Lunar eclipse to shoot around 3am EST

Old August 28th 07, 02:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
RichA

Default Lunar eclipse to shoot around 3am EST

Info:

http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclips...2007Aug28.html

How to shoot:

http://www.mreclipse.com/LEphoto/LEphoto.html

Undriven mounts (tripods) mean exposures over 1 second at 500mm
equivalent will blur due to the motion of the Earth.

Old August 28th 07, 04:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Troy Piggins[_4_]

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.]
* RichA is quoted & my replies are inline below :
Info:

http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclips...2007Aug28.html

How to shoot:

http://www.mreclipse.com/LEphoto/LEphoto.html

Undriven mounts (tripods) mean exposures over 1 second at 500mm
equivalent will blur due to the motion of the Earth.

Anyone got any tips for shooting this tonight with a tripod,
70-200 f/2.8, 1.4x and 2x extenders? I read stop down to f/11 or
so. Anything else to look out for?

--
Troy Piggins
Gallery: http://piggo.com/~troy/gallery
Old August 28th 07, 06:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

"Troy Piggins" wrote in message
["Followup-To:" header set to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.]
* RichA is quoted & my replies are inline below :
Info:

http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclips...2007Aug28.html

How to shoot:

http://www.mreclipse.com/LEphoto/LEphoto.html

Undriven mounts (tripods) mean exposures over 1 second at 500mm
equivalent will blur due to the motion of the Earth.

Anyone got any tips for shooting this tonight with a tripod,
70-200 f/2.8, 1.4x and 2x extenders? I read stop down to f/11 or
so. Anything else to look out for?

Expose for sun lit. Moony 8 rule. Manual WB to daylight.

Old August 28th 07, 06:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Troy Piggins[_4_]

* Pete D is quoted & my replies are inline below :

"Troy Piggins" wrote in message
["Followup-To:" header set to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.]
* RichA is quoted & my replies are inline below :
Info:

http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclips...2007Aug28.html

How to shoot:

http://www.mreclipse.com/LEphoto/LEphoto.html

Undriven mounts (tripods) mean exposures over 1 second at 500mm
equivalent will blur due to the motion of the Earth.

Anyone got any tips for shooting this tonight with a tripod,
70-200 f/2.8, 1.4x and 2x extenders? I read stop down to f/11 or
so. Anything else to look out for?

Expose for sun lit. Moony 8 rule. Manual WB to daylight.

Thanks. LOL I read on a forum somewhere a guy asking what
flash settings to use.

I thought maybe that Moony 8 rule may not work. We are not
dealing with a fully lit moon here. During the eclipse it's red
because of light from the red end of the spectrum bending around
the earth while moon is diametrically opposite sun. Surely that
light will be not as strong as normal full moon?

--
Troy Piggins
Old August 28th 07, 08:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

[...]

Of course, try some average settings and have a look and adjust as needed
really. Don't drop your shutter speed too low. Plenty of time to experiment.

Old August 28th 07, 12:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Frank Arthur

"Troy Piggins" wrote in message
["Followup-To:" header set to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.]
* RichA is quoted & my replies are inline below :
Info:

http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclips...2007Aug28.html

How to shoot:

http://www.mreclipse.com/LEphoto/LEphoto.html

Undriven mounts (tripods) mean exposures over 1 second at 500mm
equivalent will blur due to the motion of the Earth.

Anyone got any tips for shooting this tonight with a tripod,
70-200 f/2.8, 1.4x and 2x extenders? I read stop down to f/11 or
so. Anything else to look out for?

Question? If you stop down to f11 why would you need
an f2.8 lens to do it with?

Old August 28th 07, 01:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
N[_3_]

"Frank Arthur" wrote in message
.. .

"Troy Piggins" wrote in message
["Followup-To:" header set to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.]
* RichA is quoted & my replies are inline below :
Info:

http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclips...2007Aug28.html

How to shoot:

http://www.mreclipse.com/LEphoto/LEphoto.html

Undriven mounts (tripods) mean exposures over 1 second at 500mm
equivalent will blur due to the motion of the Earth.

Anyone got any tips for shooting this tonight with a tripod,
70-200 f/2.8, 1.4x and 2x extenders? I read stop down to f/11 or
so. Anything else to look out for?

Question? If you stop down to f11 why would you need
an f2.8 lens to do it with?

Think teleconverters......

Old August 28th 07, 01:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Troy Piggins[_4_]

* Frank Arthur is quoted & my replies are inline below :

"Troy Piggins" wrote in message
["Followup-To:" header set to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.]
* RichA is quoted & my replies are inline below :
Info:

http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclips...2007Aug28.html

How to shoot:

http://www.mreclipse.com/LEphoto/LEphoto.html

Undriven mounts (tripods) mean exposures over 1 second at 500mm
equivalent will blur due to the motion of the Earth.

Anyone got any tips for shooting this tonight with a tripod,
70-200 f/2.8, 1.4x and 2x extenders? I read stop down to f/11 or
so. Anything else to look out for?

Question? If you stop down to f11 why would you need
an f2.8 lens to do it with?

I need to use a f/2.8 lens because it's the only one I own ;-)
The above is my gear list in part.

Plus, as someone else just mentioned, when using a 1.4x TC you
lose one stop so it becomes max f/4 lens effectively.

When using my 2x TC it's 2 stops, so it becomes a f/5.6 lens.

Plus I understand using lenses at 1 or 2 stops down from their
max aperture gives sharper images - sweet spots etc. I haven't
personally tested this, but others have.

Old August 28th 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Frank Arthur

[...]

Fair enough "Troy". If you have a good quality 70-200f2.8 lens you
should get good sharp images at f2.8 Since you will only be shooting
at points of light you might gain by sticking with f2.8 and take
advantage of the faster shutter speed. The 1.4x or 2x converters may
not gain anything if you loose resolution while doing it.