Luminar for Windows

Old August 26th 17, 03:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Luminar for Windows

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

normally, beta versions expire. it's standard practice in the industry,
otherwise, users could scam free software.

i'm sure you've had beta apps expire.

Weasel! Instead of saying "it will probably expire", you said "it
will expire". You tried to come off as an expert and failed.

given that beta apps normally expire, it's entirely reasonable to say
it will expire.

you found an exception. whop de do. you're trying to make a big deal
out of nothing.

All you had to do was admit to being wrong in saying it *will* expire.
But you can't admit to being wrong and go on and on trying to weasel
out of being wrong.

i'm not weaseling. normally beta versions expire. you found one that
doesn't. nothing is absolute.

you're trying to make a big deal out it and it's not working.

Yeah, it worked. You've weaseled out of your *will* statement. Too
bad you can't just admit to being wrong.

it didn't work.

normally betas expire and you know it.

you could have simply said "this one doesn't" and that would have been
the end of it, but you instead went into attack mode.
Old August 26th 17, 06:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

The question was "Will *this* Beta expire?" and you chose to pretend
you know what you're talking about and it *will*.

no pretending needed. i clearly *do* know what i'm talking about.

my only mistake was believing your supposed email exchange and that you
found an exception. you did not. instead, you lied so you could attack.
that's *truly* disgusting.

https://www.windowscentral.com/mac-i...omes-windows-p
ublic-beta
As this is only the beta version, it will be deactivated once the
program goes public, but we are hoping to implement some special
advantages for those of you who helped us out by testing and offering
feedback on the beta version--we really appreciate your input!

https://photofocus.com/2017/07/13/lu...s-is-out-and-f
ree-for-now/
Can the Beta version be used indefinitely?
NopeŠ it will eventually expire when the final version is released

https://www.ephotozine.com/forums/to...e-public-beta-
of-luminar-for-windows-available--115869
Don't get too excited it will expire as soon as the paid version is
released.
Old August 26th 17, 07:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

I don't know if my Beta version will remain free and usable when the
program is released for sale or if I would have to upgrade.

it will expire.

As I have long suspected, Mr Know-It-All pretends to have some sort of
inside information, but actually just guesses at things and hopes
people won't check him out.

I emailed McPhun Support and asked if my Beta version will remain
useable after the product release and received this reply:

"You can use the Beta version of Luminar for as long as you want."

bull**** you did.

alina woods, a macphun employee, said it will expi

Old August 26th 17, 03:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Aug 25, 2017, Tony Cooper wrote
(in ):

Not the case. I've played around with it some more, and find no
advantage to what I already use. No reason to keep it.

The Beta version is clunky and slow. The sliders are a pain in the
ass compared to the sliders in, say, LR that can be ticked up/down
with the arrow keys or values typed in. There's a significant delay
between movement and result in the Beta. Export takes forever.

The released final version may be quite a good program for those who
don't have LR/PS, but I do so I see no need to explore further. But,
it was interesting to check it out.

BTW: Have you reported the findings from your use of the Beta to MacPhun?
That is after all the purpose of making a Beta available to the public. It is
both promotional, and a field/road test to identify and iron out issues/bugs
to be fixed before final release. It is part of the implied arrangement for
having a first peek at the app.

Savageduck

Old August 26th 17, 08:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

[...]

Never assume that others have the same low morals and standard of
honesty that you do. Here's a screenshot of my exchange:

https://photos.smugmug.com/AUE-Temp/.../O/macphun.jpg

You snipped the last line of her reader comment reply saying it was
posted "a month ago". Either things changed at MacPhun or Alina was
misinformed.

or that konstantin was misinformed.

it doesn't matter when it was posted and it's *highly* unlikely
anything has changed because it's industry standard practice to expire
betas.

it makes *no* sense for a beta version, particularly one that's not
feature complete (and therefore not even a beta) to keep working.

admit you're wrong.
Old August 26th 17, 08:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

The question was "Will *this* Beta expire?" and you chose to pretend
you know what you're talking about and it *will*.

no pretending needed. i clearly *do* know what i'm talking about.

my only mistake was believing your supposed email exchange and that you
found an exception. you did not. instead, you lied so you could attack.
that's *truly* disgusting.

Untrue. My email exchange was to MacPhun Support and from
"Konstantin" at MacPhun Support Team.

https://photos.smugmug.com/AUE-Temp/.../O/macphun.jpg

My cite is the from MacPhun, the ones who came up with the program.

easily faked.

You have provided cites from outsiders who are as informed as you
are...not at all.

they're not outsiders. you're just trying to weasel out of your ****up.

my cite is from alina woods, community manager at macphun, who monitors
social media and answers reader questions. richard harrington works
with macphun (and other developers), making him an insider.

https://www.windowscentral.com/mac-i...-windows-publi

c-beta
As this is only the beta version, it will be deactivated once the
program goes public, but we are hoping to implement some special
advantages for those of you who helped us out by testing and offering
feedback on the beta version--we really appreciate your input!

A quote from "Alina Woods" made a month ago. Either MacPhun decided
after that that one of the "special advantages" was for early testers
to be able to retain the program, or Alina was uninformed.

or konstantin was uninformed.

you're so hard up to attack that you refuse to even acknowledge the
possibility that you were given incorrect information.

as i explained, there's absolutely no reason for a beta version to
continue to work after the final version is released, especially when
the final version costs money. that would be *stupid*.

alina's answer is consistent with how the software industry works and
has worked for decades. konstantin's answer is exactly the *opposite*.

alina is also macphun's community manager. she's not the least bit
uninformed.

you, on the other hand, haven't a clue and are too stupid to even
realize that a non-expiring beta makes no sense.

admit your mistake.

https://photofocus.com/2017/07/13/lu...-out-and-free-

for-now/
Can the Beta version be used indefinitely?
NopeŠ it will eventually expire when the final version is released

You quote "Richard Harrington" who replies to comments, not a company
representitive. He's just as informed as you are.

he works with macphun (as well as other companies) so he is clearly in
a position to know.

admit your mistake.

https://www.ephotozine.com/forums/to...blic-beta-of-l

uminar-for-windows-available--115869
Don't get too excited it will expire as soon as the paid version is
released.

You quote someone named "redsnappa" in a reader forum and expect that
to carry some weight? He's probably quoting you somewhere. The lame
leaning on the crippled.

his screen name is irrelevant and resorting to ad hominem attacks on
others shows how desperate you are.

there's no reason for him (or anyone else) to lie about it.

admit your mistake.
Old August 26th 17, 10:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

https://www.windowscentral.com/mac-i...comes-windows-
publi
c-beta
As this is only the beta version, it will be deactivated once the
program goes public, but we are hoping to implement some special
advantages for those of you who helped us out by testing and offering
feedback on the beta version--we really appreciate your input!

A quote from "Alina Woods" made a month ago. Either MacPhun decided
after that that one of the "special advantages" was for early testers
to be able to retain the program, or Alina was uninformed.

or konstantin was uninformed.

Oh, I realize that. Someone erred, but you just guessed.

i did not guess nor do i guess.

what i said is based on decades of software development experience and
how the industry handles beta versions, which is that they expire.

it's unheard of for a beta to *not* expire, but as with everything,
there could be an exception (or even a mistake), except this ain't one
of them, no matter how much you wish it was.

you just can't handle the fact that i'm right once again and your lame
attack backfired big time.

My quote
was current, yours is a month ago or more.

irrelevant.

What you need to admit is that you made a specific statement that was
not based on any reliable information, and that statement has been
contradicted by a MacPhun Support member.

it's fully supported by a macphun employee as well as based on reliable
information and experience in the industry, which you lack.

you won't accept it because it doesn't say what you want it to say.

Since the program was downloaded to my computer, the only way it can
"expire" is for something to be included in the program with a date of
death to coincide with release or some sort of "call home" included.
The first is unlikely because they don't know the release date.

wrong on that too.

they have said the final version will be released later in 2017, which
means they *do* know the release date, at least approximate enough to
hardcode an expiration date.

you're *well* over your head.
Old August 26th 17, 10:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

nospam insists that the Beta Luminar software for Windows will expire
when the pay version is released.

so does macphun.

How is this done?

why do you care? are you going to try to patch it?

There are three ways I can think of that disable a Beta or trial
version of softwa

1. Expiration after a specified date that is built into the program.

or encoded into the activation key.

2. Expiration after a specified number of uses that is built into a
program.

that's not normally done for beta software, however, it is common for
trial versions of shipping apps.

3. Expiration by a "phone home" remote disablement.

possible, but given that they are using activation codes for an app
that is beta, not likely.

Luminar's offer does not specify, or even mention, an expiration
factor. Programs that do have built-in expiration always - in my
experience - specify this in the offer.

it's implied because it's beta software.

They give a date, a number of
uses, or require a phone-home link as Adobe does with CC
subscriptions.

not for betas, they don't.

subscription software is completely different and enabled and disabled
depending on whether you pay or not. that's very different than
expiration.

Since the Beta Luminar program has been downloaded to the user's
computer, something has to be built in to disable it at a future time.

obviously.
Old August 26th 17, 11:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 8/25/2017 6:11 PM, Bill W wrote:

snip

Not for me, not even close. It is nearly crippled compared to LR. But
again, one of these days I'll grab a video card and compare everything
all over again. It's either the video card, or a PC vs Mac issue.

A few days ago I got an email from On1, apologizing for some of there
screw ups, and making the product available for about $49, until 8/31.
At that price I will give it a try.

--
PeterN
Old August 26th 17, 11:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 8/25/2017 7:23 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 15:05:41 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Aug 25, 2017, Tony Cooper wrote
(in ):

Not the case. I've played around with it some more, and find no
advantage to what I already use. No reason to keep it.

It is a different approach, and I find where it works very well is as a
Lightroom plugin.
...but that is not the beta.

The Beta version is clunky and slow.

Perhaps that is the issue.
I have no idea where the Win edition Beta has been shorted on performance,
features, or tools when compared with the Mac edition final release

Well, it's Beta so you would expect it isn't up to par with a released
final version.

The sliders are a pain in the
ass compared to the sliders in, say, LR that can be ticked up/down
with the arrow keys or values typed in. There's a significant delay
between movement and result in the Beta. Export takes forever.

In the Mac edition I can’t say that I have found export particularly slow,
and when I use it as an LR plugin export is made from LR.

I can only evaluate what it does on my system, and it is *extremely*
slow. The sliders, though, are the worst part. I expect they'll get
feedback on that and improve that aspect.

The released final version may be quite a good program for those who
don't have LR/PS, but I do so I see no need to explore further. But,
it was interesting to check it out.

The benefit for those using LR/PS is using Luminar as a plugin, and having a
standalone for those other times.

The main advantage, as I see it, is all of those preset effects
possible. I guess that's OK for those who want to play around with an
image to see different effects, but I don't have the patience to do
so. It's like all of those presents in NIK.

The "Center of Attention", for example, is a quickie way of what can
be done in PS with a radial filter or by creating a vignette. OK for
those who don't want to learn how to use the PS tools or the radial
filter in LR.

I won't say whether you or I are more type A. but, I like the presets.
They give me some inspiration. I usually make adjustments to the
presets. Actually I like that they give me different looks and thoughts.
I leave the final decision to the image. The image tells me which is best.

I'm sure Luminar's Windows version, when it's finalized, will be a
useful program and an economical alternative to PS for some. It just
isn't something that interests me.

--
PeterN