21MP 1Ds Mark III Announced

Old August 20th 07, 09:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo
Wayne J. Cosshall

Default 21MP 1Ds Mark III Announced

Hi All,

The 1Ds Mark III officially announced:
http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=1071

Cheers,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall
Photography and Art Forums http://www.dimagemaker.com/forums/index.php
Old August 20th 07, 10:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo
Mick Brown

"Wayne J. Cosshall" wrote in news:46c957eb$0$6925
:

http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=1071

Good news for Hard rive manufacturers LOL

Mick Brown

Old August 20th 07, 11:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo
frederick

Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
Hi All,

The 1Ds Mark III officially announced:
http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=1071

Cheers,

Wayne

Pretty impressive, but you can get a medium format Mamiya ZD for $1,000
less.
Old August 20th 07, 12:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo
David J. Littleboy

"frederick" wrote:
Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
Hi All,

The 1Ds Mark III officially announced:
http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=1071

Pretty impressive, but you can get a medium format Mamiya ZD for $1,000
less.

Mamiya says US$9,999. Where are you seeing it for US$7,000???

http://www.mamiya.com/cameras.asp?id=1&id2=2281

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old August 20th 07, 12:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo
acl

On Aug 20, 1:21 pm, "David J. Littleboy" wrote:
"frederick" wrote:
Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
Hi All,

The 1Ds Mark III officially announced:
http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=1071

Pretty impressive, but you can get a medium format Mamiya ZD for $1,000
less.

Mamiya says US$9,999. Where are you seeing it for US$7,000???

http://www.mamiya.com/cameras.asp?id=1&id2=2281

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Hey David, did you notice the 1ds mkiii's pixel pitch?

Old August 20th 07, 01:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo
David J. Littleboy

"acl" wrote:

Hey David, did you notice the 1ds mkiii's pixel pitch?

Nope. Haven't computed it yet. Sheesh. I must be getting old. (Or fried by
the heat.)

Let's see. 21.1 MP implies that'd be 8.2MP in a 1.6x camera or 9.4MP in a
1.5x camera.

5616 x 3744 = 3744/24 = 156 pixels per mm, or 6.4 microns.

That's a Nyquist frequency of 78 lp/mm, and you'd like 50% MTF at around 75%
of that, so that's 58 lp/mm. 800/58 = 13.8, so the beast will probably be,
like the D2x, a tad soft at f/16.

(Has the heat fried my math???)

So for max sharpness, you're going to be shooting at f/8 and f/11 a lot with
lenses under 100mm.

Of course, my reading of figure 5 on this page indicates that there's no
point to bothering with a 14-bit A/D converter on either this or the 40D.
(Note that the 10MP D200 is a straight line down from its ISO 100
performance, which means that the ADC + electronics are adequate to pull out
all the sensor is giving at ISO 100.) It sure looks to me that 14 bits only
will be making sense on the 1DIII and 5DII (if such a creature appears at
16MP).

http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedeta...ary/index.html

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old August 20th 07, 02:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo
acl

On Aug 20, 2:14 pm, "David J. Littleboy" wrote:
"acl" wrote:

Hey David, did you notice the 1ds mkiii's pixel pitch?

Nope. Haven't computed it yet. Sheesh. I must be getting old. (Or fried by
the heat.)

Let's see. 21.1 MP implies that'd be 8.2MP in a 1.6x camera or 9.4MP in a
1.5x camera.

5616 x 3744 = 3744/24 = 156 pixels per mm, or 6.4 microns.

That's a Nyquist frequency of 78 lp/mm, and you'd like 50% MTF at around 75%
of that, so that's 58 lp/mm. 800/58 = 13.8, so the beast will probably be,
like the D2x, a tad soft at f/16.

(Has the heat fried my math???)

No calculator, no idea 6 microns seems right. Right about as big as
the d200's pixels

So for max sharpness, you're going to be shooting at f/8 and f/11 a lot with
lenses under 100mm.

lateral CA can be a serious problem on the d200. I think it'll be a
nightmare to find lenses to use on the 1dsmkiii (if you look at
pixels).

Of course, my reading of figure 5 on this page indicates that there's no
point to bothering with a 14-bit A/D converter on either this or the 40D.
(Note that the 10MP D200 is a straight line down from its ISO 100
performance, which means that the ADC + electronics are adequate to pull out
all the sensor is giving at ISO 100.) It sure looks to me that 14 bits only
will be making sense on the 1DIII and 5DII (if such a creature appears at
16MP).

http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedeta...erformance.sum...

Yes, that's what one would conclude from that page. Probaly the case.
Let's see what the advantage of 14 bit ADCs are for the 10mp camera
(the 1dmkiii or whatever the right name is), I am curious. Do you know
of any test or practical demonstration?

A few days ago, I attempted to go to dpreview to check if anybody had
done it; instead, I ended up having an argument in the nikon forum
with some pompous idiot who claimed that the size of the diffraction
spot depends on the focal length (he also claimed that photons have a
length equal to their wavelength, and other things of this sort...).
So if there's a test somewhere there about the 14-bit ADCs, I missed
it Any links?

Old August 20th 07, 04:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo
Not Disclosed

Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
Hi All,

The 1Ds Mark III officially announced:
http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=1071

Cheers,

Wayne

So how long have you been a shill for Canon??

Old August 20th 07, 04:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo
Annika1980

On Aug 20, 11:48 am, Not Disclosed wrote:
Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
Hi All,

The 1Ds Mark III officially announced:
http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=1071

Cheers,

Wayne

So how long have you been a shill for Canon??

I thought Wayne was a Nikon shill?