[SI] Steeples comments

Old March 1st 13, 05:42 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
PeterN[_3_]

Default [SI] Steeples comments

On 2/12/2013 12:02 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
Best responses to a mandate in quite a while. The SI is clearly alive and
well. I'll try to be brief, as my alarm will go off at 4:19 AM (11 mins
earlier than usual).

Agreed.

Peter Newman Atlanta
Can't make up my mind. Colors are nice, but the picture is so busy my eyes
won't focus. On balance, I think it's OK.

Sorry about my late response.

Your eyes not focusing are the fault of the image, not your eyes. It was
a night shot, hand held, as I didn't want to carry a tripod on the
plane. I like the composition and will eventually do something with it.

Peter Newman Maine
Interesting, albeit busy. I'd prefer to see the entire flags, and for it to be
less murky overall.

There was still a morning haze that I tried to depict something beyond a
post card shot. I thought leaving a portion of the flags in would help.
You are right, it is not as strong an image as I would have liked.

As always, I appreciate comments positive or negative.

--
PeterN
Old March 1st 13, 09:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Robert Coe

On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 12:05:06 -0500, Tony Cooper
wrote:
: On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 11:42:43 -0500, PeterN
: wrote:
:
[...]
: And the rest of us would appreciate comments on our submissions. There
: are a couple of people who regularly post comments on the images, but
: too few do so.

It's very much worth the effort, for those who can find the time. (Sometimes I
can and sometimes not; I'll try to be more consistent in the future.)
Commenting on others' work helps the commenter learn to see his own work more
objectively and is apt to make him/her a better photographer.

I recently joined CIPNE (Commercial/Industrial Photographers of New England),
an organization whose members have been struggling to recover from the
economic effects of the Great Republican Depression of the Lesser Bush
Administration. Their principal claim to relevance is their quarterly lectures
by renowned professional photographers. I've been to two so far and found them
extremely entertaining and informative. I asked the president about their
annual photo competition, since their Web site shows no winners since 2011. He
told me they'd had to cancel last year's event for lack of participation and
asked for ideas on how to jump start it this year. I referred him to the
Shoot-In as an example of a model that seems to work over an extended period.
(Theirs is a little different, though: they actually have cash prizes. I told
him I'm definitely in if they have it this year!)

Bob
Old March 2nd 13, 12:08 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Rob

wrote:

[...]

How do you do that as its better to understand the background to the image.

Old March 2nd 13, 01:04 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

You do that by putting your thoughts regarding any specific image into
words. Constructive criticism is not simple or easy. A fair amount of
thought has to be put into it to be able to say more than "I like that
shot", or "I don't like that one".Your comments can be based on initial
impression, impact as an art work good or bad, technical excellence, or
technical failure. An understanding of the background to the capture of
the image is irrelevant.

A technically good image is going to be good regardless of any of our
individual tastes. A good, or even great landscape might not be Tony's
particularly favorite type of image, given that he favors candids and
street photography, but he is able to see and address what he
recognizes as good, or bad in an image, and explain what he likes, or
doesn't like it.

Each shot has to be able to stand or fall on its own, regardless of
circumstances of the capture.

A bad out, of focus shot is just that, and there is nothing wrong with
telling the photographer that is what you take away from the the shot,
regardless of what the shooter feels should be taken into consideration
regarding the background circumstances of the shoot leading to that
bad, out of focus image.
....and it is always nice to be able to let the photographer know what
it is you particularly like about a shot and why.

Savageduck

Old March 2nd 13, 12:37 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Rob

wrote:

[...]

No not the feedback bit, understand that,

I want to send some details (not the exif data) with my submitted image.
is this information placed within the body of the email?

Old March 2nd 13, 04:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

OK! Understood.
Just advise Bowser that there are notes/comments included with
something like [+Comments] in the subject line, and add those comments
to the submission email.

Savageduck

Old March 2nd 13, 06:40 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
PeterN[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

It depends. Most of the time Bowser has been pretty good about that. But
keep in mind, if you do a lot of that, we may have to increase his pay.

--
PeterN
Old March 3rd 13, 02:00 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Rob

On 3/03/2013 2:13 AM, Savageduck wrote:
No not the feedback bit, understand that,

I want to send some details (not the exif data) with my submitted
image. is this information placed within the body of the email?

OK! Understood.
Just advise Bowser that there are notes/comments included with something
like [+Comments] in the subject line, and add those comments to the
submission email.

Savageduck

That's what I didn't understand.

Thanks
Old March 7th 13, 03:37 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
otter

Default Steeples comments

wrote:

[...]

I vote that we double his salary!
Old March 7th 13, 09:57 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Rob

wrote:

[...]

He is already on a fairly big yearly retainer.