Filter glass for Janpol enlarging lens?

Old May 27th 04, 05:31 AM
Donald Qualls

Default Filter glass for Janpol enlarging lens?

I've recently acquired a Janpol 103 mm f/5.6 enlarging lens, the type
with the color correction filters built into the lens. It's in
excellent condition aside from someone having trimmed the top flange
(which won't cause me any trouble). It needs the filter position on one
screw calibrated (zero setting doesn't have the cyan filter quite clear
of the light path), which shouldn't be hard, but the big problem is that
the magenta filter glass has faded to a blue color with almost no red
left in it.

That's a problem because I had intended to use these filters for VC
contrast control, just like using a color head, at least when enlarging
my 6x9 negatives (I'll find another way for 35 mm, since the El-Omegar
doesn't have those filters built in), and magenta is necessary to that
use. Can anyone suggest a source for suitable magenta cc filtering
glass? If I'm reading the dials correctly, it should be a 140 cc
magenta, and I can cut a larger glass to fit if needed -- the actual
glass is only about an inch square, and I don't envision huge problems
in disassembling the filter section of the lens -- it looks simple enough.

--
I may be a scwewy wabbit, but I'm not going to Alcatwaz!
-- E. J. Fudd, 1954

Donald Qualls, aka The Silent Observer
Lathe Building Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/HomebuiltLathe.htm
Speedway 7x12 Lathe Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/my7x12.htm

and don't expect them to be perfect.

Old May 27th 04, 12:28 PM
Nick Zentena

Donald Qualls wrote:
[...]

Look for places that sell replacement dichro filters for colour enlargers.
Considering the cost I'm not sure it's worth it. I bought my Nikon 105mm for
about the cost of one filter.

http://www.fpointinc.com/web_store/P...cal/fpdich.htm

BTW why is it a problem? All the red is ND. If the blue is still filtering
out the green light shouldn't it be just fine for B&W VC? All I used to use
is a green and a blue filter.

Nick
Old May 27th 04, 07:08 PM
Roman J. Rohleder

Donald Qualls schrieb:

I've recently acquired a Janpol 103 mm f/5.6 enlarging lens, the type
with the color correction filters built into the lens.

I wasnīt aware they made a third version, I only know of the 5,6/50
and /80mm type.

It's in
excellent condition aside from someone having trimmed the top flange
(which won't cause me any trouble). It needs the filter position on one
screw calibrated (zero setting doesn't have the cyan filter quite clear
of the light path),

Somewhere I have a diagram (vertical cut drawing) of the 50mm version.
Do you need it?

This is the german manual:

http://rohleder.gmxhome.de/manuals/janpol.pdf

That's a problem because I had intended to use these filters for VC
contrast control,

This is what I plan to do with mine, too. But I havenīt made it to
calibrate my workflow on that...

just like using a color head, at least when enlarging
my 6x9 negatives (I'll find another way for 35 mm, since the El-Omegar
doesn't have those filters built in), and magenta is necessary to that
use. Can anyone suggest a source for suitable magenta cc filtering
glass?

There are plenty of Agfa and Orwo (the part of Agfa that was left in
the GDR) CC glas filters in packs of a dozen per color available for
cheap. They usually go for one Euro at ebay.de...

Do you want me to send you a link to an example auction?

Gruss, Roman
--
"A man should always keep two things in mind:
one is that he is a fool; the other is that he is going to die."
Old May 28th 04, 11:24 PM
Donald Qualls

Roman J. Rohleder wrote:

Donald Qualls schrieb:
=20
=20
I've recently acquired a Janpol 103 mm f/5.6 enlarging lens, the type=20
with the color correction filters built into the lens.

=20
=20
I wasn=B4t aware they made a third version, I only know of the 5,6/50
and /80mm type.

Well, in fact I'm not certain it's a Janpol. The layout of filter=20
controls is slightly different from the 50 mm and 80 mm version, with=20
both knobs on front, but it does have the illuminating cover for the=20
adjusting mark, as well as a click rotating flange at the top with the=20
M42 thread mounted on it (this is the part that was trimmed by a=20
previous owner -- no big deal, AFAIK). Lettering, as best I can convert =

from what looks like an industrial Cyrillic font, is BETA-22YU 5.6/103=20
872380 (the last, I presume, is a serial number), then a symbol that=20
looks like a cross secion of a cemented achromat. This might be a=20
Soviet/Russian copy of the Janpol design, I suppose...

=20
It's in=20
excellent condition aside from someone having trimmed the top flange=20
(which won't cause me any trouble). It needs the filter position on on=

e=20
screw calibrated (zero setting doesn't have the cyan filter quite clear=

=20
of the light path),

=20
=20
Somewhere I have a diagram (vertical cut drawing) of the 50mm version.
Do you need it?

Surely wouldn't hurt, especially if it's labeled in English.

This is the german manual:
=20
http://rohleder.gmxhome.de/manuals/janpol.pdf

I'm not sure that will help me -- my German is far worse than my=20
Spanish, which itself isn't up to saying more than "hello", "goodbye"=20
and "how are you?" without understanding any answer other than "soy bien!=
"

That's a problem because I had intended to use these filters for VC=20
contrast control,

=20
=20
This is what I plan to do with mine, too. But I haven=B4t made it to
calibrate my workflow on that...

There's lots of information various places on using CC filters for VC -- =

since the CC filter set is calibrated and all the same, 50 CC yellow=20
should be the same with any CC setup.

just like using a color head, at least when enlarging=20
my 6x9 negatives (I'll find another way for 35 mm, since the El-Omegar =

doesn't have those filters built in), and magenta is necessary to that =

use. Can anyone suggest a source for suitable magenta cc filtering=20
glass?=20

=20
=20
There are plenty of Agfa and Orwo (the part of Agfa that was left in
the GDR) CC glas filters in packs of a dozen per color available for
cheap. They usually go for one Euro at ebay.de...
=20
Do you want me to send you a link to an example auction?

Cool! I hadn't even thought to look; I've seen only gelatin filters=20
here. All I really need is a 140 CC magenta, but for a euro or two plus =

shipping, I might just get a whole pack. I'll check if such are=20
available from US sellers (I got this lens from New York).

--=20

Old May 28th 04, 11:27 PM
Donald Qualls

Nick Zentena wrote:

BTW why is it a problem? All the red is ND. If the blue is still filtering
out the green light shouldn't it be just fine for B&W VC? All I used to use
is a green and a blue filter.

It's a problem because the magenta that's there isn't filtering the
green, first; if I mix it with yellow, I see green, so it's not
completely blockging green (as I'd expect, if it no longer looks red to
the eye). And secondly, the filter is not longer transparent, it's
gotten a frosted, translucent appearance (looks like it's on one
surface) that prevents projecting a sharp image through it, so even if
it blocked green well enough for VC use, I couldn't use it.

Another poster suggested Agfa/ORWO CC filter sets, which are apparently
glass and available cheaply -- I'll look for those. No great hurry --
no place to set up the enlarger yet anyway.

Old May 29th 04, 02:48 PM
Roman J. Rohleder

Donald Qualls schrieb:

Lettering, as best I can convert
from what looks like an industrial Cyrillic font, is BETA-22YU 5.6/103
872380 (the last, I presume, is a serial number),

Itīs a Vega-22U (Y/U denouncing an enlarger lens) and the serial
number indicates a production in 1987.

then a symbol that
looks like a cross secion of a cemented achromat.

Thatīs the producers logo. Compare it with the logo collection at
Nathan Daytonīs www.commiecameras.com and with
http://cameras.alfredklomp.com/, the nice site maintained by Alfred
Klomp.

This might be a
Soviet/Russian copy of the Janpol design, I suppose...

Correct. Now, this is really odd. I have never heard of that lens.

Any chance you could send me some close-up images of the lens or post
it at the gallery located at
http://beststuff.com/forums/list.php?f=21 (thats the discussion
forum... "Up one Level" will bring you to the Gallery)? Thanks.

Somewhere I have a diagram (vertical cut drawing) of the 50mm version.
Do you need it?

Surely wouldn't hurt, especially if it's labeled in English.

Itīs not labeled at all and buried in an old GDR darkroom book. Iīll
look it up.

There's lots of information various places on using CC filters for VC --
since the CC filter set is calibrated and all the same, 50 CC yellow
should be the same with any CC setup.

True. I just lack the time and motivation. ;-)

Cool! I hadn't even thought to look; I've seen only gelatin filters
here.

And even those can be put on a piece of glass and inserted in the
lens. If it degrades - replace it throw it away. These are small and
light enough to be sent at the rate of a large letter instead of a
parcel.

The Janpol lenses have glass filters with supposed to be non-fading
dyes. I donīt get it why the soviet kind would degenerate like this.

A cheap source of quality glass should be the glass used for
microscopes. And they might fit without cutting them.

Odd thing, I canīt find any at the moment. #-) Iīll send you the link
if I stumble across an auction.

All I really need is a 140 CC magenta, but for a euro or two plus
shipping, I might just get a whole pack.

Overall that will end up to be cheaper than buying a single filter for
25Dollar.

I'll check if such are
available from US sellers (I got this lens from New York).

Good luck with that.

Gruss, Roman
Old May 29th 04, 10:49 PM
Roman J. Rohleder

Donald Qualls schrieb:

Well, in fact I'm not certain it's a Janpol. The layout of filter
controls is slightly different from the 50 mm and 80 mm version, with
both knobs on front, but it does have the illuminating cover for the
adjusting mark,

etc.pp.

I just realized what may be a big setback for you if the Vega is based
upon the same construction principle as the Janpol.

The Janpol relies on two strips of glas, dyed in three colors (two
each piece) and clear in the middle.

If you watch from the side:

Magenta Clear Yellow
XXXXXX_______OOOOOO

So, to replace it, youīll need to find a piece of glass with the same
specs. That might turn out to be impossible.

So, try to get a set of gelatin filter for both the faded color and
yellow and place them on a piece of glass.

Iīll send you the sketch within the week, then youīll see what I mean.

Gruss, Roman
Old May 29th 04, 11:32 PM
Donald Qualls

Roman J. Rohleder wrote:

Donald Qualls schrieb:
=20
=20
Lettering, as best I can convert=20

=20
from what looks like an industrial Cyrillic font, is BETA-22YU 5.6/103 =

=20
872380 (the last, I presume, is a serial number),

=20

snip

This might be a=20
Soviet/Russian copy of the Janpol design, I suppose...

=20
=20
Correct. Now, this is really odd. I have never heard of that lens.
=20
Any chance you could send me some close-up images of the lens or post
it at the gallery located at
http://beststuff.com/forums/list.php?f=3D21 (thats the discussion
forum... "Up one Level" will bring you to the Gallery)? Thanks.

Not today, but I might be able to manage it over this weekend.

Somewhere I have a diagram (vertical cut drawing) of the 50mm version.=

Do you need it?

Surely wouldn't hurt, especially if it's labeled in English.

=20
=20
It=B4s not labeled at all and buried in an old GDR darkroom book. I=B4l=

look it up.

Cool! This is my real e-mail address.

Cool! I hadn't even thought to look; I've seen only gelatin filters=20
here.

=20
=20
And even those can be put on a piece of glass and inserted in the
lens. If it degrades - replace it throw it away. These are small and
light enough to be sent at the rate of a large letter instead of a
parcel.
=20
The Janpol lenses have glass filters with supposed to be non-fading
dyes. I don=B4t get it why the soviet kind would degenerate like this.
=20
A cheap source of quality glass should be the glass used for
microscopes. And they might fit without cutting them.
=20
Odd thing, I can=B4t find any at the moment. #-) I=B4ll send you the li=

nk
if I stumble across an auction.

Cool!

All I really need is a 140 CC magenta, but for a euro or two plus=20
shipping, I might just get a whole pack.

=20
=20
Overall that will end up to be cheaper than buying a single filter for
25Dollar.

Depends on the cost of shipping from Europe to the US. I've paid more=20
for shipping than the bid even for domestic purchases, though I=20
generally just figure in the shipping when I decide how much to bid.=20
Problem is, I don't know for certain what it costs to ship from Europe.

I'll check if such are=20
available from US sellers (I got this lens from New York).

=20
=20
Good luck with that.

Thanks!