Nikon blast - good news!

Old August 24th 07, 04:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington

Default Nikon blast - good news!

"Alan Browne" wrote in message

(Oh, and for you DX lens owners, tough ****).

Not really. The D3 will recognize DX lenses and effectively crop its sensor
to suit.

Nikon thinks of everything.

Neil

Old August 24th 07, 06:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ASAAR

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 23:02:41 -0400, Neil Harrington wrote:

Not really. The D3 will recognize DX lenses and effectively crop its sensor
to suit.

Nikon thinks of everything.

Did Nikon allow that feature to be disabled, in case one wants to
get the circular set of pixels beyond the DX crop? By definition,
some of the discarded pixels would be closer to the center of the
image circle than others in the corners of the frame. And some
photographers may enjoy a slightly larger frame despite the
additional vignetting, and that might even provide a reminder from
today's technology to pictures produced by cameras a century ago.

Old August 24th 07, 07:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington

"ASAAR" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 23:02:41 -0400, Neil Harrington wrote:

Not really. The D3 will recognize DX lenses and effectively crop its
sensor
to suit.

Nikon thinks of everything.

Did Nikon allow that feature to be disabled, in case one wants to
get the circular set of pixels beyond the DX crop?

Dunno; the description I read didn't say.

By definition,
some of the discarded pixels would be closer to the center of the
image circle than others in the corners of the frame. And some
photographers may enjoy a slightly larger frame despite the
additional vignetting, and that might even provide a reminder from
today's technology to pictures produced by cameras a century ago.

That's true. . . .

It's all hypothetical for me anyway -- I ain't buyin' no dang D3. ;-)

I don't think I'll live long enough to exhaust the capabilities of my D80,
to tell you the truth.

Neil

Old August 24th 07, 08:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ASAAR

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 02:31:30 -0400, Neil Harrington wrote:

It's all hypothetical for me anyway -- I ain't buyin' no dang D3. ;-)

Nor I. No matter how nice, it's well outside my size and weight
budget.

I don't think I'll live long enough to exhaust the capabilities of my D80,
to tell you the truth.

True, and the same may be true for my D50, but I still wouldn't
complain if a firmware upgrade added some D80, D200 or D300
features. Not long after buying a P&S in 2004 I planned to upgrade
to a Nikon DSLR in 2 1/2 to 3 years, and 3 years later that's just
what happened when I bought the D50. At that time, my new plan
stayed about the same, to upgrade to a D90 or D300 after another 2
1/2 to 3 years. Unlike some of the older DSLR chauvinists, I
wouldn't mind at all having the new dual optical/live view system.

Old August 24th 07, 12:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Matt Clara

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
Alan Browne wrote:

As you all know by now, Nikon have hit one out of the park by putting up
two new FF sensored bodies. This is great news for everyone as now Canon
has a most serious competitor in the pro machines.

Oops... 1 FF machine. Sorry.

Yeah, that Polson set me up to think the D300 would have a (near) ff
sensor--dang you Tony! I was all set to spend way too much money on yet
another camera, wife be damned. I really like my D200, though, so I'll get
over it soon enough. Finest built camera I've ever owned. (And no DX in
the stable yet--I'm going to hold out for the D400, with its lovely full
frame sensor... ;-)

--
www.mattclara.com

Old August 24th 07, 03:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Neil Harrington wrote:
"Alan Browne" wrote in message

(Oh, and for you DX lens owners, tough ****).

Not really. The D3 will recognize DX lenses and effectively crop its sensor
to suit.

Nikon thinks of everything.

Making the D3 able to accept "DX" is not exactly rocket science. My
point was that those who skimped on FF lenses to get DX now have DX
lenses that will vignette (or auto-crop?) in the camera. These lenses
will stay in the bag ... or at home ... or on e-bay.

OTOH: I would bet that most who will shell out for a D3 don't even own
DX glass...

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old August 24th 07, 04:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
jean

Default Nikonians. Get ready to JUNK lots of old glass...

"RichA" a écrit dans le message de
oups.com...
On Aug 23, 8:06 pm, Rita Ä Berkowitz ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote:
RichA wrote:
Only to find out those old film lenses just do not cut the mustard (as
Canon found out) with FF SENSORS.
Get ready to scrap LOTS of old glass if you buy that D3.

NONSENSE! Canon users were forced to use the classic Nikkors of their FF
bodies. The D3 will not change this.

Rita

Start grabbing them now then, because the prices are about to jump!

You HAVE to be a politician or a broker, say one thing at 18:58 and the
complete oposite at 19:39...

Old August 25th 07, 11:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Philip Homburg

In article ,
Alan Browne wrote:
OTOH: I would bet that most who will shell out for a D3 don't even own
DX glass...

That strikes me as odd. What do they have as an alternative to the 12-24?

(I assume that it will be mostly D2H/D2X users that upgrade to the D3).
Old August 25th 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Philip Homburg wrote:
In article ,
Alan Browne wrote:
OTOH: I would bet that most who will shell out for a D3 don't even own
DX glass...

That strikes me as odd. What do they have as an alternative to the 12-24?

Good point. But those who were forced to buy the chintzy little f/4
will rush back to the 17-35 f/2.8 that's been languishing in crop-land.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old August 25th 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Gisle Hannemyr wrote:
RichA writes:
Only to find out those old film lenses just do not cut the mustard
(as Canon found out) with FF SENSORS. Get ready to scrap LOTS of
old glass if you buy that D3.

Nonsense. I've already tested my old Nikkors om FX digital, and they
are just fine. Here is the good ole' Nikkor 14mm fully open (f/2.8).
Corner sharpness is adequate (and gets better when I stop down, and
vignetting a non-issue):
http://foto.no/cgi-bin/bildegalleri/....cgi?id=319177

You need to put up an image with more detail in the corners on the focus
plane in order to make corner sharpness assertions. And post full size
crops from those corners too.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.