Circular Polarizer/UV Filter Question

Old August 18th 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Gino[_2_]

Default Circular Polarizer/UV Filter Question

If you keep the polarizer on the lens all the time, you will loose one stop
of light.

BRH wrote in message ...
I just bought a circular polarizer for my D80.

Is it best to:
a) remove the UV filter that I have on the lens now as protection nad use
just the polarizer,
b) place the polarizer between the lens and the UV filter and leave it
there, or
c) just put the polarizer on top of the UV filter and remove it/re-install
it as needed?

Most of my photos will be outdoor in natural light --
nature/landscape/scenery.

Thanks!

Old August 18th 07, 09:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
BRH

OK, Thanks.

So, if I don't leave it on all the time -- when I want to use the
polarizer, should simply I place it over the UV filter, or is it better
to place it between the UV filter and the lens?

Thanks again.

Old August 18th 07, 09:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Gino[_2_]

Personally in this situation, I would remove the UV filter and just use the
polarizer. There is no need to use the UV filter for 'protection' as the
polarizer will take it's place to protect the front element.

FYIW, I never use UV filters, but that's just my choice, and a controversial
one at that. Not a subject I want to get involved with, as there are a huge
amount of mixed opinions.

Old August 18th 07, 09:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bob Salomon

In article , BRH BRH
wrote:

I just bought a circular polarizer for my D80.

Is it best to:
a) remove the UV filter that I have on the lens now as protection nad
use just the polarizer,
b) place the polarizer between the lens and the UV filter and leave it
there, or
c) just put the polarizer on top of the UV filter and remove
it/re-install it as needed?

Most of my photos will be outdoor in natural light --
nature/landscape/scenery.

Thanks!

Remove the UV. Actually throw the UV away and get a Protection filter to
use on the lens when you don't use the polarizer.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old August 18th 07, 10:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John[_9_]

BRH wrote:
I just bought a circular polarizer for my D80.

Is it best to:
a) remove the UV filter that I have on the lens now as protection nad
use just the polarizer,
b) place the polarizer between the lens and the UV filter and leave it
there, or
c) just put the polarizer on top of the UV filter and remove
it/re-install it as needed?

Most of my photos will be outdoor in natural light --
nature/landscape/scenery.

Thanks!

Keep the UV filter on over the CP. You would want to have protection for
the CP as you would for the camera lens. Some CP filters cost quite a bit
and more than the UV in any event.
Jon.

Old August 18th 07, 10:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
BRH

Bob Salomon wrote:
In article , BRH BRH
wrote:

I just bought a circular polarizer for my D80.

Is it best to:
a) remove the UV filter that I have on the lens now as protection nad
use just the polarizer,
b) place the polarizer between the lens and the UV filter and leave it
there, or
c) just put the polarizer on top of the UV filter and remove
it/re-install it as needed?

Most of my photos will be outdoor in natural light --
nature/landscape/scenery.

Thanks!

Remove the UV. Actually throw the UV away and get a Protection filter to
use on the lens when you don't use the polarizer.

Excuse my ignorance about this, but what is a protection filter, and how
does it differ from a UV filter? I bought the UV filter strictly as
"protection" for the lens.

Thanks.
Old August 18th 07, 10:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Ruether

"John" wrote in message . ..

Keep the UV filter on over the CP. You would want to have protection for the CP as you would for the camera lens. Some CP filters
cost quite a bit and more than the UV in any event.
Jon.

Ummmm, people fret about single vs. multicoating on UV filters, then put
two filters together with parallel glass surfaces?!?! No-o-o-o-o. . . . . ! ;-)
(The first is a non-issue; the second isn't...)
--
David Ruether

http://www.donferrario.com/ruether

Old August 18th 07, 10:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
BRH

John wrote:

BRH wrote:

I just bought a circular polarizer for my D80.

Is it best to:
a) remove the UV filter that I have on the lens now as protection nad
use just the polarizer,
b) place the polarizer between the lens and the UV filter and leave it
there, or
c) just put the polarizer on top of the UV filter and remove
it/re-install it as needed?

Most of my photos will be outdoor in natural light --
nature/landscape/scenery.

Thanks!

Keep the UV filter on over the CP. You would want to have protection for
the CP as you would for the camera lens. Some CP filters cost quite a bit
and more than the UV in any event.
Jon.

Hmmm... This contradicts the other reply that I got.

Actually, in my case the CP filter that I bought cost less than the UV
filter that I bought a week ago.

Based on that, I guess that I should use the CP filter to protect the UV
filter. LOL.

Thanks.
Old August 18th 07, 10:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Celcius

BRH wrote in message ...
I just bought a circular polarizer for my D80.

Is it best to:
a) remove the UV filter that I have on the lens now as protection nad use
just the polarizer,
b) place the polarizer between the lens and the UV filter and leave it
there, or
c) just put the polarizer on top of the UV filter and remove it/re-install
it as needed?

Most of my photos will be outdoor in natural light --
nature/landscape/scenery.

Thanks!

Right or wrong, what I've learned is NEVER use 2 filters at once. Therefore
if you use a polarizer, no UV and vice versa.
Marcel