using an ipod with a difital camera

Old January 4th 05, 06:01 PM
Tolgan

Default using an ipod with a difital camera

I'm shopping around for an ipod to use for playing music, and also to
download images to when travelling so as to free up memory in the camera.

Are there any bits I need to make sure the ipod comes with in order to do
the latter?

(I'm also interested in what bits I need to make sure I can play the ipod
through a hifi system...and whether there are any cheaper clones worth
looking at...but I guess that's of topic for this ng !)

Old January 4th 05, 08:40 PM
B. Peg

"Tolgan" wrote in message
I'm shopping around for an ipod to use for playing music, and also to
download images to when travelling so as to free up memory in the camera.

Are there any bits I need to make sure the ipod comes with in order to do
the latter?

(I'm also interested in what bits I need to make sure I can play the ipod
through a hifi system...and whether there are any cheaper clones worth
looking at...but I guess that's of topic for this ng !)

If you are thinking of multimedia, I'd go for the iRiver PMP-120. Many more
built in features like FM tuning, etc. than the iPod which requires a lot of
external costly plugins to do the same things. Comes with the video and
line-out cables to connect it to your home entertainment system.

However, I do not care for built-in proprietary batteries on any unit (iPod
or iRiver) as they require down time to charge and do not seem to deliver as
long a playback as user replaceable packs or cells, but that's just me.
Something bugs me about having to send it to the factory for a $100 battery
job every year or two. No doubt by then, you'll want something else though
and that may be their marketing scam.

B~

Old January 4th 05, 09:05 PM
nospam

B. Peg wrote:

However, I do not care for built-in proprietary batteries on any unit (iPod
or iRiver) as they require down time to charge and do not seem to deliver as
long a playback as user replaceable packs or cells, but that's just me.
Something bugs me about having to send it to the factory for a $100 battery
job every year or two. No doubt by then, you'll want something else though
and that may be their marketing scam.

there is no downtime to charge the ipod - it works just fine when
attached to the charging cable or in the dock.

there is also no need to send it in every year or two. my ipod is going
on three years old and i still get 8 hours or so. if you are concerned
about premature battery failure, get the extended warranty for $59.

Old January 5th 05, 12:51 AM
Jim Redelfs

"Tolgan" wrote:

I'm shopping around for an ipod to use for playing music, and also to
download images to when travelling so as to free up memory in the camera.

Are there any bits I need to make sure the ipod comes with in order to do
the latter?

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...oduct_Id=1 73
207

(I'm also interested in what bits I need to make sure I can play the ipod
through a hifi system...

There are several. Google "ipod whole-house system".

JR
Old January 5th 05, 07:53 AM
B. Peg

"nospam" wrote:
there is no downtime to charge the ipod - it works just fine when
attached to the charging cable or in the dock.

To me, sitting around while the player is in a dock charging is downtime. I
can't go anywhere with it unless it's on a very long cord.

there is also no need to send it in every year or two. my ipod is going
on three years old and i still get 8 hours or so. if you are concerned
about premature battery failure, get the extended warranty for $59.

Don't use it much do you since the battery was designed for 500
charge/discharge cycles. I have toothbrushes and razors that are almost
replaced every year or two since they fail to hold a charge very long. Same
for damn car battery. Only lasts for about 2 years (hot environment around
here) and it doesn't matter what the life expectancy is in months. They
just pro-rate it and you buy another. Oh, co-workers failed to hold a
charge in year and a half. It was a little over $100 to do it (at least it
came back looking better than it did!). His craps in about 4 -5 hours but
that's just because he has better in-ear phones, plays it loud to mask while
on construction sites, and his rips are high (192-256) causing the drive to
access more often. He claims the 128 rips bother him with the better
phones. He often plugs into a generator on site at lunch or in restaurants
to make it the rest of the day (downtime). So he's on charger maybe twice a
day 5 days a week.

As I said, I do not care for built-in proprietary batteries. Period.
Unfortunately, I got stuff with them but I don't like them since there is
nothing else out there and the replacement is just that - a replacement. No
wonder Apple puts a new generation ipod out about every 500 hours worth of
charges and discharges. You'll soon be buying a new one.

B~

Old January 5th 05, 09:30 AM
nospam

B. Peg wrote:

"nospam" wrote:
there is no downtime to charge the ipod - it works just fine when
attached to the charging cable or in the dock.

To me, sitting around while the player is in a dock charging is downtime. I
can't go anywhere with it unless it's on a very long cord.

you are never home more than a couple hours? never in a car for any
length of time? seriously - when you come home, drop it in the dock and
listen to some music while it charges. worst case, charge it overnight.
you do sleep, don't you?

there is also no need to send it in every year or two. my ipod is going
on three years old and i still get 8 hours or so. if you are concerned
about premature battery failure, get the extended warranty for $59.

Don't use it much do you since the battery was designed for 500
charge/discharge cycles.

i use it nearly every day. originally it had a 12hr capacity, now it is
roughly 8hr. yes, it has dropped but it is still more than enough for
when i'm away from a plug.

I have toothbrushes and razors that are almost
replaced every year or two since they fail to hold a charge very long.

more than likely they do not have a lithium ion battery, so comparisons
of capacity and battery life are not valid.

Same
for damn car battery. Only lasts for about 2 years (hot environment around
here) and it doesn't matter what the life expectancy is in months.

must be something you are doing, since most people i know generally get
5-7 years on a car battery. but then again they don't buy the $19
special. maybe your alternator is not up to snuff or maybe you don't
drive it long enough after starting to recharge it fully. also,
comparing a lead acid car battery to a lithium ion battery is
ludicrous.

They
just pro-rate it and you buy another.

yes, the warrantees on car batteries are annoying.

Oh, co-workers failed to hold a
charge in year and a half. It was a little over $100 to do it (at least it
came back looking better than it did!).

there are places that will do it for less than that. for roughly $30
you can even get a higher capacity battery than in the original.
identical replacements are a little less.

His craps in about 4 -5 hours but
that's just because he has better in-ear phones, plays it loud to mask while
on construction sites, and his rips are high (192-256) causing the drive to
access more often. He claims the 128 rips bother him with the better
phones. He often plugs into a generator on site at lunch or in restaurants
to make it the rest of the day (downtime). So he's on charger maybe twice a
day 5 days a week.

he probably has a 3rd gen which had 8hr life originally, versus 12hr
for the current model and the original ones.

As I said, I do not care for built-in proprietary batteries. Period.

i don't either, but sometimes the functionality of the device outweighs
that drawback. if it used standard batteries it would not be anywhere
near as small. and replacement isn't too expensive anyway.

Unfortunately, I got stuff with them but I don't like them since there is
nothing else out there and the replacement is just that - a replacement.

as i said before, you can have the battery replaced or do it yourself
for as little as $30 or so. it is not a big deal, really.

No
wonder Apple puts a new generation ipod out about every 500 hours worth of
charges and discharges.

they put out a new generation every 6-8 months because like most high
tech toys, it is quickly outdated. hard drive capacities increase, new
features are added, etc.

also, the rated battery capacity is 500 full charge cycles, not 500
hours - that is very different.

You'll soon be buying a new one.

i plan on it. i'm quite happy with this one, and i look forward to a
new one with a larger hard drive.
Old January 5th 05, 12:50 PM
adm

"B. Peg" wrote in message
"nospam" wrote:
there is no downtime to charge the ipod - it works just fine when
attached to the charging cable or in the dock.

To me, sitting around while the player is in a dock charging is downtime.
I can't go anywhere with it unless it's on a very long cord.

What about your car ? I charge mine whenever I'm in the car.....or dock it
at home......

there is also no need to send it in every year or two. my ipod is going
on three years old and i still get 8 hours or so. if you are concerned
about premature battery failure, get the extended warranty for $59.

Don't use it much do you since the battery was designed for 500
charge/discharge cycles.

I've had mine a year or so now (3G) and battery life is still about 7-8
hours - even with the volume high and high bitrate tracks.

As I said, I do not care for built-in proprietary batteries. Period.

Agree with you there.

Unfortunately, I got stuff with them but I don't like them since there is
nothing else out there and the replacement is just that - a replacement.
No wonder Apple puts a new generation ipod out about every 500 hours worth
of charges and discharges. You'll soon be buying a new one.

Or change your own battery yourself - pretty easy (the hardest part is
getting the case open, and I can do that on my iPod in less thant 10
seconds)

http://www.ipodworld.co.uk/public/pi...3g_install.pdf

Mind you - I wouldn't mind an iPod Photo 60G (although unfortunately, it'll
only work with .jpgs...)

Old January 5th 05, 12:51 PM
adm

"Jim Redelfs" wrote in message
"Tolgan" wrote:

I'm shopping around for an ipod to use for playing music, and also to
download images to when travelling so as to free up memory in the camera.

Are there any bits I need to make sure the ipod comes with in order to do
the latter?

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...oduct_Id=1 73
207

If you get the new iPod Photo, do you still need a card reader or does it
come with one ?

Old January 5th 05, 06:43 PM
Mark Weaver

"Tolgan" wrote in message
I'm shopping around for an ipod to use for playing music, and also to
download images to when travelling so as to free up memory in the camera.

Are there any bits I need to make sure the ipod comes with in order to do
the latter?

(I'm also interested in what bits I need to make sure I can play the ipod
through a hifi system...and whether there are any cheaper clones worth
looking at...but I guess that's of topic for this ng !)

You might consider the Archos GMini 120 or 220. Both come with built-in CF
slots for uploading digital camera images (adapter needed for other memory
formats). You can even browse the images (though only in low res
grayscale). And also include recording capabilties:

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/335/C2564/

Less expensive than an iPod, too (especially when you figure in the cost of
a belkin adapter for the iPod). Not a clone, though--Archos sold hard-disk
based MP3 players before Apple did.

Mark