on
your phone.

Lumix as mentioned above - it's just I want to do the cataloguing on the
phone (or later maybe a pad) as it's a great way to use 15 minutes here
and there to work through stuff...

I do take mobile photos - usually if I have not planned on taking a
camera, but also "documentary" photos of my DIY activities (and these
are vitally important - paint colour codes, spacing of joists above
ceilings where I'm gong to drill holes for downlighters later, that sort
of thing)
Old October 18th 17, 05:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 18, 2017, Tim Watts wrote
(in ):

[...]

https://petapixel.com/2017/10/18/bye...troom-cc-faste
r-
lightroom-classic/

Thank you...

Here is what I just got from Adobe which was distributed to Adobe CC
subscribers.

http://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography-classic/members.html

BTW: 200GB of photos over 20 years, is not a particularly large amount.
These
days with larger sensors and file sizes it is possible to accumulate massive
archives. At a single 4-6 hour event such as an airshow, or motorsport event
shooting 100GB or more would not be unusual.

I know - my cameras have evolved. I have a lot of unscanned negatives to
deal with from the 90s. But you're right, one holiday with my new
Panasonic Lumix results in a lot of data now!

You can only have one catalogue at a time. You can have several catalogues,
and some pro users go that route to separate individual client shoots, but
for most of us working with a single catalogue is simpler.

From what you have said, I assume that your photography is mostly shot on

Old October 18th 17, 08:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tim Watts

On 18/10/17 17:33, Savageduck wrote:
http://news.adobe.com/press-release/...ntroduces-new-
lightroom-cc-cloud-photography-service

"Lightroom CC will be cloud and mobile focused."

That is good news for me...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDk...DzR_2K2p9tnwYQ
Tony Northrup was saying he liked LR Mobile on an ipad pro for sorting
stuff out and basic editing - which is what prompted me to look into it.

Now all they need to do is put keywording into LR Mobile
Old October 18th 17, 08:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tim Watts

On 18/10/17 17:33, Savageduck wrote:
http://news.adobe.com/press-release/...ntroduces-new-
lightroom-cc-cloud-photography-service

"Lightroom CC features the same power as Photoshop and Lightroom but a
new streamlined user interface that allows for powerful editing of
full-resolution photos on desktop, mobile, and the Web. "

Sorry - didn't see that 'til just now:

"and the Web" - now that is exciting, if I can do more without booting
Windows in VMWare on my Linux laptop. That was one reason I was looking
at getting a MacBook - but maybe I won't need to bother...
Old October 18th 17, 08:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tim Watts
wrote:

Tony Northrup was saying he liked...

whatever he was paid to say. he is a shill.
Old October 18th 17, 08:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 18, 2017, Tim Watts wrote
(in ):

On 18/10/17 17:33, Savageduck wrote:
http://news.adobe.com/press-release/...ntroduces-new-
lightroom-cc-cloud-photography-service

"Lightroom CC features the same power as Photoshop and Lightroom but a
new streamlined user interface that allows for powerful editing of
full-resolution photos on desktop, mobile, and the Web. "

Sorry - didn't see that 'til just now:

"and the Web" - now that is exciting, if I can do more without booting
Windows in VMWare on my Linux laptop. That was one reason I was looking
at getting a MacBook - but maybe I won't need to bother...

I would check on support. I doubt that there will be any sort of Linux
support for the new Adobe CC/Lightroom CC on the Web or otherwise.

Savageduck

Old October 18th 17, 08:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

On Oct 18, 2017, Tim Watts wrote
(in ):

On 18/10/17 17:33, Savageduck wrote:
http://news.adobe.com/press-release/...ntroduces-new-
lightroom-cc-cloud-photography-service

"Lightroom CC features the same power as Photoshop and Lightroom but a
new streamlined user interface that allows for powerful editing of
full-resolution photos on desktop, mobile, and the Web. "

Sorry - didn't see that 'til just now:

"and the Web" - now that is exciting, if I can do more without booting
Windows in VMWare on my Linux laptop. That was one reason I was looking
at getting a MacBook - but maybe I won't need to bother...

I would check on support. I doubt that there will be any sort of Linux
support for the new Adobe CC/Lightroom CC on the Web or otherwise.

https://digital-photography-school.com/overview-lightroom-web/

https://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2017/0...g-started-seri
es.html

I have another workflow meself...
--
teleportation kills
Old October 18th 17, 08:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 18, 2017, Tim Watts wrote
(in ):

On 18/10/17 17:33, Savageduck wrote:
http://news.adobe.com/press-release/...ntroduces-new-
lightroom-cc-cloud-photography-service

"Lightroom CC will be cloud and mobile focused."

That is good news for me...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDk...DzR_2K2p9tnwYQ
Tony Northrup was saying he liked LR Mobile on an ipad pro for sorting
stuff out and basic editing - which is what prompted me to look into it.

I am not a big Northrup fan. Too many of his opinions are influenced by $$$.
However, in the case of LR Mobile on an iPad Pro he is correct.

Now all they need to do is put keywording into LR Mobile

I understand that has been addressed in the new CC set up.

I have already updated my CC apps PS, Lightroom (now Classic), and Bridge and
the improvements are tangible.

Now LR Mobile files are directly accessible via PS CC whereas before, that
could only be done via LRM/LR CC sync.

Savageduck

Old October 18th 17, 09:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Savageduck:

Currently the best of breed for asset management is Lightroom,

Tim Watts:
That was my conclusion after a lot of research. ACDsee looked good but
lacked mobile support.

and if you are
going that route, then there is a new development which might suit you even
better. Adobe has just announced a change to their Adobe CC line up which
would give you 1TB of Adobe Creative Cloud storage and new Lightroom CC for
$10/month. With 1TB you wouldn’t need any elaborate storage. I currently
use the Photography plan which gives me 20GB.

Oh yes! So I can keep a full copy in the cloud? Cool. That will help a
lot...

I wanted to answer your question but I was hobbled by a non-disclosure
agreement. I've been a beta tester for Lightroom Classic CC (the
Lightroom that we've known and loved, but with many improvements) and
the brand new Lightroom CC, which is exclusively cloud-based. I was
expecting release this week, but didn't know which day.

Staying within the confines of my NDA, I'll tell you that Lightroom CC
will do what you want. I speak from the Mac and iPad Pro experience
(and it's a fantastic photo platform!). AFAIK (but I could be wrong),
Lightroom Mobile on iOS can't import directly from a card or camera;
the pics have to go into the Apple Photos app. An extra step, but no
big thing. From there they can be imported into Lightroom Mobile. They
are available for editing on the iPad and they automatically sync to Lr
Classic CC *and* the new Lightroom CC on your computer. In the case of
Lr Classic CC the photo goes onto your HD. With Lightroom CC it is also
in the cloud. I have both new programs -- Lightroom CC Classic and
Lightroom CC -- on my Macs.

Lightroom Classic CC has more powerful editing routines than Lightroom
CC or Lightroom Mobile.

Referring to Q1 in your original post, you cannot edit photos directly
from your card. You must import them into Lightroom Mobile from the
card or from wherever they are on your Android flash storage (I know
nothing of Android). And recall that they are also going to Lightroom
CC /and/ Lightroom Classic CC on your computer if you have both. If you
have only Lightroom CC they will be in the cloud, but a full-resolution
copy in raw format can be saved to your HD with a right-click.

Q2 is moot; you can insert as many SD cards as you wish and import the
photos into Lightroom Mobile as described above. The photos are in the
cloud and the SD card is now out of the picture and you may import
photos from other SD cards to your heart's content.

Of course, sync works the other way. Add a photo to Lightroom CC on
your computer and it appears in Lightroom Mobile. And in Lightroom
Classic CC. Add a photo in Lightroom Classic CC and with a single
keystroke ("b") it syncs to the cloud, appears in Lightroom CC, and in
Lightroom Mobile on your device(s). Touch "b" again and it is removed
from the cloud world but remains in your Lightroom Classic CC library.

Finally, Lightroom Mobile can use your mobile camera. The photo will go
to the cloud and appear in Lightroom CC /and/ Lightroom Classic CC. I
love it!

BTW, Lightroom CC and Lightroom Classic CC can be open and running on
your computer simultaneously.

There is a lot of interoperability, there are many combinations of ways
to manipulate photos with the new Lightroom products. Read the stuff
that SD referenced. There is a learning curve, but one can start simply
and grow. Have fun!

Me? I've got to investigate the cost of Adobe's cloud storage. My
Lightroom catalogue is modest in size compared to that of a
professional, but it's still 1 GB in size for 20,000 photos. 2TB would
be good, if it's affordable.

Get a 27" iMac and an iPad Pro and you'll learn the meaning of bliss in
desktop and mobile computing.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm