For you aviation buffs

Old April 21st 13, 10:39 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

Default For you aviation buffs

On 2013-04-21 13:10:26 -0700, Eric Stevens said:

On Sun, 21 Apr 2013 07:05:37 -0700, Savageduck

On 2013-04-17 15:09:37 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

On 2013.04.17 17:53 , Savageduck wrote:

It has had a rough life on the airshow curcuit.

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviatio.../1/1612132.jpg

"There are two kinds of pilots. Those who have landed gear up and
those
who will."
(An expression that doesn't hold much anymore but was popular
in the 70's).

A Belgian pilot I knew eventually did the feat.

His name was Guerin. ("gair-ain" in French, but we teased him as
"Gear-i n)

My father managed to get through WWII without a wheels up landing.
However, he remembers July 8, 1944, the day he "got blown up" after a
Japanese warehouse at Fac Fac, New Guinea exploded in front of him on a
low level strafing run, and he flew through the airborne debris. The
result was he had a japanese ammunition case jammed in the intercooler
intake of one of the engines of his P-38L necessitating a 290 mile
single engine flight to return to his home airfield.

It even made it into the 9th fighter Squadron Unit history:
"Until the 8th, the missions flown by the squadron were very prosaic
patrols, but on this date our planes escorted B-25's to Fac Fac. Upon
completion of the bombing all the flights strafed the target with fine
results. Lt. H. "Daddy Duck" strafed a warehouse which turned out to be
an ammunition depot. The resultant explosion threw debris to a very
respectable height. Passing thru all the flying boxes and miscellaneous
matter fouled up the coolant system of his plane, and Lt. "Daddy Duck"
came home on one engine with his right prop feathered, a distance of 290
miles, landing safely. Pieces of ammunition boxes lodged in his
intercoolers bore mute testimony to the fate of the warehouse. This was
an example of good minimum altitude strafing."

http://db.tt/uHYaWaFm

The inspiration for your "Savageduck" nickname is now revealed.

John

Just a "Duck" redaction, or would that be "reducktion"?

....but before he switched to P-38s, he flew a P47D named "BigAssBurd".
I also obscured our last name in the shot below taken at Dobodura, New
Guinea.
http://db.tt/17ViYIJ7

It says "Bigasburd" in your photograph, though.

John

Phingr phahlt! One "S" & two upper case letters too many.

I knew I had seen that name and picture somewhere. P47 was like
driving a mack truck compared to the P38. The name came from
what pilots thought of the P47

w..

Well as Dad said about the P-47, there was nothing which could catch it
in a dive. Just wing over and head down hill with all that weight and
16 cylinders driving it.

What happened to the other two cylinders?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratt_%26_Whitney_R-2800

Brayn phart.

As far as the P-38 goes, he said that until it got aileron boost with
the P-38J & P-38L the earlier editions pretty much handled like a
truck, and gave the pilots a good workout. He said flying the P-38J & L
models was like having power steering

Savageduck

Old April 21st 13, 11:09 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-04-21 13:34:42 -0700, Alan Browne

On 2013-04-17 15:09:37 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

[...]

I'm sure the duck was just testing you...

I appreciate the support, but naah! I goofed.

(Note: radial engines always have an uneven number of cylinders per
row, so 16 cyl. is impossible). More common were 14 (2x7), 18 (2x9) 27
(3x9). I think there were some 4x7 or 4x9's out there too) 10 or 15
cyl. is "possible" but I don't know of any...).

Bleriot use a 3 cylinder radial for a while.

(The only WW-II 5 cylinder radial I recall was the APU for the B-24 (I
think). A fellow here built a homebuilt and used one as the engine.
It had not been out of its crate since WW II. But it looked brand new.
Took a good hour to start the first time (carburetor set up), but after
that it was a champ)

The five cylinder radials didn't much make it out of WWI, there was the
French "Gnome" which went from their original 5 cylinder to 9 during
WWI.

The B-24 used a 14 cylinder R1830 Twin Wasp.
By 1935 most of the military radials used by the US were P&W twin
radials. Exceptions were the AT-6 Texan which ran an R-1340 9 cylinder,
and the Stearman NS2S which used a 7 cylinder Continental R-670. The
great Beechcraft 17 "Staggerwing" use a "Wasp Junior" R-985.

Savageduck

Old April 21st 13, 11:16 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 2013-04-21 13:34:42 -0700, Alan Browne

(The only WW-II 5 cylinder radial I recall was the APU for the B-24 (I
think). A fellow here built a homebuilt and used one as the engine.
It had not been out of its crate since WW II. But it looked brand
new. Took a good hour to start the first time (carburetor set up), but
after that it was a champ)

The B-24 used a 14 cylinder R1830 Twin Wasp.

I was talking about the _APU_ for the B-24.

--
"A Canadian is someone who knows how to have sex in a canoe."
-Pierre Berton
Old April 21st 13, 11:26 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]